Reconsider your "Qi Belly"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Reconsider your "Qi Belly"

Postby Rhen on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am

Abdominal distention is a medical term for when there is excess gas and fluids in the abdominal cavity. To me, I believe the abdomen should be naturally tight and not hang out like many in Tai chi that have what they consider a "Qi Belly". No, it is not Qi, and as a matter of fact in Asian medicine it is often thought of a Qi deficiency, that the tissues that hold the internal organs in place have lost their elasticity and ability to hold the organs in their proper place. This isn't Qi powered shenfa, it is straight up sloppy and slobby martial arts people eating at the chinese buffet too much.

This is why I think Tai chi people need to reconsider to immediately to run the opposite direction of any Tai chi and Qigong people with not only a Qi Belly of distention, but to jet the F%$# outta there if they say don't do abs, crunches, strength, and weight training.

this has been a public service annoucement ;D
Last edited by Rhen on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhen

Re: Reconsider your "Qi Belly"

Postby charles on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 am

What is the purpose of your post?

The photo you have shown is not of what people traditionally call a "qi belly". Are you suggesting that people with "fat bellies" are falsely calling them/passing them off on an unsuspecting public as a "qi belly"? Are you suggesting that a "qi belly" is fake/false and that development doesn't take place? Are you suggesting that people who are skilled at Taijiquan should have six-pack abs, as obtained through crunches, strength and weight training? Not sure what point you are trying to make or, perhaps, what axe you are wanting to grind.
charles
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:58 am

I don't like the flavor of the post, but I have to agree with Rhen. Relaxing too much allows the abdomen to start to sag, in time it will only get worse. Medical doctors are prescribing Weightlifting, cardio, and abdominal work on a daily basis in order for people to regain younger appearance and good physical health.
Last edited by willie on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby RobP3 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am

It's actually also worth checking for allergies / intolerance. I found out a couple of years back I have a wheat intolerance, so certain types of food will bloat me out almost immediately, regardless of quantity. Excessive bloating can also be a sign of IBS, so it's worth getting checked out.
The "gym six-pack" is not a particularly natural thing IMO, any more than huge pecs.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:08 am

RobP3 wrote:It's actually also worth checking for allergies / intolerance. I found out a couple of years back I have a wheat intolerance, so certain types of food will bloat me out almost immediately, regardless of quantity. Excessive bloating can also be a sign of IBS, so it's worth getting checked out.
The "gym six-pack" is not a particularly natural thing IMO, any more than huge pecs.

I have the same problem with bloating. I don't know if it is intolerance from wheat or not though. But some foods cause me to bloat just as you say. Just started about a year ago. I hate it. I have been to Tai Chi classes where the main instructor was encouraging what is called the Buddha belly.
Last edited by willie on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby RobP3 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 am

willie wrote:
RobP3 wrote:It's actually also worth checking for allergies / intolerance. I found out a couple of years back I have a wheat intolerance, so certain types of food will bloat me out almost immediately, regardless of quantity. Excessive bloating can also be a sign of IBS, so it's worth getting checked out.

I have the same problem with bloating. I don't know if it is intolerance from wheat or not though. But some foods cause me to bloat just as you say. Just started about a year ago. I hate it. I have been to Tai Chi classes where the main instructor was encouraging what is called the Buddha belly.

Worth getting your Doc to take a look, the test is straightforward and non-invasive! You get more sensitive to these things once you hit your 50s ;D
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 am

Now all you girls make sure you look good in that mini dress
Fat shamers be dammed
I would have liked to see you tell hung I Hsiang he was too fat to his face
Gluten intolerant a of the world unite
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 am

charles wrote:What is the purpose of your post?

The photo you have shown is not of what people traditionally call a "qi belly". Are you suggesting that people with "fat bellies" are falsely calling them/passing them off on an unsuspecting public as a "qi belly"?

It doesn't have to be fat, There could be a number of things that are causing the distension. If you remember I Created a topic not so long ago about this.

Are you suggesting that people who are skilled at Taijiquan should have six-pack abs, as obtained through crunches, strength and weight training?

I think that you know how I feel about that. It's the mind that controls movement, Not the size or shape of a physique.
Traditionally i believe that weight training in tai chi was taboo, But perhaps it's time to put away silly prejudice?
If weights aren't for you (not meaning you personally), then perhaps using mostly just body weight?
This is a very inspiring video, perhaps you may like it? i had a simular build when I was in my 30's. But he had me beat.
My record dead stop pull up was 31 if I remember correctly? Also about 75 one arm push ups

Last edited by willie on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Every day before my regular work out, I always start with 80 sit ups. IMO, if you use sit up as part of your daily warm up, it should be easy to maintain your waist line. It's not that hard to do.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm

willie wrote:It doesn't have to be fat,

I think that you know how I feel about that.]

I'm not against weight training, nor am I trying to assign a cause to a "large" abdomen. I'm just trying to figure out what is Rhen's "public service announcement".
Last edited by charles on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm

From the thread title, I thought the question was whether a "qi belly" was necessary. I have to admit that I don't think the size of the belly ever has anything to do with the amount of "qi." Otoh, I think that belly weight/mass can have an effect on an individual's performance. Of course, it's relative. A skinny guy can have a belly. Then again, take Sammo Hung, for ex. :)

Imo, having a belly is just normal for some people. It neither hurts nor helps, though I also think that some types of performance can be improved by having less weight. Afa the six-pack, if you take away the fat, everybody has a set. Where they can be seen or not is another question.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm

A "Qi Belly" is not a soft, flabby mess. It's more like a basketball. If you punch it your fist almost flies back. It's some type of muscle. Not all skilled masters have it, but many do.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 am

A fat guy as in the OP-pic use to and maybe still being taken for a man of wealth and strength in some parts of the world. And In older times a woman with some "meat on her body was preferred by men to be the lady to bear his children......Anyway, the Op-pic is kind of a Qi-belly A LOT of high energy(Qi?) food has been consumed and stored up and just waiting for the right moment to make a giant energy release.....Hmmm, made me to think of that restaurant scene in Monthy Pyton's "The Meaning of Life" movie
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 am

MaartenSFS wrote:A "Qi Belly" is not a soft, flabby mess. It's more like a basketball. If you punch it your fist almost flies back. It's some type of muscle. Not all skilled masters have it, but many do.

I did some JuJutsu when I was a kid, the children's class instructor had ha belly so big his belt almost hide underneath it, he let us kids punch him and yes our small little fist's just bounced of but as I remember he never let the big guys his fellow instructors to aim a shot
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 am

Did Buddha have a Qi belly?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan