Chinese Swordsmanship Fencing Video!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Chinese Swordsmanship Fencing Video!

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 am

As promised, I have finished the video about Shanzhaidao, my Master's style of Chinese swordsmanship. It combines the techniques and strategies of Miaodao, Dandao, Baguadao and a little short staff and Jian for good measure. Some techniques work better for certain types of swords, but most can be used with any sword or even a baseball bat or umbrella. I think that you'll find Shanzhaidao to look quite different from European and Japanese styles of swordmanship. I have worked my balls of to learn it and ensure that it will be passed on to future generations. I hope that you enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFe_SiC ... e=youtu.be

I'd love to hear your comments!
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Chinese Swordsmanship Fencing Video!

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 am

Do you have the vid on a Chinese tube too?
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:21 am

Looks like less formal Kendo?
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:51 pm

No, I don't bother with Chinese sites. Low quality and my work will just get copied and used by millions..

Sure, it would be just like Kendo - if you could strike any target, use other stances, use lots of different footwork, grip the blade and alternate between one and two-handed... And if you didn't have to shout the name of your target every time!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Finny on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:43 pm

GrahamB wrote:Looks like less formal Kendo?

Yeah - they call it Chanbara. A fun game. All the best with it Maarten ;)
Finny
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Are you serious or trolling? For starters our training swords weigh a lot more than those floppy noodles (and are a third heavier than the heaviest Kendo Shinai) and are rigid (almost as rigid as a synthetic blade), so thrusts are possible and can be painful and leave massive bruises. Slashes and cleaving cuts can sting like a mother fucker, even through clothes, and can also leave bruises.

Your ignorance is disturbing and, frankly, disappointing. Do I need to invest a lot of money and do it with blunt metal blades and heavy armour for it to not be a game??? The techniques are identical. Do you need to hear the clangs of steel clashing? Or see arms lopped off?

We go full contact with no rules except to avoid hitting the back of the head and balls. The weapons are heavy enough to seriously injure someone. What more do you want? I invite you to test my swordsmanship skills any time, anywhere. If you want to compare it to a children's game at least have the balls to follow up your words with action.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Finny wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Looks like less formal Kendo?

Yeah - they call it Chanbara. A fun game. All the best with it Maarten ;)

I had noticed that some of the gaijin over here call it chambara, but it's really "sports chambara" or "spochan." Chambara, which means sword fighting, is a film genre. It does look like fun, but also much harder for me to take seriously than kendo or some of its precursors.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 pm

And you too would compare this to Spochan?
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Fatal Rose on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 am

Great vid! Looking forward to more!
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:23 am

MaartenSFS wrote:No, I don't bother with Chinese sites. Low quality and my work will just get copied and used by millions..

Then I can't see it, I like fencing arts so a little pity there...Wouldn't your teacher like the promotion of his sword art?
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 am

I'll ask my Master if he wants to post it. ;)

There will be more - eventually.. :)
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:15 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFe_SiC ... e=youtu.be

Nice bike, liked your other one better had more character .
The intro while interesting is a little long. The city shots very nice and interesting.

If you could reduce it while keeping the interesting parts it might be better.

The sequence of events seems backwards. Just an opinion. It might be better to start with the sparring and then show how and whats being done at certain points, the kind and type of training that make it work.

You start out by saying the art is a combination of traditional movements but neglected to demo or explain the base movements.. A comparison of traditional work along with your work might help illustrate the differences.

it does look like whats called "chanabra" had to look it up. live and learn :-\

In Korea they have something called Kumdo, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_swordsmanship
which is like kendo but also different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6uArhG0q18

The main difference seems to be the movement and distancing. The weapons used look lighter and more flexible. Reminds me of kendo with out the armor.

Recently hooked up with an old friend of mine, he collects, and teaches real chinese sword usage as part of his CMA teachings.
an old clip of him in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYRKCdr ... ata_player

Some of his collection in the back ground I'm sure you know what kind of weapons are shown...

The way the old swords are used very different due the weapon itself.

All in all, a nice clip my recommendations are to tighten it up a little.

best of luck ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Pandrews1982 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:46 am

Props for the enthusiasm and it's a nice video overall but I see a lot of stuff I'd try to avoid in your video. I know you're very defensive and will likely respond to this with indignity but this is meant as honest criticism. I'm no sword master but do teach Chineseswordsmanship with a view to disciplined and structured practice including free sparring with full weight heavy swords (wood and metal) so I'm speaking from experience.

I did like the thrusts with the heavy bamboo at the beginning, nice tool and good control there...but with the ball you look a bit frantic and thrusts seem to glance off it a little. Less speed more haste, slower more accurate thrusts it looked rushed.

Then the sparring... looks quite undisciplined. Over cutting and over committing with cuts from out of range. Then the bit about holding the flat of the blade, well you hold the entire blade sharp edge too for a moment or so not just the flat.

Tips are constantly pointing away from the opponent but you do make a well timed thrust at 8.25. The other guy seems very hesitant. 8.37 shows you over extend massively and hit the ground the other guy should have been on top of you there but backed away due to your momentum then both of you hit the ground again!

There seems to be a lack of defensive movement, good evasion or deflecting/parrying. Maybe the padding and helmets reduce the feeling of needing to defend? I don't know but it shows a lack of training in solid deflecting methods and counters.

9mins on, more wild swings, bouncing around out of range without any real strategy.

The bout at the end is a little more disciplined but still scrappy with a lot of wild swings. The guy in black armour is more disciplined/reserved but doesn't seem to have a lot of skill right now, his approach I think is good though, using simple direct methods in the main part with less big wide swings (though he does make a few).

Overall I think there is too much emphasis on free sparring here before having mastered basic methods. A more restricted sparring what I'd be doing with you guys, slower maybe or with restricted techniques and a defined space to train within so that you can't back away too much and have to focus more on deflections. I'd be trying to get you to work at a slightly closer range and focus on being able to deal with the quick thrusts so that you feel confident to stay at a closer range. Then I'd also want to work on discipline, especially reducing the over cutting and keeping a threat on the opponent at all times.

To me and please don't take this the wrong way, you look like enthusiastic beginners with a lot of potential. You appear to be quick and strong and with some discipline in your cutting plus a little defense you could be really good!
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 am

Sorry Maarten, but I've been teaching european fencing for more than a decade and I cant see a good fencing work here.

I know you are trying, you are serious, you do sparring, you avoid the onlyforms shit that saturates CMA...but it's very very poor fencing.
Last edited by jaime_g on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 am

What sort of fencing do you teach Jamie?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan