Yang Zhaopeng

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang Zhaopeng

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 am

wayne hansen wrote:If you have to go outside the art to complete a move you weren't inside in the first place
Just sayin

+1
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 am

Trick wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:If you have to go outside the art to complete a move you weren't inside in the first place
Just sayin

+1

Missed that post. Very well said. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 am

Trick wrote:
Just sayin

+1

Don't give him a plus Mark so fast, think it through man, think it through...
willie

Postby charles on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 am

marvin8 wrote:
But, Chen Village has traditional fighters that have trained since a young age. They have enough traditional fighters to choose from.

My primary Chen teacher trained in Chen Village from 1983 to 1988. (He was an accomplished fighter prior to going to Chen Village.) He stated that at that time nearly no one in the Village was interested in or practiced fighting. A rekindled interest in fighting by some in the Village has been since then. One can infer what one wishes from that.

willie wrote: Charles had said the hardly nobody ever even makes it past level 1.5

Just to be clear, Chen Xiaowang stated that: I just repeated what he said. It's also his 5-level rating system in which few make it past 1.5, and most not beyond 1.
charles
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 am

willie wrote:
if Yang style was so powerful, why then did it not have finishing moves.

Bit confused with that, what about shoulder stroke, elbow, fist, joint dislocation, strangles, chokes, throws.... all in the YCF form without any necessary 'adaptions'?
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am

Steve Rowe wrote:
willie wrote:
if Yang style was so powerful, why then did it not have finishing moves.

Bit confused with that, what about shoulder stroke, elbow, fist, joint dislocation, strangles, chokes, throws.... all in the YCF form without any necessary 'adaptions'?

Steve to be fair, I would have to agree with you that there is the potential there for finishing moves. So I would like to rephrase just a little bit. However, none of the higher-level Yang style guys that I met have any competency at all as far as using the applications from the forms. In fact, most ignore all of those things in a belief that just sticking yielding and adhering is the higher level. How many times on this very site have people tried to correct me saying that the martial applications were a dime a dozen ? Let's examine the term use no Force. Isn't that int conflict with fist, elbow, strangle, martial arts? How do you break somebody's arm or apply any simple lock and use no Force. As I had tried to tell this board when I first joined. My sifu is using 500 pounds of force, not four ounces. Go watch GM whj. He is putting out an incredible amount of power. It is straight from the Dantian. He kicks to break legs, that is not 4 ounces!
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:50 am

So much misunderstanding so little time
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:34 pm

wayne hansen wrote:So much misunderstanding so little time

Hi Wayne. You forget that I have seen your Push Hands...
Please try to keep that qua back, it's a dead giveaway that you do not have everything quite correct yet. lol!
Last edited by willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Good luck with that
I haven't filmed anything since 1988 and did all that in a one hour session
I have also seen you dancing in the dark before you removed it
How about you put back everything you have posted then removed
Your Chen is streets past your yang be happy with that and stop all the yang bashing you don't have the credentials
Last edited by wayne hansen on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Good luck with that
I haven't filmed anything since 1988 and did all that in a one hour session
I have also seen you dancing in the dark before you removed it
How about you put back everything you have posted then removed
Your Chen is streets past your yang be happy with that and stop all the yang bashing you don't have the credentials

I'll stop the Yang bashing when you stop that Chen bashing how about that?
willie

Postby Ozguorui on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Wayne, Chen YingJun (CXW's son) was in Brisbane a few weeks ago. Some guy asked him - "Yang style does it this way, why does Chen style do it that way". CYJ said (paraphrasing) "We are Chen, they are Yang, why are you asking me that?"....
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Good, pragmatic answer by Chen Yingjun - speak about what you know, don't speak about what you don't know.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 pm

No Chen bashing from me
I see it's about the practicioner not the style
That goes for all Chinese systems
I see very little difference between all the tai chi styles
Except for maybe the Hao style that one still mystifies me
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Taiji is not my main art, but I've dabbled in Chen, CMC, and Sun styles, and met with many Taiji guys of varying levels and backgrounds over the years.

My view is that the fajin-less soft expression of Taiji often seen in Yang style and its derived systems is actually a personal progression as opposed to a "dumbed-down" way of practicing Chen in order to suit the taste of lazy noblemen or appeal to the masses.

Basically, Yang Luchan and his descendants have figured out another way of expressing Taiji's Yin and Yang other than the overt use of silk-reeling spirals and visible fajin.

Please note that I'm not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just different.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 pm

willie wrote:. My sifu is using 500 pounds of force, not four ounces. Go watch GM whj. He is putting out an incredible amount of power. It is straight from the Dantian. He kicks to break legs, that is not 4 ounces!

Do they too get this "strength" from powerlifting ?... How do they know they can break legs while fighting, have they ever broken legs(that you witnessed) before ?
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan