Marin Spivack interview

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Marin Spivack interview

Postby marvin8 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 am

BruceP wrote:Yeah, Marvin

More people died in bicycle races than MMA since 2007. Even more fatalities in soccer matches...err...fights, than MMA over the same number of years. What's your point?

Yes, MMA is a sport. However, one can be killed by their opponent's blows in a MMA fight. There wasn't a list of CTE, knockouts, concussions, injuries, etc, which occur much more often. Every time one enters a fight in MMA they risk their health.

Many refer to MMA as The Hurt Business, which happens to be the name of a documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKpYXeB8o3s
marvin8
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:34 am

willie wrote: Did you just hear in that interview when Ken said that MMA wasn't real fighting. Now imagine say 15 years ago how many people thought that?

Did he really say that? Wow, I mean yes, we know it's a sport, broken glass, knife, eye gouges blah blah but how do people like him think they would fare against a high level sports fighter?
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

RobP3 wrote:
willie wrote: Did you just hear in that interview when Ken said that MMA wasn't real fighting. Now imagine say 15 years ago how many people thought that?

Did he really say that? Wow, I mean yes, we know it's a sport, broken glass, knife, eye gouges blah blah but how do people like him think they would fare against a high level sports fighter?

Hi Rob, I have no idea what they're thinking, but I would have to assume that they would not do very well against a high-level sport fighter. But there are exceptions . However, that doesn't mean that what they do know doesn't have any value, because it does. I suggest a more humbler approach. It isn't who's better or who's tougher or what art is more powerful. It's more like accepting that no one person knows everything and the power lies in accepting that and incorporating what other people know into what you know and now you have both. Then continue on with the same process. Tai Chi in itself very rarely will produce a Fighter's mentality.
Last edited by willie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 am

I think they'd do kind of like this:

Cruz vs Ninja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQiPRUu7b0&t=14s

Stable Genius.
Winky Faces Make Your Texts Sarcastic, Scientists Say
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:27 am

GrahamB wrote:I think
now look what you've done Graham, you've gone and upset the entire ninja community LOL. Actually, that fight could have gone just as bad if another MMA guy had visited their school and challenge them or even one of their own students. Remember the fight between Matt Hughes and Gracie? Things have evolved to a whole new level. Shouldn't we get back on topic?
Last edited by willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:42 am

He was obviously a fake ninja - a real ninja wouldn’t have even been there. -bolt-
Stable Genius.
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby oragami_itto on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 am

GrahamB wrote:He was obviously a fake ninja - a real ninja wouldn’t have even been there. -bolt-

Real talk, fair fights are for suckers. Sneak up behind em and stick em with the pointy end. Hit em with a chair. If I have any doubt about my ability to beat someone bare handed I will weapon up in a heartbeat.
"This principle is very obvious and requires no further elaboration."
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am

Glad to hear the real ninjas are still out there, origami.
Stable Genius.
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:10 am

oragami_itto wrote:
GrahamB wrote:He was obviously a fake ninja - a real ninja wouldn’t have even been there. -bolt-

Real talk, fair fights are for suckers. Sneak up behind em and stick em with the pointy end. Hit em with a chair. If I have any doubt about my ability to beat someone bare handed I will weapon up in a heartbeat.
do you want to tell that to the judge? Charged with Assault with a deadly weapon is not a good day. why would that be necessary, doesn't Adams $50 online course Have the answers that you're looking for? There is no one else here that is worth your consideration. Isn't that what you said?
willie
Wuji

Postby oragami_itto on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 am

willie wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

do you want to tell that to the judge? Charged with Assault with a deadly weapon is not a good day. why would that be necessary, doesn't Adams $50 online course Have the answers that you're looking for? There is no one else here that is worth your consideration. Isn't that what you said?

Do I stutter? Fair fights are for suckers.

I know some people labor under the delusion that they are training to be unstoppable beasts who roll over Bruce Lee like he was a toddler, I prefer to be a bit more realistic about my abilities. Fighting is not a game or a sport for me. If I'm in a fight either someone is going to go away embarrassed and unharmed or on a stretcher because I hit them with a bat, or a glass mug, or a tire iron, or the buckle on my belt, my car, etc. Whatever force amplification I need to bring to bear on the situation will be deployed to ensure I get home safely.

So far, when I've been assaulted, I've been able to handle the attacker easily. If I think I can't, you bet your ass sportsmanship and legal concerns will not be relevant. I'm white middle class, middle aged, with a bad knee and lawyers on standby for just such a contingency.

Point being, fair fights are for suckers.
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:49 am

oragami_itto wrote:
willie wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:
Do I stutter? Fair fights are for suckers.

I know some people labor under the delusion that they are training to be unstoppable beasts who roll over Bruce Lee like he was a toddler, I prefer to be a bit more realistic about my abilities. Fighting is not a game or a sport for me. If I'm in a fight either someone is going to go away embarrassed and unharmed or on a stretcher because I hit them with a bat, or a glass mug, or a tire iron, or the buckle on my belt, my car, etc. Whatever force amplification I need to bring to bear on the situation will be deployed to ensure I get home safely.

So far, when I've been assaulted, I've been able to handle the attacker easily. If I think I can't, you bet your ass sportsmanship and legal concerns will not be relevant. I'm white middle class, middle aged, with a bad knee and lawyers on standby for just such a contingency.

Point being, fair fights are for suckers.
okay O.J.. I guess the real question is, does the glove fit. LOL! Now can we get back to the real topic or do you want to talk about Hair Club for Men?
Last edited by willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby oragami_itto on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:07 am

willie wrote:
okay O.J.. I guess the real question is, does the glove fit. LOL! Now can we get back to the real topic or do you want to talk about Hair Club for Men?

You'll get nothing out of me, copper!

But back on point, well this is on point. Real fights versus sports fights. You don't get a timed start from your corner against a known opponent you've studied who is fighting under the same restrictions. Yeah mma can help with parts but there is far more to fighting in the wild than fist meets face. Everything I mentioned in my previous rant I've seen with my own two eyes or done with my own two hands, and worse.

I've seen somebody try to start a fight at a bar, have the other guy suggest they just talk it out over a mug of beer and then slam his mug into the other guys mug while he was drinking from it. I've seen gang banging kids put a pillowcase over a guys head and beat him with locks till the blood was spattering through. I even started one fight by catching a beer bottle to the face (still whooped his sorry ass) and I've had fights where I merely kept the guy who wanted to hurt me under control and humiliated him with weak taps to his cheeks. Had a guy at a bar once introduce himself with a haymaker to my left cheek while I was sitting and talking with some girls he had beef with.

Sports fights and real fights are simply not the same thing. Not going to say that either is better but they are different, and not understanding that is a good way to get hurt bad when shit goes south in the real world.

P.s. yeah South Florida is pretty fucked up
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56 am

oragami_itto wrote:
Sports fights and real fights are simply not the same thing. Not going to say that either is better but they are different, and not understanding that is a good way to get hurt bad when shit goes south in the real world.
is that something that you learned from your $50 online course or did you actually go And fight one of these so-called sport Fighters? Again, can we please get back to the topic?
willie
Wuji

Postby oragami_itto on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am

willie wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:
is that something that you learned from your $50 online course or did you actually go And fight one of these so-called sport Fighters? Again, can we please get back to the topic?

What's the topic? Riding moling's nuts?
-Yang Cheng Fu
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:11 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
What's the topic? Riding moling's nuts?

More personal attacks itto? Shame on you for helping ruin the threads. I think that the topic is about the perspective of a legitimate disciple of one of the best Tai Chi Grandmasters in the world.
So just to try to keep a civil conversation with somebody like you, I will try to remind you occasionally if you don't mind.
I first asked my first Yang style teacher about acquiring A discipleship. He said that he was not offering A discipleship. Then he went on to explain why. A discipleship is a huge life-long commitment that goes both ways. The teachers half of the commitment is to ensure that a complete transmission is accomplished. Which means that they do not withhold any skills or secrets. From my experience Tai Chi Masters keep a lot of Secrets so there is a big difference right there. Then the students half of the commitment is to work endlessly to try to acquire all the skills of the master. In other words no giving up, no quitting, if your legs are tired you have to keep going. If your form sucks and he says to do the form 20 times a day then that is what you do. Now hopefully you can see how childish you have been on this thread. You had an opportunity to discuss discipleship and what it means.
willie
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan