Why thé death of master yang Cheng fu mysterious?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Why thé death of master yang Cheng fu mysterious?

Postby origami_itto on Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:37 pm

And what you got to show except a big mouth and the CMC paraphrase I gave you props for.

Show me. Show me the evidence behind these claims. The world hungers for it.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:21 pm

I would show freely if it was not for those that take any grain of truth and distort it to their own means
Those that don’t look can’t see
Some of us would rather see the real art fade into obscurity than be defiled by those who make a joke of it
You claim you are close to the truth why would u want to hear from a fool like me
I will say it once more I don’t write for you but for those looking for a real path
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:35 pm

My tai chi teacher who taught me the real use of the jian didn't like the dao/broadsword very much. He thought it was too clumsy and easy to read. The jian otoh is very fast and hard to defend against. First he didn't want to teach the dao at all, he thought it was a waste of time and effort. It took a couple of years to convince him. Then when he had taught a dao form, he said: "You have learned it, so now you can throw it away." He thought that understanding and practice the basics was enough. Except for making a few important principles clear, he saw no point at all practicing it.

I agree. When it comes to the jian and staff/sword, there's much you can continue to refine in terms of mechanics, things that can generally help your tai chi in different ways. But when you have learned the different ways to cut, slice, stab and defend with the dao, there's not much more to get out of it.

Otherwise, Wayne summed up everything else I have to say:

You claim you are close to the truth why would u want to hear from a fool like me
I will say it once more I don’t write for you but for those looking for a real path
Last edited by Bao on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:05 pm

The sword taught me another level in pushing hands
When u have a sword no need to look for a pushing hands partner
The first sword exercise is a real task for most people to get right
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:09 pm

origami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:The dao is for actually fighting, the jian is about training the yi and extending the qi.

So the jian is not for actual use? Wow, that's probably the most bizarre thing I've ever read on this board.

Weapons are only relevant within a particular framework and context. The context where Taiji jian is relevant is very limited.

Fantasy fencing duels and larping, let's be honest.

Throughout history, single blade swords have reigned supreme. The curved shape is the most efficient for melee cutting, you can see that carrying over even into early firearms conflict.

In Rwanda, as in most other contemporary grassroots genocides, they grab machetes.

By Yang Cheng fus time, hell long before that, again, let's be honest, the jian was primarily a ceremonial implement, studied by scholars, not warriors. The story of the wudang jian form is about applying oneself to self cultivation in order to pass the civil exam (or otherwise noteworthy achievement), be of service, and die with all of your business handled.

Cheng man Ching did write about the weapons and Wayne has a YouTube video explaining so no need to get into the details, but suffice it to say that his theory placed a different emphasis on each of the weapons.

The jian is yi, they're all about extending qi.

The dao is about strength and aggression and attacking.

If anybody wants to prove me wrong go hang out with some HEMA folks and get some video.

Just so you feel at home - an American HEMA site, the double edged sword - https://www.kriegerarmory.com/shop

Machete is not original meaning of a weapon- as you know - it’s a tool for the “garden”. However if a skillful fencer would pic it up as a weapon I’m sure exquisite Yi and Qi will shine out of it too, just as with the Jian.

If you play your taiji-dao with fierce strength and aggression ? Then you are doing it wrong.
Last edited by Trick on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Bhassler on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:20 pm

Bao wrote:When it comes to the jian and staff/sword, there's much you can continue to refine in terms of mechanics, things that can generally help your tai chi in different ways. But when you have learned the different ways to cut, slice, stab and defend with the dao, there's not much more to get out of it.

There's as much to learn from the dao as any other weapon. It's not the tool's fault if someone doesn't know how to use it.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:47 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The sword taught me another level in pushing hands

I would love to know more about this... since I have long not had a pushing hands partner :-[
I am always trying to figure out ways to practice push hands alone.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:50 pm

Take Tatang Illustrisimo and his use of the Itak
Using Fractione the subtle use of this basic broadsword
I have had things happen with both knife and sword after of over 40 years of daily practice
These things fa I ate me every day
Don’t sell the art short every part is there for a reason
Look deep it will answer back
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:56 pm

Edededed I learnt the sword in a very square manner
The grip was light
When the hand is shoulder level on the right and the tip low on the left
It is only held by the thumb and pinkey
When reversed
In the tigers mouth
There lies the secret
Hard to describe in print easy to show
The sword is replaced in pushing by the forearm
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:27 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Edededed I learnt the sword in a very square manner
The grip was light
When the hand is shoulder level on the right and the tip low on the left
It is only held by the thumb and pinkey
When reversed
In the tigers mouth
There lies the secret
Hard to describe in print easy to show
The sword is replaced in pushing by the forearm

Wow - I will have to chew on that for a while - many thanks for sharing.
I did wonder why in Wu style the sword grip is so light (I was afraid that it would be knocked out of my hand).
I guess that there is that complex part in the middle of the form where the sword is held that way (vertically).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:07 pm

Steve James wrote:In (by) the 20th century, nobody was going to fight with a jian. It was already worn more as a ceremonial object by the 19th (by Confucius's time, actually). Though, I was taught that one clue was the curve of the guard. It showed whether the jian was for a warrior or a scholar. Anyway, Confucius said "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance."

If we're talking about usage, then the people who do it best are the ones who do it every day. If you haven't practiced a lot with a jian, you'd be better off with a dao. (I'm talking for myself :)).

Imo, origami-itto is more correct in that daos were taken to war in the 20th century. The Japanese wore and used the katana, also a single edged weapon. How many Japanese soldiers were actually adept at using the katana is unclear. Japanese armies had been using firearms in the 1500s. In WW2 they primarily used their katanas after their ammunition ran out. It's also true that the panga/machete was commonly used by various factions in African conflicts (from Uganda/Rwanda to Sierra Leone).

The Japanese sword(s) - for sure has no lack in sophisticated Yi and Qi - https://doyouknowjapan.com/katana/

It’s the curvature that gives the outer beauty and sophisticated usage it’s attraction - the machete is not even comparable to it.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:56 pm

origami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:
It definitely has its use, good use and its own advantages in the right context. If you don't get it, then you don't get it. I couldn't care less whatever. Just throwing out some genuine information so others won't be misguided by your ignorant BS.

I don't get it. Show me.

I am ignorant. Educate me.

Take your straight sword and show me how you fight with it.

It's a long time since it's been relevant. Prove me wrong. Show me.

??
Olympic fencing - epee and foil. Or academic fencing that use sharp blades.
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 pm

Edededed I learnt the Wu knife and sword first
The versions I learnt didn’t have the same detail and I stopped practicing
That may have been the teacher though
My straight sword comes from Yui Kwong from HK
I still practice the Wu walking stick
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby edededed on Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:50 am

Ah - Yui Kwong I think was a grandstudent of Yang Shouzhong? I have not done Yang style for a long time - but I understand the sword form is completely different - I did not know that they also hold the sword so lightly, but I guess Wu style is after all from Yang style...

I didn't even know that there was a Wu walking stick... :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:42 am

edededed wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:The sword taught me another level in pushing hands

I would love to know more about this... since I have long not had a pushing hands partner :-[
I am always trying to figure out ways to practice push hands alone.

Swimming in air is of course the most obvious way. Once a secret, today common knowledge? Masters who first went public with it was not liked by the majority of masters who also knew this secret.
However this secret kind of keeps itself since most practitioners are so obsessed with power and how to generate such, they instead try to figure out and follow secrets that don’t exist, they get nothing
Trick
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan