Principle -> Application

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Principle -> Application

Postby everything on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 am

once you have your legs connected. various arts (but probably not taijiquan) have a technique to pull the other person's leg out. I don't think you'd call it a sweep in the sense of kicking away a leg right before the foot makes contact. since either person could do that move if they know it, what is a defense or counter or prevention of it?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm

everything wrote:once you have your legs connected. various arts (but probably not taijiquan) have a technique to pull the other person's leg out. I don't think you'd call it a sweep in the sense of kicking away a leg right before the foot makes contact. since either person could do that move if they know it, what is a defense or counter or prevention of it?

To deal with any low leg attack, you can use:

1. Leg bending.

2. outside crescent kick.

3. leg escape.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:14 pm

everything wrote:once you have your legs connected. various arts (but probably not taijiquan) have a technique to pull the other person's leg out. I don't think you'd call it a sweep in the sense of kicking away a leg right before the foot makes contact. since either person could do that move if they know it, what is a defense or counter or prevention of it?

Move the leg out of the way, or pick it up so it doesn't get kicked or swept.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 pm

The foot sweep is very much there in the Taiji "style" I practice. The foot sweep we did in Karate sparring/fighting is a foot sweep not a kick. Kicks are used to score a point on or to inflict pain or hurt the opponent.
Trick

Postby everything on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:17 am

I can't find a video but they like to do this leg technique in jet li and other movies.

do the "shin bite" so your shins are touching and your foot hooks their foot. there are 2 contact points with "splitting" energy somewhat. you suddenly pull their leg using "cai" type of pulling.

in the movies, I think they do try to lift their leg. no idea what's required if one really tried this. really want to do it now, haha.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan