"Oh hey, this stuff works!"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

"Oh hey, this stuff works!"

Postby origami_itto on Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:26 am

So I started teaching in the park, just fundamentals. No form work yet. I'm isolating arms and shoulders, spine and waist, and legs and hips in separate single drills based on select form movements.

Collectively, the movements comprise 7 different ways to use circles that specifically target the physical conditioning and coordination needed to tie them together in one unit. It's systematic so mastery of each circle helps achieve the next, and then the next level of the exercise.

The first circle is just Taiji beginning from your forms, aka the "up and down" qigong, raise the arms, lower the arms, repeat.

The second has the hands on opposite sides of an imaginary wheel on your centerline, palms facing away from the wheel, inner palm rising, outer palm falling. I originally learned the movement as "drilling" in baguazhang, but it is essentially a part of how I do "White Crane Spreads Wings", and in the next levels it becomes that but for here it's just that drilling. There's more to it but this is enough for the discussion.

The idea is that if you're surprised, your natural impulse is to flinch into that posture, which suggests the "Philly Shell" defense from western boxing.

So my student, who had been missing lately, shows up to class yesterday, so excited. She said she was out walking a bird flew right into her face, but she responded with the drilling movement and it just bounced right off her forearm. No harm done. I'd say she's in her 40's maybe early 50s, It's hard to tell.

And y'all, that's the moments that make it worth it for me. I could care less about people that want to go out of their way to put themselves in danger, whether that's in a sports fight or a homemade submersible, but helping just normal folks avoid ... uh... bird strikes??? and being able to play more with their kids and grandkids, maybe keep an overzealous dog or two from knocking them down when they visit, that's what it's all about for me.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: "Oh hey, this stuff works!"

Postby everything on Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:27 pm

she's clearly a taiji master already, haha. well, only if the bird then couldn't take off from her palm afterwards, I suppose. but really, "taiji 101" is already "real" and "usable". I guess most MA are, though (also not talking about the going out of your way to be in danger ... hey if you want that, just come drive around my neighborhood of shit drivers)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:10 pm

I figured out a long time ago that 'basic relaxation" goes a long way, having no relationship to technique but together that do an excellent job
TRANSLATION: Relaxation with limited knowledge and understanding of "technoque" allows one to persevere along with one's current level of physical conditioning.

I look at the tenured masters of taijiquan with the best masters in the universe and they all fall to the untitled and simple one just enjoying his favourite pastime and learning skilll as best as s/he can, without adornment ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:18 am

"relax" works in all sports as well (not talking about the taijiquan disney magic level)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:15 am

Well done that your student defended herself against a flying bird, I guess?

btw, if you took up a combat sport in addition to your martial arts practice you would never need to be surprised that something actually works... It's worth thinking about.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:41 am

But surprises are so fun!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto