kicking the shins

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: kicking the shins

Postby JAB on Thu May 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Yeah it is all speculation. I have never seen anything like what George described.
Using "fake" anything would not provide much true info.

Jake -rockets-
JAB

Postby I am... on Thu May 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Why bother with trying to break a bone with a strike? Just train how to deliver the ones in your chosen style(s) reliably, and then work on power generation, and if something breaks, fantastic, if not, that wasn't your game plan to begin with. I can say from personal experience as an athlete that conditions their shins that a shin attack in a fight is roughly on par with punching someone in the shoulder or forearm. It CAN hurt and have an effect, but not soon enough to save you from harm, percentage wise.

Kneecaps are also pretty impervious to damage if the leg is bent. Getting one a bit slack on the other hand can give you some potential. Keep in mind that what you feel while training with your friends is a whole different world compared to what bothers you when the body takes over and decides it is self preservation time. I busted up one of shins so badly I couldnt really even touch it without getting some nausea (cracked bone and nerve damage) in a fight several years back. I had no idea it was hurt during the fight, no idea that afternoon or evening either other than it being sore. The next day I knew.

If you want to put someone down, put something in an organ, destroy a joint, or do something that gives you positional/structural dominance, like a throw.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby JAB on Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 pm

I am-
Totally agree. But the topic was about shins.
Jake -toast-
JAB

Postby yusuf on Thu May 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Hey

are you guys serious ? ...if you kick the bone properly you can feel it begin to bend.... add some other jin in and you get real interesting results 8-) ... wear shoes and kick with a pointy bit and it will make most people pull back and seriously reconsider comign in... if yuo add in a whip of the leg/ rotate the hip joint then the fight will stop ...

anyone who reckons it is not a fight stopper please let me knick their shin during sparring .... if it doesn;t stop you then i'll buy you five beers and change my username to Ballet Boy

;D

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 pm

JAB wrote:Yeah it is all speculation. I have never seen anything like what George described.
Using "fake" anything would not provide much true info.

Jake -rockets-

By fake I meant, a synthetic shin made to have the same density, shape, flexion, and size as a real shin. Since taking cadaver shins to kick repeatedly would not be very easy to do or very PC.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Thu May 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Put it to you like this... the only time I'd ever use a shin kick against an aggressive, determined attacker is as a setup or distraction before hitting him upstairs repeatedly and following immediately with some type of hold or choke. By itself as a stand-alone technique is IMO sure suicide and will most likely only piss the guy off. Too much of a "high risk" move for me to rely on.

A well-placed cut kick to the inside of the knee OTOH, and timber!
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu May 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: breaking the knee with a kick.

I've never felt my knee coming remotely close to breaking, ever.

To break that joint it has to be extended to the full first.

That rarely happens and it's hard to maneuver it into that position during standing.

You can't just kick it and expect it to break.
Ian

Postby bigphatwong on Thu May 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Ian wrote:Re: breaking the knee with a kick.

I've never felt my knee coming remotely close to breaking, ever.

To break that joint it has to be extended to the full first.

That rarely happens and it's hard to maneuver it into that position during standing.

You can't just kick it and expect it to break.

Right, assuming you attempt to kick it straight in a la classical karate sidekick. However, the INSIDE of the knee joint is still vulnerable, as it is not built to flex sideways (that's how most leg breaks in skiing accidents happen) so a well-placed round kick there has a much better chance of incapacitating someone, no matter how badly they are drugged up or can't feel it. Not a big fan of leg kicks in general, but that's one I would bank on if I had to.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm

you can mess someone up with a kick to the shin, they can be nasty! your not aimin at the shin bone.

just like a thai inside shin kick, they can stop someone.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu May 22, 2008 7:09 pm

I was seriously fucked up by a kick to the knee years ago in TKD.

Moi and a partner were practicing ax kicks (ie straight leg swings) and I was standing in front of him with (I guess) a straight leg. As he swung the leg UP, it caught me under the kneecap. Hurt like hell, and I could not continue training; next day, could not walk, had to have it drained of blood.

This was a training accident, not an intentional technique, but it has made me wonder about the possiblities of an upward kick to the leading kneecap.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 22, 2008 7:24 pm

A trained fighter might be hard to catch with their knee locked out or close enough to finish locking it with your kick, untrained fighter OTOH usually keeps their legs too straight. Side kick to the outside of the knee can do some serious damage too.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Cryptohominid on Thu May 22, 2008 8:10 pm

I Like low swinging kicks that either hit the inside or outside of the knee or cut across the shin for damage. Straight kicks with the toe or sole to the shin are good distractions to set up top side attacks, not just to draw attention there but to rake the shin and/or stand on the foot etc...

All shod, of course. Who the hell wants to fight barefoot?!?
OTOH, I've known people that trained barefoot outside their whole lives whose feet are at least as tough as their hands. Khilton comes to mind. Whole different animal, as they say.
Cryptohominid
Anjing

Postby Frazetta on Fri May 23, 2008 1:06 am

FigureFour wrote:the vid of the guy breaking his shin is a freak accident. i challenge you to find another one like it.

Challenge Accepted. -devil-

Last edited by Frazetta on Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby Ian on Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 am

Kicking your shins until they're rubbery and delicious, like flannel or soft edam!
Ian

Postby Peacedog on Fri May 23, 2008 10:06 am

xxxxxx.
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan