A new post on Taijiquan and Boxing at Cook Ding's Kitchen

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: A new post on Taijiquan and Boxing at Cook Ding's Kitchen

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 am

Fraud
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:50 am

Horrible :-[
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Looks really interesting, thanks. It's more of a book than a "post"!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Apparently he is a Wu style taiji guy (silat, filipino stick, and other stuff) that actually gets in the ring with his fighters and spars hard. No wonder the taiji crowd hates him, he didnt do fake taiji pushes. LOL
Rhen

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm

He doesn't do taiji or anything else resembling it. He's a fraud, plain boxing with a bunch of verbiage he doesn't understand lifted from the classics.

If you want to box, teach boxing and call it boxing.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 pm

I apologize if I'm being uncharacteristically negative here, "Grandmaster" Singh has been on my radar for a hot minute. It's not enough that he's claiming arts he doesn't practice, but he's gone after some of Tim Cartmell's students for "stealing his term" internal pugilism, which I had to show him was in published work ten years before he started paying for his meaningless certifications from pay to play Mills.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

oragami_itto wrote:He doesn't do taiji or anything else resembling it. He's a fraud, plain boxing with a bunch of verbiage he doesn't understand lifted from the classics.

If you want to box, teach boxing and call it boxing.

I wouldn't "call it boxing" either. :-\
marvin8
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 am

Been online friends with G for some time back when Angels gym was producing fighters, though we don't interact much these days. Way back when it was myself who sent him the Wu Menxia annotations (which he absolutely loved and made a big part of his work I believe) - don't shoot me Itto! :D

I can appreciate the marmite factor though, his online presence comes over pretty strong in Social Media.

I really like the fact that his new gym is going great guns and he's coaching guys having success on the local MMA scene over there.. And very much whilst upholding the internal arts component of breathwork, energetics and meditation. He's also posted in the past himself working with boxers.. though it's safe to say what he does is very much his own 'MMA'. I'm not going to sit here and publically judge his personal style on aesthetics, I'd rather do that after going a round or 2 with him opposite me trying to hit me.

Good luck to the Temple Underground Gym, those guys are working hard and walking the walk.. So utmost Respect to all of them for that.
I agree the stuff over the term is regretable and the whole Grandmaster Soke thing is unecessary to me too, but ok, I guess it's a thing for some, meh.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am

Yeah he's something else
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Interesting article. I appreciate the authors intent to connect the dots and show connections between East & West, internal and external. I also appreciate the fact that the teacher and his students are pressure testing their material. However, the videos were a real let down. :P I understand that as one's body ages the ability to demonstrate and execute techniques diminishes. But if that's the case, use advanced students to demo the techniques.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but fraud is a strong word. Why do people consider Gurjot Singh to be a fraud?

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm

My own opinion is that it's obvious in the face of it. What he does has less connection to authentic neijia than Jake Mace's material.

Keep watching his videos you'll see where the Grandmaster talks about learning fundamental forms six months ago. His sword form if performed with an edge would amputate most of his fingers.

I really do not like speaking ill of others so I will stop, but if you have any eye for the internal arts for lack of a better term then watch more of his work and see for yourself.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 am

Hey Origami,

I appreciate not wanting to spend time/ energy focused on the negative and not wanting to speak ill of others.

I re-read your original reply, and did a little digging, and....enough said. ;)

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan