Avoiding double-heaviness

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Avoiding double-heaviness

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 am

charles wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:That is definitely an accurate and useful conceptualization, but it's the most basic layer of the concept.

Yes it is. You are asking very basic questions. I'm providing very basic answers. It doesn't make sense to provide answers that require a more advanced understanding if one doesn't understand the very basics.

It's dividing the body into two parts, left/right.

No, that is your interpretation of what I wrote. I didn't say that. Re-read what I wrote.

What happens when you're using the cross-body connections as described by interloper? That is a division of four parts, left/right/upper/lower, and the understanding of the same concept becomes a bit more complex.

Yes it does. But, you have to first understand the more basic situation, before a more complex one. Learn to walk before learning to run.

How does it change when dealing purely with the forces of gravity versus adding the forces of an opponent?

The method of dealing with forces/moving doesn't change. What changes is that there can be additional forces to deal with.

More simply and concretely, what are "things" on either side of the centre and how are they moving.

That's the right question. It varies depending upon teacher and style. In my experience, many teachers have no answer to that question because they haven't recognized/implemented the question.

I provided you a specific (video) example of someone doing a common action that is double-weighted. Until you know what's wrong with what he is doing, you can't begin to correct it. Start there and we'll have a basis for a deeper discussion. Taijiquan isn't an academic/intellectual art: mostly, one learns the art by doing it (correctly). Start with doing what he is doing and then we can begin to explore how to correct it, in so much as is possible by communicating in a written forum.

I'm sure your skill and knowledge of taijiquan far exceeds my own. It seems that the gap in understanding is too great for this conversation to be worthwhile any longer. Thanks for your input.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan