what recent progress have you made?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: what recent progress have you made?

Postby Franklin on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:22 am

been working on deep relaxation while doing my taichi
feeling the weight sink down through the bubbling spring point
and feeling the weight compress down into the legs
getting the waist and the compression in the legs to drive the hand movements

also working on opening and relaxing the hips and kua more and more

feel that i have been making some progress
after i finish practicing my body has a different feel
kua and hips are very relaxed- walking away from the area that i practice it feels like the legs are being slinged rather than me stepping- and my arms are much more relaxed
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22 pm

wiesiek wrote:contgrat Greg

Nice strech Omar
i still can do only elbow to toe,
to much sweets recently...
mayby in age of 60... :)

Dzieki Wiesiek.

It's funny coming from CMA I never thought much of the belt system but now I can understand how it can motivate people to train harder and also serves as a reward for those who have worked hard and dedicated years to an art.

I also see that it's not about ranking as much as acknowledging that someone has a certain degree of understanding.

Poz,

Gzregorz
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby everything on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:41 pm

getting better at practicing something, at least some little thing, every day. doing more qigong and getting better feel for it and better feelings from it. doing more yoga. can't do chin or even elbow to toe yet, shooting for elbow within a year.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 am

Omar (bailewen) wrote:
Today, with just "regular" stretching and warming up, I came pretty close but was still about 2 inches shy. The elbow though, I can now do totally cold.

TCMA has a lot quite different stretching exe. than "standard", topic for itself worth of the new post...
speaki`n of strech:
Jarek told me once that his teacher can touch shin by his toe...
-dropjaw-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Jeice on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:23 am

Latest development beyond how things "feel" is a truly punishing jab. Nothing else other than realising just how far off the cardio and flexibility bandwagons I've fallen.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:03 am

.. when you touch something with hand, foot, elbow whatever.. you can feel this touch anywhere in the body

interesting.....
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Bao wrote:
klonk wrote:Something I've been working on lately is to bring a more analytical approach to IMA movements. My inspiration here is Western fencing, which has every movement categorized, named and numbered. This is in contrast to the four word poetic name given to most taiji techniques. I'm working mainly on categorizing torso position in relation to the feet.

It's too soon to say whether this is progress or a fascinating waste of time.

Very interesting. I hope you share more of your method and the results. I am sure you will see some good results coming.

Thanks. Well, I finally got my ideas on this into some sort of order and posted them here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5029

Response to that topic has been light but favorable; many more views than responses. Thanks to all who have read it.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 pm

So, the other day I was working out and something between my shoulder blade seperated...like opened up a lot. Now I can feel my body as one piece. Before I was mostly in the front of my body and could move my mind to the back if I tried...now I'm kind of all in it, and moving from front to back doesn't cause any sort of brain farts....it's sort of seamless.

So, today the real benefits of that started to show during my workout. I think I now have begun to understand both the concept of Sung Kwa and Twist Power. It's really requiring a yet higher level of relaxation, especially through sort of offbalanced movements since I have to conciously command my body not to tense when it starts to approach the perimeter of my normal balance range....but it's yielding very cool results.

Yay Bagua!!!! Endlessly coool!!!!
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby H2O on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:51 pm

shawnsegler wrote:So, the other day I was working out and something between my shoulder blade seperated...like opened up a lot. Now I can feel my body as one piece. Before I was mostly in the front of my body and could move my mind to the back if I tried...now I'm kind of all in it, and moving from front to back doesn't cause any sort of brain farts....it's sort of seamless.

You just had gas. Sorry to be the one to break it to you :(
H2O
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Oh, I just make up everything I say on RSF anyway...so no worries. :(
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby oldtyger on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:13 am

I found out how to keep my meridians open doing bagua. Something I had not been able to figure out although my taijiquan teacher told me it was possible. He figured it out and was able to do his bagua like he does his taijiquan. I told everyone, including myself, I was going to focus on my taijiquan because of this, but I can't help enjoying my other arts.

I've also made some real progress in my qigong, can really analyze on a basic level and found a specific blocked channel on someone at work--opened it--and she told me her headache went away. Of course, being the skeptic that I am, I don't know for certain I did anything but it seems like I did.

I also made some progress in my understanding of yi methods in tuishou and my ability to communicate my interpretations in the setting of a push hands group yesterday. Questions from others are actually good because it forces me to think of good answers. I was able to explain how to initiate yi methods for attack, sense the response and immediately push(not necessarily with a lot of force) based on the response, as well as how to counter a yi method attack. I may have even made some progress on getting one of the guys to finally lighten his hands up.
oldtyger
Mingjing

Postby Jonny on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:49 pm

My ZZ has gotten stronger. my structure is improving and therefor am less distracted by stabilizer muscles shaking, so I can focus on the mental aspects.

Jon
Last edited by Jonny on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny
Mingjing

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Inspired by Omar's story I've been pushing my stiff ass to stretch more and finally touched my toes for the first time since my teens.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Greg, congrats on the blue belt!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:37 pm

fuga wrote:Greg, congrats on the blue belt!

Thanks Pete, now the guys at the gym expect me to perform like one. So I've been doing a lot of research in my weak areas and it makes me train harder so it's all good.

Btw, I'll be at judo with the Russians on Tuesday. The class has been moved to 8 to 9:30. It should be fun watching me getting owned and thown...
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan