Compress and Release

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Compress and Release

Postby johnwang on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Both Baji and XingYi use the "compress (inhale) and release (exhale)" power generation method. As long as you can separate which part of the move is used for compressing - inhale, and which part of the move is used for releasing - exhale. If you coordinate all the compressing as 1 move, and coordinate all the releasing as the 2nd move. No matter how complicate a move may be, it can be as simple as just 2 moves.

Do you think this method can be apply in all CMA systems? Your thought?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Compress and Release

Postby Steve James on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 pm

I think the idea can be applied to CMA systems. I don't think that it's necessary to focus on whether one is inhaling or exhaling --in a fight. Um, instead, imo, the breathing should be as natural as appropriate. For ex., when facing a barrage of fast punches, it's not practical to think in terms of 1 - 2.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 pm

In the XYQ, Tongbeiquan and Taijiquan that I practice relaxed breathing comes natural from of the practice of the specific "visualizations" that is done, and that is not about thinking on breath in and out or compress an release
Trick

Postby johnwang on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Trick wrote:In the XYQ, Tongbeiquan and Taijiquan that I practice relaxed breathing comes natural from of the practice of the specific "visualizations" that is done, and that is not about thinking on breath in and out or compress an release

In XingYi, you use "fast (short) inhale and slow (long) exhale" method. This is different from the natural breathing. It's like when you swim (or fight), the window that you can inhale is very short. You want to inhale as fast as you can. You then try to keep air in your lung as long as you can (like diving).

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:54 pm

The breath patterns/intervals comes as an natural "byproduct" from the practice with the "correct" visualizations. Ideal would be that after let's say a practice of 1000 piquan the breath should be deep and relaxed, the puls might be high but not the breath
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:05 am

"...In XingYi, you use "fast (short) inhale and slow (long) exhale" method. This is different from the natural breathing. It's like when you swim (or fight), the window that you can inhale is very short. You want to inhale as fast as you can. You then try to keep air in your lung as long as you can (like diving)...."

is not connected with the system which you practicing` actually?
As I remember my old karate days - breathing pattern was kinda different - short breathing out with the punch,
you may add optional KIAI during exhalation.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 am

Every inch of your body and posture has an effect on breath.
Air fuels movement.
I think it's better to unhitch the breath from the movement so as to enable a more constant supply of air.

Some times exhaling is good to add power.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 am

In XYC in the beginning you observe the breath , using reverse breath on the intake[contract] and natural on the out[expand] Once the pattern is established I was taught to ignore the breath and let the mind expand or contract body[chest and abdominal cavities] I have taught this to other styles and Filipino stick practitioners, it works
KEND
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 am

In

- striking, your blocking is compress, your punch is release.
- throwing, your clinch is compress, your throw is release.

I do find this method has difficulty to apply on Chang/Yang Taiji. When I do cloud hand, it's difficult to separate which part is compress and which part is release.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm

johnwang wrote:In

I do find this method has difficulty to apply on Chang/Yang Taiji. When I do cloud hand, it's difficult to separate which part is compress and which part is release.

Differentiating substantial and insubstantial is half the battle! :)

With cloud hands you've got both sides of the body doing different things. While some is compressing other is releasing. Every form in the form is like this to some degree in my opinion.

It's like coffee when you pour the cream before you stir it.

That's part of why always locking the breath to the movement is limiting imho. There's a time and place to use it but not all the time
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Breath is a circulation not a coordination. The concept described here is basic and beginner level.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Trick wrote:In the XYQ, Tongbeiquan and Taijiquan that I practice relaxed breathing comes natural from of the practice of the specific "visualizations" that is done, and that is not about thinking on breath in and out or compress an release

Could you elaborate on the visualizations part? What exactly do you visualize and how does it relate to the movement and breathing?
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:49 pm

In the following Zuan Quan, the 1st part is compress. The release part starts from his back foot slides next to his leading foot. He then steps that foot forward and punches out at the same time. He uses slow compress and fast release method here.

Some people believe that for

- combat training, you should use slow compress and fast release (as shown in the following clip).
- health training, you should use fast compress and slow release (I'm still not quite convinced on this yet).

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:20 pm

johnwang wrote:In

that's because there is none. Cloud hands is a constant split energy. That means it is sort of like a high-power fan blade, an auger, a piece of farm equipment, a hydraulic shear. Like sticking your hand into a running machine. Then add life force, equals Chi , a living machine or a mechanically powered entity, like a squid with gears
Last edited by willie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Over time the breath develops from a piston firing combustion engine, to a high performance turbine. The force does not seek the breath, The force is the energy generated.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan