Hong Kong Kung Fu guys challenge Mongolian wrestlers

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Hong Kong Kung Fu guys challenge Mongolian wrestlers

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 pm

3 Hong Kong Kung Fu guys trained very hard before they challenged Mongolian wrestlers. It's excellent idea to test your MA skill outside of your comfortable zone. What's your opinion on those matches?

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Hong Kong Kung Fu guys challenge Mongolian wrestlers

Postby .Q. on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 am

Normal city folks have no shot against those who tame camels. I liked this video where a Japanese judoka went to see how the Mongolians were so tough. The Japanese male 2005 Asian Judo Championships gold medalist couldn't even keep up w/ their women atheletes in running up the mountain!
Part 1:

Part 2:
.Q.
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:19 am

Excellent idea!
Mongolians live the art based on thier environment. If you testing a thing, you subject it to 'higher tolerances' or x to make sure it works under duress. Big dudes, nonetheless but they have the skill behind it.
p.s. It seems that only modern 'internal' CMA says you cannot do that, or that is the word of moth. "How dare I subject my precious internal stuff to those big fellows over thar?: ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:45 am

great series.

as a part mongolian, thumbs up, hahaha. the rest of my ancestry and environment must've made me soft though, lol. those grapplers are always built like fireplugs/bulldogs, aren't they.

living an art based on your environment. this is a little like marathoners from kenya, I suppose. still in the mountains at high altitude, but totally opposite builds.
Last edited by everything on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am

The Mongolian ponies are smaller than their western counterparts, which means the gait is such that riders can't post in the saddle as the horse trots. This results in the riders basically standing in the stirrups all day, every day. Combine this with the pole lasso that they use, and it requires an incredible amount of leg, back, and grip strength to be a traditional Mongolian cowboy.

Nowadays, they use motorcycles more than horses, and operate on fixed ranches moreso than the nomadic life of days past. Mongolian wrestling was not really a combat art-- horsemanship and archery were much more important for that. The wrestling games served as a way for young men to test themselves and gain status in the tribes. At the large games where a bunch of tribes came together, the wrestlers who showed well became the object of affection for the young ladies of the tribes, and shenanigans were encouraged as it was a way to get genetic diversity and strong children within the different groups.

My understanding is that the nomadic days of Mongolia are largely over. It remains to be seen how that will affect the traditional dominance of Mongolian wrestlers as the younger generations grow up in a softer environment.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan