Polypropylene practice swords

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Polypropylene practice swords

Postby jim on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 am

Hi Folks

I have a couple of private students who would like to learn our sword form. I was thinking of picking up some wooden practice swords for them when I found these plastic/PPP weapons as well. Has anyone had any experience with them? Both students are very keen, have been training around 4 years and I'm sure will eventually purchase their own weapons but I thought to start them off with practice swords. I've never encountered one of these new fangled plastic weapons though and would appreciate any feedback you have to give.

many thanks in advance and a happy holiday season to you all.
jim
Anjing

Re: Polypropylene practice swords

Postby fisherman on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 am

Hi Jim,
I have one of the plastic jians as well as a plastic dao. The plastic dao isn't too bad but the jian is kind of flimsy and the weighting of both is off, (not unexpected).
We do a bit of two person work and the weapons we use do take a beating over time and I feel that the wood ones have held up well.

Good luck!
Chris
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby jim on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:22 am

Thank you Chris - much appreciated!
jim
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:23 am

I've got a couple of the "cold steel" bastard swords. Weight and sturdiness is fine. I haven't tried hitting anything with them. I'd get the same jian from them if I were looking
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 am

I am not keen with use of polypropylene practice swords because they do not reflect actual weight and its manipulstion in sword utility practice.
I would rather incorporate weight elements as opposed to the 'lightness' and easy of use because the latter gives a false sense of skill where none actually exist.

Anyone try lifting a European sword lately! It is a heavy mofo ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 am

The polypropylene are manufactured to simulate the weight and handling of the real deal, the plastic is very dense and the "blade" is much thicker, which also helps reduce injury.
I haven't gotten a jian yet, but maybe after the holidays I'll pick one up and compare it to my 31* steel.
The bastard swords are comparable.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby jim on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll pick up a couple of wooden jian to get my students started and if they're so inclined they can purchase their own swords down the track.
jim
Anjing

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:07 am

If they are only being used for forms practise all that matters is that they are the correct weight and properly balanced.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Thought this might give some an idea of what the old swords were like. My friend collects real swords and has been doing so for some time.
He explained that the box was called a "sword coffin" back in the day, they would use it to send the sword back from fallen warriors in battle.

Something I never heard of before maybe others might have more history on the practice.

Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan