A 'synthesis' of internal arts?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: A 'synthesis' of internal arts?

Postby Daniel-san on Wed May 30, 2018 2:09 am

suckinlhbf wrote:@ appledog

I use Shaolin Lohan kung for the beginner to open up all the joints and tendons of the whole body. It is a training set start from external to lead into internal. Correct posture is the key to get effective results. The body posture requirements are similar to the descriptions in Neigung Jing which was later adopted by Song's Xingyi.

I am interested in studying this set of exercises, but there appears to be a lot of different interpretations on-line. Are there any particular versions you would recommend?
Daniel-san
Anjing

Postby suckinlhbf on Wed May 30, 2018 8:14 am

Daniel-san

The Lohan Kung set was taught by Luo Guangyu (羅光玉) when he first started Hong Kong ChinWo around 1930. By that time, all students had to do this set before leaving every class. Later, one of his student - Wong Hon Fan wrote a book on Lohan Kung. According to the people at their time, Wong's set came from a book called 少林图说 in Luo's library. Wong's set was quite different than the one Luo taught. Some styles also have their Lohan Kung training set but not the same. I haven't seen Luo's set being placed online.
Last edited by suckinlhbf on Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Wed May 30, 2018 9:17 am

Are there any particular versions you would recommend

I don't think some of the subtle alignments and movements can be learnt online. Most of the time we won't even realize by looking at it. Even a hand to hand learning will need several refining and corrections. Basic is actually not basic if goes deep.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu May 31, 2018 12:13 am

Hello, I'd like to maintain a 'cool post count' of 108 posts. This particular post has gone beyond that number and has therefore expired.

I'm sorry if you were looking for some old information but I'll do my best to answer you if you send me a DM with a question in it.
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Daniel-san on Thu May 31, 2018 1:45 am

Last edited by Daniel-san on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Daniel-san
Anjing

Postby suckinlhbf on Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 am

Here is some information about sets/forms named "Lohan" - http://www.egreenway.com/qigong/lohan.htm

I haven't seen Luo's set in print, and online yet. There are some people in Hong Kong doing Luo's set still.

On comparing qigong sets, I would look for those that can effectively "stretch the tendons to pull up the bones" (伸筋拔骨) of the whole body. And the set includes up, down, float, sink, open, close, in, out and Taiji (升降浮沉開合吞吐太极).
Last edited by suckinlhbf on Thu May 31, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Daniel-san on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:11 am

Last edited by Daniel-san on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel-san
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan