3 Ways To Practice tai Chi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 3 Ways To Practice tai Chi

Postby marvin8 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 pm

johnwang wrote:
Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Now days I’m not really interesting in free-sparring anymore,

Me neither. I don't bother about "fighting" or think in those terms nowadays.

I still love sparring. But I don't like to spar with my own students. My main interest in sparring is to obtain a successful clinch in a fist flying environment. Most of the time I don't even care about the finish move. When I can find opportunity to enter and enter successfully, the amount of joy can make me smile in my dream for many nights. In sparring, there are something that I enjoy very much that even money won't be able to buy for me. Through the sparring process, I try to prove whether "anti-striking" is possible or not. I'll need a huge amount of data in order to prove it or dis-prove it.

You don't need to spar "to prove whether 'anti-striking' is possible or not." There is already "a huge amount of data in order to prove it or dis-prove it."

UFC has featured high level grapplers (e.g., olympic and international champion wrestlers, judoka, BJJ, etc.) against other MAists, since Nov 11, 1993. Fights can be found on the internet.
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Trick wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:I didn't get a chance to finish my thoughts this morning but I wanted to add that now that I have learned pretty much everything that I wanted to learn and have some years of sparring and fencing under my belt and feel that I am competent enough I am becoming more interested in self-cultivation. Perhaps it's also because I spent so many years at the whim of other people's schedules and now there isn't a constant flow of training partners every day that I am naturally gravitating towards solo training like that. Or perhaps its because I trained so hard for so many years that I feel like training at that intensity now doesn't offer the same benefits now that I have progressed further and diversifying my regimen is the next logical step to further improve. I'm actually considering to add some Qigong like exercises to my curriculum. When I busy preoccupied with learning how to fight I could never bring myself to train it much.. :-[

You studied LiuheXinYiquan & Xingyiquan ? Hold on to the basics from these MA’s and daily polish them, find some friends with who you can practice sparring exercises , that’s all the Qigong you need

Haha, well you won't find me standing still very long.. There's too much to train to waste my time like that. I get bored too easily.. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:33 pm

johnwang wrote:
Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Now days I’m not really interesting in free-sparring anymore,

Me neither. I don't bother about "fighting" or think in those terms nowadays.

I still love sparring. But I don't like to spar with my own students. My main interest in sparring is to obtain a successful clinch in a fist flying environment. Most of the time I don't even care about the finish move. When I can find opportunity to enter and enter successfully, the amount of joy can make me smile in my dream for many nights. In sparring, there are something that I enjoy very much that even money won't be able to buy for me (such as move in with a successful clinch without being kicked or punched). Through the sparring process, I try to prove whether "anti-striking" is possible or not. I'll need a huge amount of data in order to prove it or dis-prove it.

I know the feeling.. :) Whenever I spar or fence I'm always trying to use some specific techniques or strategies. As long as I achieve those, I'll be satisfied.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm

marvin8 wrote:UFC has featured high level grapplers (e.g., olympic and international champion wrestlers, judoka, BJJ, etc.) against other MAists, since Nov 11, 1993. Fights can be found on the internet.

But most of those record are for single leg or double legs. I'm only interested in the data for double under hooks, double over hooks, and head lock. In other words, what's the chance that when someone tries to knock my head off and I can still wrap his punching arm.

Sorry for the side track of the 3 ways to practice taiji discussion. I prefer the 4th way to practice Taiji. That is how can I use Taiji to achieve my personal goal such as "enter successfully and finish successfully".
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan