kicking the shins

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

kicking the shins

Postby I-mon on Thu May 22, 2008 2:10 am

hurts a lot.

how come ALL the big fighting sports stuff is done barefoot or in wrestling/boxing shoes?

people keep asking why CMA doesn't work in the ring, etc.
I-mon
Great Old One

Re: kicking the shins

Postby FigureFour on Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 am

quite a while ago someone posted something about an old english and american fighting sport that involved kicking the shins with treated leather boots. i could swear it was called purling, but i got nothing from that in a search on wikipedia. anyway, those matches sometimes lasted into the dozens of rounds. to me that says...while incredibly painful, shin kicks arent really fight enders, especially if the person has done some conditioning.
FigureFour
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Thu May 22, 2008 3:20 am

The old Welsh sport was called "purring" and has undergone something of a revival in the UK in recent years.

Figure Four nails it down. Shin kick hurts a lot but is not a damager, and certainly not a stopper - unless your opponent/assailant really lacks guts. Stamp kick to shin is a decent move as part of a combi, but that's about the best that can be said for it.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Thu May 22, 2008 4:19 am

welsh shin kicking that's classic. those dudes must've had gnarly shins.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Thu May 22, 2008 4:51 am

I think the shins end up hurting more the next day. Definitely not fight enders, but a good way to divert someones attention.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Thu May 22, 2008 5:03 am

Good for taking the mind, sensory overload, checking people's step, combining high and low in combination with uppercut etc... and I think could certainly stop the show with most people if powerful enough, though you wouldn't rely on it, of course.

Check out from about 3:30:

Last edited by Martin on Thu May 22, 2008 5:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Martin
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 22, 2008 5:09 am

Kicking someone's shin can be a fight ender, you would would think the reverse could be true too. Those kicks in the vid above would probably really hurt.
Last edited by DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 22, 2008 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby FigureFour on Thu May 22, 2008 5:25 am

the vid of the guy breaking his shin is a freak accident. i challenge you to find another one like it.

the chuo jiao guys are insane. however, i dont know why if you had that kind of incredible kicking skill youd be aiming for the shin instead of the knee cap, which is much more likely to be a crippling target.
FigureFour
Santi

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu May 22, 2008 7:57 am

Yup...kicking the shins hurt, but it's not going to stop an angry guy unless you break that bone..and that's unlikely to happen.

Kicking the knee cap and the tendons of the side of the knee?. That'd do it
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu May 22, 2008 8:08 am

I remember I read somewhere (And Dr. Fish confirmed it) that the guy in the shin break video may have had some sort of bone sickness. I don't remember the name tight now.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby I-mon on Thu May 22, 2008 9:00 am

yeah i'm not talking about shin kicks as some sort of super-deadly kung fu fighting technique, just that they are good, and that all of those wonderful below-the-waist kicks (and stamping on the toe or ankle) done with the sole of the foot or the toes don't work well without shoes.

"i dont know why if you had that kind of incredible kicking skill youd be aiming for the shin instead of the knee cap, which is much more likely to be a crippling target."

the shin, ankle and toes are even lower than the knee and therefore kicks at this height are even sneakier!

"Good for taking the mind, sensory overload, checking people's step, combining high and low in combination with uppercut etc..."

like a good jab or feint, i think maybe the things mentioned by martin can often be more important than whether a move is a fight stopper.

anyway no big deal, i'm just kind of wondering why combat sports have all gone for (essentially) no shoes by default.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 am

Martin wrote:

this looks amazingly like xinyiliuhe, but even more raw! 8-) what's the deal?

lots of these kicks look like the ones we'd do in xylh. goddam i love that style.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby JuanM on Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 am

Capoeira Regional is practiced barefoot and it's not like Angoleros use Doc Martins when practicing. From what I've mostly seen the wear light athletic shoes such as running shoes or martial arts shoes. Either way a kick to the shins with such shoes would not hurt much more than a kick with a bare foot. Just sayin'.
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am

Actually I have seen a couple vids where leg kicks/blocks break the leg. But I agree they are rare at best!
Pride actually allowed people to wear shoes. Shin kicks are not fight enders, but they certainly can be distracting.
George Xu talked to me once about a Xin Yi shin kick (sorry don't know the name) that was aimed up, and in to the shin, kicking with the ball of the foot, that supposedly would shatter the shin bone :-\ He kicked me and it hurt, but nothing like what he described. But then again I am told I have tough, sharp shins. But he said the angle up and into the bone causes it to shatter and splinter. Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks,
Jake -nunchaku-
JAB

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 22, 2008 1:04 pm

JAB wrote:Actually I have seen a couple vids where leg kicks/blocks break the leg. But I agree they are rare at best!
Pride actually allowed people to wear shoes. Shin kicks are not fight enders, but they certainly can be distracting.
George Xu talked to me once about a Xin Yi shin kick (sorry don't know the name) that was aimed up, and in to the shin, kicking with the ball of the foot, that supposedly would shatter the shin bone :-\ He kicked me and it hurt, but nothing like what he described. But then again I am told I have tough, sharp shins. But he said the angle up and into the bone causes it to shatter and splinter. Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks,
Jake -nunchaku-

Angle makes a huge difference on whether a bone breaks or not. Bones are designed to support loads from specific directions and absorb forces from specfic directions. Quite honestly a shin is not designed to be used to whack shit. It is definitely a tough bone to break and due to its curve has good resitance to horizontal forces but given enough pressure in the right spot at the right angle, it might break easier than you would think. Would be interesting to get a bunch of fake shin bones and test the best way to break them, then figure out the best way to strike them to maximize the chances of them breaking. I would imagine an angle coming to the inside of the leg and back and up into the midpoint would be most likely to break it, just speculation though.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan