Creating the Big

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Creating the Big

Postby robert on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 pm

But not from Chen then?
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:06 pm

robert wrote:But not from Chen then?
yes, it's from chen.
Last edited by willie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Trick on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm

willie wrote:My teacher strikes trees for hand toughening. But actually it's really more than just hand toughening. As the tree is truck it is important that the structure of the body shows no sign of weakening. Yes training fajin on heavy bags is helpful because that kind of power release is very dangerous when applied to a partner. Our approach to Tai Chi is very different then what is generally seen out there. The trademark moves that are seen in the forms are actually put to use. We do not do very much Cooperative type Push Hands
. I myself like exercising strikes and kicks on heavy bags and pads but havent done it for a long time now. When i was in Okinawa i did alot of makiwara (striking post) practice, and as you describe above that practice is also very much a practice of ones structure. But i would say that Taijiquan is slightly different in it's approach of coming to an understanding and checking ones structure to the point when it comes out naturally. Hardening ones limbs is not necessary because Taiji is mainly about blending not clashing, but if one wishes to express power release on an opponent it should be done in an direction where the opponents balance is at minimum, and if strikes are necessary to be applied they should target vulnerable points.
Trick

Postby willie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Trick wrote:I myself like exercising strikes and kicks on heavy bags and pads but havent done it for a long time now. When i was in Okinawa i did alot of makiwara (striking post) practice, and as you describe above that practice is also very much a practice of ones structure. But i would say that Taijiquan is slightly different in it's approach of coming to an understanding and checking ones structure to the point when it comes out naturally. Hardening ones limbs is not necessary because Taiji is mainly about blending not clashing, but if one wishes to express power release on an opponent it should be done in an direction where the opponents balance is at minimum, and if strikes are necessary to be applied they should target vulnerable points.
I will strike head on if necessary . Other than that, intriguing post trick, please continue, you have my attention
willie

Postby Trick on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am

Timing is everything
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 am

Nice vid Willie. What you show you show very good and clear.

Trick wrote: if one wishes to express power release on an opponent it should be done in an direction where the opponents balance is at minimum,

I don't totally agree. If you want to strike through a target, you need a stable target. It's better to strike him when he moves towards you, than when he moves away from you. Unbalancing is for throwing, takedowns, qinna etc. You can also use unbalancing as a set up for a strike, but then you must control his position some way so he doesn't move away when you meet his body with your fist.

and if strikes are necessary to be applied they should target vulnerable points.

Not necessarily so. Think about yin/yang in T´ai Chi Ch´uan:
Hard hand = fist/knuckles should strike soft tissue. (Yang against yin)
Soft hand = Palm hand/edge of palm should strike hard surface. (Yin against yang)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 am

Bao wrote:Nice vid Willie. What you show you show very good and clear.

Trick wrote: strike him when he moves towards you, than when he moves away from you. Unbalancing is for throwing, takedowns, qinna etc. You can also use unbalancing as a set up for a strike, but then you must control his position some way so he doesn't move away when you meet his body with your fist.

Yes use the opponents force to your advantage. When I wrote power release I referred more to a "sharp"push or tackle than a strike(yes I know most here hate the push:) For strikes, let the opponent run in/fall on them.... For me I would like to think of strikes as last resort in a weapon less self defence situation........(but I would probably use them early on :)
Trick

Postby robert on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 am

willie wrote:
robert wrote:But not from Chen then?
yes, it's from chen.

Thanks, I haven't heard of that in Chen taiji.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan