kicking the shins

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: kicking the shins

Postby johnwang on Thu May 29, 2008 10:48 am

Ron Panunto wrote:If you're already rich, why would you want to, or need to, train hard?

Only rich people can afford to hire body guards to protect their family. Most of the body guards they hired are good CMA guys. My teacher told me that he needed a new pair of socks everyday. Most poor family couldn't afford to do that. When you were young, you need to eat a lot of meat when you train. Poor family also can't afford that.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Fri May 30, 2008 9:29 am

For more on purring, go to http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2004/j ... h_0804.htm.

Perhaps I have unusually sensitive shins, but I don´t enjoy being kicked there. Makes me mean and nasty. >:(
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Sat May 31, 2008 6:07 pm

johnwang wrote:My teacher told me that he needed a new pair of socks everyday.

about 50% of my socks have holes at heel.....
i need to make my holes at the balls of my foot.

my wife still cannot understand how i can make so many holes.

now i just like to wear sandals so i dont need new socks.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 6:45 pm

FigureFour wrote:the vid of the guy breaking his shin is a freak accident. i challenge you to find another one like it.

4. (similar in that it's a "fight")

5. (similar in that it's a "kick")

I could go on and on, but basically, that shin bone is easy to break, as are all the joints and bones in the lower legs, really. Specially with a good heel kick.

And they can definitely be show-stoppers.

Hell, they even mention it specifically in the "Yang Family Secret Transmissions"

As far as challenges go, I've faced more difficult ones.
What do I win?
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:19 am

I would bet money the soccer player either had a stress or hairline fracture before it snapped.

As for the other its all about where its hit and it does seem like it gets broken more often by doing the kicking than by getting kicked. If you strike with the lower blade if the shin, like the last few inches before the ankle, the chances of the shin breaking are slim. Thats the same as breaking a katana from hitting something with the tip, its what you are supposed to strike with because it is the strongest portion for striking and it can use the entire bone for flexing to absorb force. In just about every example the person is either struck in or strikes with the middle of the shin, this causes the bone to flex forward around that center point on both sides and against the natural curve of the shin bone, once it flexes so far its gonna snap.

I still don't know if I would call it easy though.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby zenman on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:56 pm

I got kicked in the shin by a guy wearing cowboy boots. I've never forgotten how bad it hurt. This happened in the second grade, lol!
zenman
Anjing

Postby Aged Tiger on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:15 pm

zenman wrote:I got kicked in the shin by a guy wearing cowboy boots. I've never forgotten how bad it hurt. This happened in the second grade, lol!

*Crying for Zenman* :'(

This is weird, I was kicked by cowboy boots in the sixth grade..... I still remember it too.

I'm holding a lit candle for us both..... ;)

Maybe we should all wear cowboy boots as part of our fighting gear??

Chas
perfect practice is the secret....
Famous Quote: "You Bagua look like wounded duck on butter"
Aged Tiger
Great Old One

Postby RobT on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:30 am

Yes, being kicked in the shins hurts. Is it a gauranteed finisher - no, slugging someone to the jaw, windpipe, liver (& other major organs), throwing them on top of their head while the neck is bent, using chinna to attack a joint resulting in ligament damage... these are finishers.

Shin kicking of course has a role to play - a "stop kick" to halt an attacker's forward momentum prior to a counter, an "attention taker" in true "feint low, attack high" style prior to a finisher etc.

I'm with John Wang here -
it is important to know what your finish strategy is and drill that until it is something you can instictively rely on
then it is important to know what your enter strategy is and drill that combination until it too is somethnig you can rely on
... you need both.

I'd be willing to bet that the vid of the kicking exercises is precisely that - some really good drills that instill strength, power and really good footwork as a key entry to a finishing techique (the arm drills from the beginning of the clip could well be that).

RT
"What can be said can be said simply - and whereof we cannot speak thereof we must be silent" (Wittgenstein)
"What we can't say we can't say, and we can't whistle it either" (Ramsey)
"Discuss less, practice more" (RobT)
RobT
Mingjing

Postby meeks on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:34 pm

there's a couple vids there that just turn my stomach to watch...but...I ...can't....look...away....
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Speaking of Vids, this is mainly for DT, but can you see how this type of low heel kick to the middle of the shin, perhaps against an incoming roundhouse or a bad stance, could produce the same effect?

oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby RobP on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:11 am

One of my lads now has the disticntion of being the UK British Shin Kicking Champion 2008!

http://soglos.com/sport-outdoor/28241/B ... 008-review

cheers

Rob
RobP

Postby RobP on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:15 am

One of my lads now has the disticntion of being the UK British Shin Kicking Champion 2008!

cheers

Rob
Last edited by RobP on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobP

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 am

RobP wrote:One of my lads now has the disticntion of being the UK British Shin Kicking Champion 2008!

cheers

Rob

Now THAT is proper martial arts! Well done.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 am

johnwang wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:If you're already rich, why would you want to, or need to, train hard?

Only rich people can afford to hire body guards to protect their family. Most of the body guards they hired are good CMA guys. My teacher told me that he needed a new pair of socks everyday. Most poor family couldn't afford to do that. When you were young, you need to eat a lot of meat when you train. Poor family also can't afford that.

My Bagua grand teacher's father paid Master Gao Yi-Sheng 20 taels of silver per month plus free room and board in order to hire him as the family's bodyguard/Bagua teacher.
Last edited by C.J.Wang on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:23 am

TaoJoannes wrote:Speaking of Vids, this is mainly for DT, but can you see how this type of low heel kick to the middle of the shin, perhaps against an incoming roundhouse or a bad stance, could produce the same effect?

Its possible. Kicking an oncoming roundhouse at the shin while you are moving yourself and your opponent is trying to set up an optimal chance to kick will be difficult at best. Kicking the leg as it lands is a much more likely move to succeed. The weight would need to be over the leg you were kicking to get the best chance of breaking the bone so as to minimize the movement of the leg to absorb impact. If you are going to deliberately try to break the leg during the roundhouse kick you are best to block it with your upper leg just below the knee into the middle of their oncoming shin.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan