Wu Xing Qi Gong Bisio

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wu Xing Qi Gong Bisio

Postby Bob on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 am

For those of you interested in Wu Xing Qi Gong, Tom Bisio is releasing the Wu Xing Qi Gong Series.

The written material he provides with the videos is worth the price alone. His material is scholarly but without the abstract academic jargon.

In short, its a good buy.

Please note that I have no connections with Tom Bisio and the New York Associations but I find his material (especially the written material) excellent for tying up the loose ends of the martial arts I learned over the last 30 years. I have no contacts with his students or seminars so I am not "selling" anything for him or his school; it's just damn good material.

http://www.internalartsinternational.com/
Last edited by Bob on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Wu Xing Qi Gong Bisio

Postby Yeung on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:50 am

Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 am

This one is more interesting but it appears to be also new development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Y8QSVyYhM
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 am

Bob wrote: the loose ends of the martial arts I learned over the last 30 years.

What are the loose ends of the martial arts that you have learned?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Storm on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:22 pm

I have some books from Mr. Bisio. The books on Bagua he coauthored (maybe just translated/produced?) with Gao Ji Wu I find very good. Another one on Bagua Neigong feels much more commercial.
After checking his website I must admit I find the prices he asks for seminars to high. Please note that I do not question his capabilities but in my oppinion there is hardly something that I can be taught over a week-end in a martial arts context that is worth 400 Dollars (he charges 800 for 2 week-ends).
I understand that for a professional martial artist money will play an important role but there should be some understandable relationship between money charged and imparted knowledge.
Considering a picture on the Website shows a training room with 20 people in, that would mean one gets 1/20 of the trainers attention during the seminar........
Maybe some some people are willing to pay that but I would not and am a bit cautious now on his books.
Last edited by Storm on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Storm
Santi

Postby wetmarble on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Yeung wrote:Is it something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW9RVpg8SJg

Hi Yeung, I'm a long time student of Tom's. Our wu xing qi gong is not like either of the videos that you linked.
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby wetmarble on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Storm wrote:Considering a picture on the Website shows a training room with 20 people in, that would mean one gets 1/20 of the trainers attention during the seminar........
Maybe some some people are willing to pay that but I would not and am a bit cautious now on his books.

Hi Storm,

While Tom is often listed as the only instructor for his seminars, it is rarely the case that he is the only instructor present. The photo on the website for seminars was taken during a year long instructor training a few years ago. There were 4 senior instructors in addition to Tom present for that training. Personally, I have never been to any seminar that Tom has offered that has had fewer than 3 senior instructors.

Out of curiosity, what did you feel was commercial about Tom's book? (And which book was it?)

Adam
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby Storm on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:57 am

Hello Adam,
Thank you for the clarification.
The book I mentioned was from the Bagua Nei Gong series which numbers the booklets from 1-6 - maybe there are more- and looks for me very different when compared to his other books. The numbering and the look of the booklet felt commercial. As it is a subjective matter I am aware I tread on thin ice and maybe someone else feels different.
For example Mr. Crandall's books are also (partly numbered?) but due to the printing on demand and overall format, quality of pictures etc it feels more like a dedicated practitioners loved and treasured work.
Training with 4-5 instructors is a different story but I stick to my guns because for me it feels expensive. As a comparison which I also find very cheap- so my expectation is somewhere in the middle- I have a friend who lived in Japan, was ranked there and now teaches a Jujutsu Koryu and he charges 15 Euro/month with 4 training times 1/week at around 2,5 hours each so overall 10 training hours for 15 Euros. He has a job of course and training is not done as a career.
Last edited by Storm on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storm
Santi

Postby Yeung on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:12 pm

wetmarble wrote:
Yeung wrote:Is it something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW9RVpg8SJg

Hi Yeung, I'm a long time student of Tom's. Our wu xing qi gong is not like either of the videos that you linked.

Thank you, what is the comparative advantage of your Wu Xing Qi Gong?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby wetmarble on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Storm wrote:Hello Adam,
Thank you for the clarification.
The book I mentioned was from the Bagua Nei Gong series which numbers the booklets from 1-6 - maybe there are more- and looks for me very different when compared to his other books. The numbering and the look of the booklet felt commercial. As it is a subjective matter I am aware I tread on thin ice and maybe someone else feels different.
For example Mr. Crandall's books are also (partly numbered?) but due to the printing on demand and overall format, quality of pictures etc it feels more like a dedicated practitioners loved and treasured work.
Training with 4-5 instructors is a different story but I stick to my guns because for me it feels expensive. As a comparison which I also find very cheap- so my expectation is somewhere in the middle- I have a friend who lived in Japan, was ranked there and now teaches a Jujutsu Koryu and he charges 15 Euro/month with 4 training times 1/week at around 2,5 hours each so overall 10 training hours for 15 Euros. He has a job of course and training is not done as a career.

Hi Storm,

I wasn't debating the expensiveness of Tom's prices, nor do I have a problem with you feeling that his prices are too high. Each of us determines for ourselves what is too expensive. I just wanted to clear up that there is ample instruction during the seminars.

The Bagua Neigong series were entirely self produced by Tom. This is in contrast to to the Essentials of Bagua Zhang and the Attacking Hands of Bagua Zhang that both had a professional designer to do the layout and design. The books are numbered because they are primarily intended to be a supplement to teaching. They follow the curriculum of the first year of our system of Bagua. The idea was that by taking the time to author a book, all of the theory would be presented, whereas in a class setting, it is easy to forget to mention an aspect of an exercise. The books also provide students with reference material to aid their practice. The books are not required in our classes, but they are suggested, and as others have pointed out, they are often helpful to practitioners of other lineages, because they delve into the theory behind the exercises.

I certainly agree that $15 euro / month is very inexpensive. In New York, to offer a 2.5 hour class once per week for $15 / month, you would need approximately 40 students to cover your rent on a space. (Rooms in NY are typically $45+ per hour). When Tom was teaching weekly classes, they were (in my opinion) very affordable at $75 per month for 2 hour classes twice per week.

I'm not sure how Tom arrived at the prices for his seminars.
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby wetmarble on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Yeung wrote:Thank you, what is the comparative advantage of your Wu Xing Qi Gong?

Hi Yeung,

I'm not sure what it's being compared against. I can tell you that the movement of each exercise creates a physical manipulation of the organ associated with each phase. For example, the water exercise creates a sequential opening and closing of each kidney in turn. The same is true of each of the other phases with their respective organ. I have also found that the intention of each exercise has a profound effect to regulate and balance each phase. For example, the earth exercise uses the intention to create a link between earth and heaven, the water exercise creates a balancing of water and fire, etc.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Adam
wetmarble
Anjing

Postby edededed on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 pm

A bit of a derail - but the average hobby (MA, etc.) teacher charges 10,000 yen/month in Japan (plus a one-time joining fee of 10,000 yen).
Much cheaper classes are pretty rare.

I own some of Tom's books, and I like them in general! I get a feeling that Tom wants to spread the knowledge, not to hide it. (I don't own any of the neigong series books, though. Main reason is that I buy maybe 1 book each year ;D )
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:36 am

Bisio is legit.

While I’ve never met the man personally, I’ve known a few of his instructors and they all had skill.

Frankly, I find his medical work much more interesting than his martial.

If you want to properly learn bone setting both Bisio and Vince Black are the two best choices.

Adam, did you teach at PCOM?
Last edited by Peacedog on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 am

"Frankly, I find his medical work much more interesting than his martial".

These are the loose ends
Bob
Great Old One

Postby wetmarble on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Peacedog wrote:Adam, did you teach at PCOM?

I did, but we recently moved to Colorado. Now I teach at the Southwest Acupuncture College.
wetmarble
Anjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan