Yang Zhaopeng

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang Zhaopeng

Postby Rhen on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

Shinobi wrote:I recently found a couple of photos of Yang Zhaopeng (good looking man!), son of Yang Banhou. Is there much known about him on here? Who was mostly responsible for his training? Was he a known fighter like his father and grandfather? It'd be good to know more about him; I like reading about the first three generations of the Yang family.

Another name I was wondering about is Yang Zhensheng, son of Yang Shaohou, although unlike Zhaopeng I'm not even sure he was involved in Tai Chi at all.

I've heard that Yang Zhaopeng taught some folks, but it was not large frame, closer to middle frame with much more 'chan suu jin' silk reeling. Fu Zhongwen mentioned learning from his neighbor Yang Zhaopeng for many years in Guangfu town/Yongnian before sent to Shanghai to later learn from and be a disciple to Yang Chenfu who would be the "Lineage Holder" of the Yang Family.
Rhen

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am

People who have a poor or rudimentary knowledge of Yang style setting themselves up as experts of its structure and history while training other arts should be taken with a grain of salt
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 am

wayne hansen wrote:People who have a poor or rudimentary knowledge of Yang style setting themselves up as experts of its structure and history while training other arts should be taken with a grain of salt

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Frank Bellemare on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Until forms were codified for mass teaching, each practitioner used to make them their own. Whenever that "Chen taiji as it is practiced today is the original taiji" debate arises, I like to point to Du Yuze, who learned privately from Chen Fake's father, Chen Yanxi.

You can see his taiji is definitely Chen, but it's tighter and less flowery than today's Chen, somewhere between Chen and Yang. In my opinion, this shows that Chen style changed as much as Yang did in the last 150 years. So in the end, the only thing to consider should be the skillset of the teacher, rather than the hypothetical degrees of separation from the original form, although it's a fun debate to have.

Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby charles on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Frank Bellemare wrote:Until forms were codified for mass teaching, each practitioner used to make them their own. Whenever that "Chen taiji as it is practiced today is the original taiji" debate arises, I like to point to Du Yuze, who learned privately from Chen Fake's father, Chen Yanxi.

You can see his taiji is definitely Chen, but it's tighter and less flowery than today's Chen, somewhere between Chen and Yang. In my opinion, this shows that Chen style changed as much as Yang did in the last 150 years.

The video of Du Yuze that you posted shows him doing a pretty standard rendition of (Large Frame) Lao Jia Yi Lu ("old" frame, first routine). Look at most modern performances of the same form and you'll see that it is changed relatively little.

By contrast, Chen Fake and his son Chen Zhoukui are the "authors" of Xin Jia ("new" frame), which, while based on Lao Jia, is more flowery, contains more overt winding motions, more small circles, more obvious qinna and tends to show more fa jin. More often than not, what one sees demonstrated is Xin Jia, as it looks more "dynamic".

From there, there are modern adaptations for competition, generally based on Xin Jia, as well as modern styles, such as Feng's Hun Yuan, which is Xin Jia-based, and Hong's "Practical Method", all of which are different, by definition, from Lao Jia. However, lots of modern practitioners still teach and practice Yi Lu and it is my preferred Chen form to teach to beginners because, being less embelished, is easier to teach and learn.
Last edited by charles on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Also, that video is from 1975 - it's not ancient.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Trick wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Since Yang Lu Chan learned from Chen Chanxing, isn't the "original and complete" style, actually, Chen style?

Whats the point of arguing over the crumbs spilled from the table? ;D

These are not the crumbs on the floor, it's the crumbs left in the cookie Jar..they are still goodies 8-)
Graham is correct. It only makes sense. If you remember right a while back Graham had posted a thread on rollback The Unfinished technique or something like that. He was using a BJJ move to end the confrontation after rollback. When I was heavily involved with Yang Style, I found myself always searching for Jiu-Jitsu moves to end it. Why? Why, if Yang style was so powerful, why then did it not have finishing moves. Do you really believe that everything was just off balance somebody or try to push him away? Sorry guys but the cat is out of the bag and a few brave people ain't afraid to say it.
Last edited by willie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Willie - I don't think "taijiquan" is really found in techniques. A Chen rollback is the same as a Yang style rollback, so I don't think there's any real difference.

But.... if the question is, is Chen style a more complete style than Yang style? I think it probably is. That doesn't have any indication of how good an individual practitioner of either style might be at fighting or at Taijiquan.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Just throwin shade here girl
But that's what I was sayin
It's about the practicioner and his depth within the art
If you have to go outside the art to complete a move you weren't inside in the first place
Just sayin
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:16 pm

GrahamB wrote:Willie - I don't think "taijiquan" is really found in techniques. A Chen rollback is the same as a Yang style rollback, so I don't think there's any real difference.

But.... if the question is, is Chen style a more complete style than Yang style? I think it probably is. That doesn't have any indication of how good an individual practitioner of either style might be at fighting or at Taijiquan.

Hi Graham. Chen Rollback is not the same as yang Style, it is powered by Dantian rotation using a concept of helical gears.
And to be absolutely honest with you, I have been teaching my son everything that I have done in martial arts, that he wanted to learn that is, since he was about 2 years old. When I found the real hi power Chen and started bringing this stuff home to my son. This is exactly what he said to me. First off he was stunned, just as stunned as I was when I ran into it. He said " dad, this is like the whole other half that we never knew existed". We were trying to win using no Force. The martial was removed for the most part . starting to make sense?
Last edited by willie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm not drinking Bao's Yang style koolaid.

I'm not drinking Willie's Chen style koolaid.

I'm not drinking Wayne's Wu style koolaid.

Just down in the bottom of the well, singing my song.
(repeat).

p.s. I don't think anybody has ever done BJJ looking for things that aren't in Tai Chi. There's not much Tai Chi on the ground - you may have noticed. I do BJJ because it's fun. I think that's true of most people.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:57 pm

GrahamB wrote:I'm not drinking Bao's Yang style koolaid.

I'm not drinking Willie's Chen style koolaid.

I'm not drinking Wayne's Wu style koolaid.

Just down in the bottom of the well, singing my song.
(repeat).

p.s. I don't think anybody has ever done BJJ looking for things that aren't in Tai Chi. There's not much Tai Chi on the ground - you may have noticed. I do BJJ because it's fun. I think that's true of most people.

Well Graham you kind of blew it with me again kid LOL!
We don't do Kool-Aid over here save that for your Moonies. And your purple belt isn't going to hold up over here Graham.
willie

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:05 pm

“If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable.”
― Seneca
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm

willie wrote:if Yang style was so powerful, why then did it not have finishing moves.

I have asked this question for the past 30 years. "How will you use Yang Taiji to kill your opponent?" People may say that I should not use the word "kill". When I swing my Miao Dao, I do intend to cut my opponent's body in half. Why should I lie to myself?

I like to start from the entering strategies and link to finished strategies. One of my students likes to start from the finish strategies and then link back to the entering strategies. By using either approaches, to finish a fight ASAP is the goal.

If you (general YOU) think that you can soft, yield, sticky, follow, sink, ..., your opponent to death, you truly don't understand what "fighting" is all about. Yang Taiji has soft, But where is the hard?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

I have asked this question for the past 30 years. "How will you use Yang Taiji to kill your opponent?"

1) You push your opponent off a roof.

2) You stab him in the eye with your taichi sword.

3) You can ask a western boxer or karateka the same question. Outside of using qi power, the techniques will be similar because human bodies are similar.

4) The question assumes that anyone trains a martial art in order to kill. People who train to kill practice with weapons designed to do so.

Well, afa the thread, I'm sure there are loads of non-Yang students who practice killing or who'll say they do. So, John, I think it's about time you started asking them. ;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan