Second Chinese Swordsmanship Fencing Video!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Second Chinese Swordsmanship Fencing Video!

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:58 am

I managed to finish one more video before I leave China in two weeks. The video is about Daofa, the Way of the Sabre, and not to be confused with Jianfa, the double-edged sword. Both have differing methods of practise, techniques and strategies and do not look the same in fencing. 90% of our sabre methods are intended to be applicable to any weapon (or tool) that you may pick up, so that even in this modern age, it is an art that is relevant to self defence. The weapons that we use are heavier then the heaviest Kendo Shinai and demand respect, but can be used full-contact with reasonable safety with minimal protective equipment. I hope that you enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/EB-taTbMx2M

Also, I want to thank some of you that sent me a private message, but alas it seems like my messages get stuck in the Outbox and aren't being sent out. You can E-mail me at [email protected].
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Second Chinese Swordsmanship Fencing Video!

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 am

Another nice video. Do you feel that the saber comes more naturally to you? You seemed a bit more comfortable in the sparring.

Those trails looked treacherous!
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 am

Thank you.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Giles on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:23 am

I'm anything but a sword expert, but on the basis of my uninformed gut feeling I enjoyed the sparring in this video a lot more. Thanks for posting.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Another nice video. Do you feel that the saber comes more naturally to you? You seemed a bit more comfortable in the sparring.

Those trails looked treacherous!

Since sabre is the only weapon that I've really learned (and some staff), who's to say?

These videos were taken on the same day. I fenced for over two hours in a row and my wife kept the camera rolling. I had to delete most sequences where not enough excitement was going on for long stretches of time, so this is what's left. Unlike last time I had to cut it up more to remove boring stuff, as there wasn't a whole match that was entertaining enough on its own. For these scenes I was less focused on using those advanced techniques, so the fencing may have looked better.

Those trails were treacherous, but not the worst I've been on by a long shot. Just last week I did worse, but that was probably the last time.. It's always exhausting and bit dangerous, so I try not to bring my wife on those trips, which means getting footage of it is rare..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm

greytowhite wrote:Thank you.

Giles wrote:I'm anything but a sword expert, but on the basis of my uninformed gut feeling I enjoyed the sparring in this video a lot more. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 pm

The clips looked very free. The riding looked very dangerous.

Are you "a lone Ranger" when you ride or do you ride with others.

In Taiwan the different colored lic plates, are for different size bikes, is it the same in China
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Dangerous indeed. I used to do mostly solo riding until I met my wife several years ago. Sometimes friends would come but they didn't have the stomach for it.

In China the license plates seem to all be the same.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Maybe now that you’ve been banging around with the sticks, you have learned some respect for practicing form. Your work shows no connection to the weapon, all hands, it is as is, stick play. Respect to your study, I suggest you put more work into your basic Kung fu.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:12 pm

If you can't see it, I can't help you.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:45 am

I just passed my graduation tournament today. It started off as a normal training day. I trained solo things for an hour, then opponents started to show up. We fenced for an hour an a half straight, as the winner of each match had to continue fighting and I won most of the matches. The last half hour I won every single match and could barely move. I was praying that they get me. Then some people had to go and I figured that the rest weren't going to show up, so I continued to train things like pole-shaking for a half an hour and when we were about to turn off the lights and lock the door the last two decided to fucking show up..

I was so exhausted I could barely breathe or hold up my sword but beat the first guy quite handily, though by the last round I wanted to throw up. Finally it was time to fight the last guy, who is the owner of a Sanda school and has just begun to also teach swordsmanship (but Jianfa). He is the next in line in terms of ability and he was fresh and ready to go, though I defeated him in a really drawn-out match. I was about to pass out towards the end and my insides were on fire. This is what it feels like to fight on the battlefield, my Master said, and announced that I have graduated. It was an immensely satisfying experience, though I do not know where I got all that energy from. It was as if I was tapping into the soul itself to push myself to go on. Now I need to go out in the world and continue to hone my skills.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:23 am

thx M., for extraordinary China images,
`cause I`m not practiced weapons to much I will not comment their usage.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 am

I'm glad that you liked them. Many of those beautiful places have already disappeared and the rest are on the way..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 am

MaartenSFS wrote:I'm glad that you liked them. Many of those beautiful places have already disappeared and the rest are on the way..

Yes I too have enjoyed the top notch pics you have shared and reading about your martial art journey here in China. As you say things disappear and being replaced quick here, just a few years ago I used to stroll around in the "old" Japanese villa areas in Dalian they're almost gone now, one of them I often passed by that was a small shop/villa combined there was some old cameras in the window, often thought that that could perhaps be the place Toshiro Mifune grew up in :) .....Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, keep up the good work
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:12 pm

It's a real shame, isn't it? There is a lack of pride for their culture and history in China. Everything old is bad.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan