Yang Zhaopeng

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Yang Zhaopeng

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 pm

C.J.W. wrote:
Basically, Yang Luchan and his descendants have figured out another way of expressing Taiji's Yin and Yang other than the overt use of silk-reeling spirals and visible fajin.

Yes this seem quite a reasonable explanation. YLC seem to have been around much more than the habitants of the small remote village.
Trick

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Trick wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:
Basically, Yang Luchan and his descendants have figured out another way of expressing Taiji's Yin and Yang other than the overt use of silk-reeling spirals and visible fajin.

Yes this seem quite a reasonable explanation. YLC seem to have been around much more than the habitants of the small remote village.

Man, you guys are freaking brainwashed. You guys do not know anything about what you're talking about.
willie

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm

wayne hansen wrote:No Chen bashing from me
I see it's about the practicioner not the style
That goes for all Chinese systems
I see very little difference between all the tai chi styles
Except for maybe the Hao style that one still mystifies me

When I was going to say just about the same damn thing. I'm not bashing yang Style, I'm simply telling you the truth and you can't handle it. I don't want to talk about the subject no longer it's pointless.
willie

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 pm

willie wrote:
Trick wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:

Man, you guys are freaking brainwashed. You guys do not know anything about what you're talking about.

Why would you say that?...In that village they had something special that YLC wanted, he got it refined it to his own preferences and so on, a lot of MAists, Artists, professionals has done so throu history......As have been stated before YLC knew Shaolin arts before going to the village, he learned that they had a Shaolin art in that village a stylethat he never encountered before and wanted to learn more about it (if I was a freak for Shaolin arts I would have wanted to do the same 8-) ) Later when he matured his martial art also matured in a way that suited him best
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:47 pm

You can't handle the truth
Yes Willie you do share a lot with Tom Cruze
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 pm

wayne hansen wrote:You can't handle the truth
Yes Willie you do share a lot with Tom Cruze

No Wayne. You know what's sad? You don't even know that in you're push video your body is already split
You need to be retrained.
willie

Postby willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Trick wrote:
Why would you say that?...In that village they had something special that YLC wanted, he got it refined it to his own preferences and so on, a lot of MAists, Artists, professionals has done so throu history......As have been stated before YLC knew Shaolin arts before going to the village, he learned that they had a Shaolin art in that village a stylethat he never encountered before and wanted to learn more about it (if I was a freak for Shaolin arts I would have wanted to do the same 8-) ) Later when he matured his martial art also matured in a way that suited him best
[/quote]
No, what you are seeing is only half of what taiji is supposed to be.
Yang luchan did not figure out a damn thing. The martial side was left out. the fajin which is created by the Dantian is just part of what was left out. So CJW 's comment only shows how incorrect he is. everyone who goes against this very core principle only shows that they do not have martial Tai Chi.
Last edited by willie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:37 am

willie wrote:
Trick wrote:

No, what you are seeing is only half of what taiji is supposed to be.
Yang luchan did not figure out a damn thing. The martial side was left out. the fajin which is created by the Dantian is just part of what was left out. So CJW 's comment only shows how incorrect he is. everyone who goes against this very core principle only shows that they do not have martial Tai Chi.[/quote]
I'm a little surprised that after your long and arduous time with Yang Taijiquan did not come to that level where fajing comes out naturally and spontaneous....
Trick

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 am

willie wrote:Yang luchan did not figure out a damn thing. The martial side was left out. the fajin which is created by the Dantian is just part of what was left out. So CJW 's comment only shows how incorrect he is. everyone who goes against this very core principle only shows that they do not have martial Tai Chi.

Did I just felt an itch in my ear? ;D Just because fajin isn't expressed in the form practice doesn't mean it isn't there, my friend.

If you look at Bagua, Cheng style also favors smooth movements like Yang Taiji, while Yin style incorporates fajin. Would you say that Cheng style is less martially effective than Yin?

Granted, it's true that the vast majority of Yang stylists don't know a damn thing about fighting and are, in general, much less interested in combat applications than Chen stylists. The main reason being that the soft movements and appearance of Yang styles tend to attract folks who are more keen on the spiritual, cultural, and health-promoting aspects of the art. (There are Yang stylists who can fight, just relatively very few and far between given the large number of practitioners.)

In IMA, what you see isn't always what you get. What appears strong may actually be weak, and what seems weak may actually be......VERY strong.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 am

This thread is basically: 'Yeah? Well, that's just like your opinion, man!'

Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 am

That must be the Lazily open the Kua posture,
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 am

The Dude is just like, you know, finding a different way to interpret yin and yang. Here is shown the true application of the single whip beak hand - for holding a White Russian - while simultaneously sinking the Qi (look how Sung he is!), keeping the eyes to the horizon and opening the kua.

The posture is correct, all principles observed.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 am

Damn how could I miss that single whip, Graham You definitely have an eye to spot Taiji skills
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 am

Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:40 am

C.J.W. wrote:Did I just felt an itch in my ear? ;D Just because fajin isn't expressed in the form practice doesn't mean it isn't there, my friend.

If you look at Bagua, Cheng style also favors smooth movements like Yang Taiji, while Yin style incorporated fajin. Would you say that Cheng style is less martially effective than Yin?

Granted, it's true that the vast majority of Yang stylists don't know a damn thing about fighting and are, in general, much less interested in combat applications than Chen stylists. The main reason being that the soft movements and appearance of Yang styles tend to attract folks who are more keen on the spiritual, cultural, and health-promoting aspects of the art. (There are Yang stylists who can fight, just relatively very few and far between given the large number of practitioners.)

In IMA, what you see isn't always what you get. What appears strong may actually be weak, and what seems weak may actually be......VERY strong.

I can agree with all of that.

I think we all get onto dodgy terrain when we start arguing about what Yang Lu Chan and anyone else longer back in the past did or intended or didn't intend, could or couldn't do. It's all conjecture. But as regards the present day: I have felt a good number of Yang or Wu practitioners, some better known, some less known, whose main or public form was "smooth and flowing", or maybe even "soft looking", with no explicit fajin or suchlike, and yet they could issue sudden, shocking, scary power that you didn't feel coming (and in this context a half-second warning would be defined as clear advanced notice). The other qualities and methods of these people were quite diverse, but they all fell into this basic category of "non-dramatic form / dramatic power when you touch them". That's not my opinion, it's my experience.
-- By 'Yang' I don't mean just (or even mainly) the 'traditional' Yang style but also various offshoots and further developments in the broader style.
And by 'dramatic power' I certainly don't mean staged presentations where a master knocks over a row of his own students or similar crap.

And of course, there's a wide range of auxiliary (solo) exercises for training fajin and similar qualities, some with (reverse) breathing, some with poles or other equipment, that form part of various Yang and Wu systems. Even when people do these exercises, their basic form remains "smooth".
Last edited by Giles on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan