Origins of Taijiquan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Origins of Taijiquan

Postby twocircles13 on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:49 pm

johnwang wrote:
windwalker wrote:
Johnwang wrote:
Does this Xing Yi Liu He training looks like Taiji training?

In many aspects yes, :) good clip...

However it may not develop the same aspects that "some" taiji practices focus on...

What's the difference between a Taiji guy punches on his opponent's face than a XYLH guy punches on his opponent's face?

It’s a fun joke, but it's actually an interesting question. It would probably be better placed under a topic like, “What is taijiquan?” or “What are the fighting methods of taijiquan?” or comparing these to Liuhe Xinyiquan. However, it does tie into the “Origins of Taijiquan” a little bit.

I cannot answer about Liuhe Xinyiquan, the little I know comes through a taijiquan filter as Feng Zhiiqiang embedded principles and practices within his taijiquan system.

I can answer a little about Chen Taijiquan. It depends on where on one is and where one has gone in their training.

As one of your posts says, there were five roads that merged into what we today call the Yilu (First Road, aka the Thirteen Postures). Its training method is push hands. Its purpose is to train the student to use the body in a taiji manner and control the opponent in a taiji manner. So, if a student was on this road, he usually would not punch his opponent in the face. He would apply a push hands technique to gain control or knock him down.

Traditionally, the Second Road (Erlu) is trained today primarily with Pao Chui, but this road was a convergence of three to five older roads. We know of Pao Chui and Chen 108 Changquan, but some sources say there may have been three Pao Chui forms. What may have happened to these is for a later discussion. The Second Road used a different training method, not push hands. The Second Road also included weaponry, and its primary goal was to stop a killer before getting killed. So, it also would have been unlikely to use a punch to the face. Instead, it would have been more likely to crush the windpipe, displace the eyes, or use a sword to open the opponent’s throat.

It is far more likely today that after the First Road, a student would choose some sort of sport fighting. In this case, the rules of the sport to a large degree determine techniques used. In this case, a Taijiquan practitioner would likely train in MMA, boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, or whatever sport fighting was chosen. A punch from a taijiquan practitioner would look a lot like other fighters regardless of style, but there might be some subtle differences in how they fought.

I have made nice clean demarcations between the roads. Today’s reality is that most major teachers, including my own, draw from the Second Road for applications, although they water them down, so they are not instantaneously or obviously lethal. And, a lot of the applications shown will not work without a firm grounding in the First Road. Further, today, very few teachers know or would teach traditional Second Road methods.

Here is a clip of Sun Yang, a Muay Thai fighter in the red trunks, he started training with my teacher fairly late in his career. After he gets knocked down (0:39) and seems to be losing the fight, he begins drawing on some taijiquan First Road skills, sometimes obviously combined with his Muay Thai techniques. See if you can spot them.

Last edited by twocircles13 on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:38 am

twocircles13 wrote:Here is a clip of Sun Yang, a Muay Thai fighter in the red trunks, he started training with my teacher fairly late in his career. After he gets knocked down (0:39) and seems to be losing the fight, he begins drawing on some taijiquan First Road skills, sometimes obviously combined with his Muay Thai techniques. See if you can spot them.

Nice clip...seen it before :)

Very clear application of Chen's method used.

a work shop showing the same type of movement

another clip, some do not seem to understand its a work shop :P
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:25 am

windwalker wrote:
twocircles13 wrote:Here is a clip of Sun Yang, a Muay Thai fighter in the red trunks, he started training with my teacher fairly late in his career. After he gets knocked down (0:39) and seems to be losing the fight, he begins drawing on some taijiquan First Road skills, sometimes obviously combined with his Muay Thai techniques. See if you can spot them.

Nice clip...seen it before :)

Very clear application of Chen's method used.

a work shop showing the same type of movement

another clip, some do not seem to understand its a work shop :P

Yes, I was pretty sure the clip likely had been seen and discussed ad nauseam here. It was just an example. It and the specific techniques are not the focus of my comment.

The point is that the control skills developed by the First Road in Chen style, or in other Taijiquan styles the “first” Frame, are not fighting skills in and of themselves. They are control skills, and they are internal.

To John’s point, a punch is a punch. I agree for the most part, so "How is taijiquan any different than any other martial art?", and its corollary the common critic question, “How are you going to use that in a fight?’

My explanation and example are an answer. They are not the only answer, and there are many examples. But, exploring that further would hijack this thread, so I suggest anyone who wants to talk about it in detail start a new topic.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:54 am

twocircles13 wrote:Yes, I was pretty sure the clip likely had been seen and discussed ad nauseam here. It was just an example. It and the specific techniques are not the focus of my comment.

Interesting

After he gets knocked down (0:39) and seems to be losing the fight, he begins drawing on some taijiquan First Road skills, sometimes obviously combined with his Muay Thai techniques. See if you can spot them.

Guess there was some misunderstanding, maybe :P
windwalker
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:41 pm

windwalker wrote:
twocircles13 wrote:Yes, I was pretty sure the clip likely had been seen and discussed ad nauseam here. It was just an example. It and the specific techniques are not the focus of my comment.

Interesting

After he gets knocked down (0:39) and seems to be losing the fight, he begins drawing on some taijiquan First Road skills, sometimes obviously combined with his Muay Thai techniques. See if you can spot them.

Guess there was some misunderstanding, maybe :P

I don’t know what you understood.

If you understood that control methods learned in the first phase of taijiquan training can be mixed with sport fighting to give one an advantage, then you understood correctly. If you understood that traditionally, first phase skills were later applied to otherwise mundane martial skills to give one an advantage where one’s life was on the line, you understood correctly.

I am sure that I can find clips where "first phase" skills are used with Yang or Wu styles. I can also find clips where skills other than the ones used by Sun Yang are used. So, they are an example, not the point.

If you thought the specific skills displayed by Sun Yang and how they were done were the main point, you misunderstood.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:04 pm

If you thought the specific skills displayed by Sun Yang and how they were done were the main point, you misunderstood.

;D nope

After he gets knocked down (0:39) and seems to be losing the fight, he begins drawing on some taijiquan First Road skills, sometimes obviously combined with his Muay Thai techniques. See if you can spot them

You seem not to understand what you've written....or asked about....

Thought it was funny....

as to

first phase skills were later applied to otherwise mundane martial skills to give one an advantage where one’s life was on the line, you understood correctly.

That would be debatable, the skill sets said to be "first phase" shown are really not the much different then any other skill set developed by non taiji players....

Something that JW always tries to point out.... :)

might be a good topic for another thread....people can post clips of "their"
work showing the difference if so inclined.

a little off the topic :)

"Origins of Taijiquan "
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:21 pm

I’m a fan of your teacher
If you can see any tai chi in there that you can’t see in every other Muay Thai clip out there good luck
Thé throw is pure MT and the push might or might not have Tai chi in it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:53 pm

the "scholarship" just reads like a book report, saying a "prominent historian" said this and this. then gives some basics about taijiquan.

agree with Bao it's a hoax. if you can read this report and think there is "new knowledge created", you really, really, really need to go repeat middle and high school. wtf.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby salcanzonieri on Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:43 am

Putting in my two cents, if you search the past posts here, the tong bei connection was found in Chen papers back to Chen Xin's time of when he was writing his famous Chen book. The sets that were developed incorporated tong bei into the Chen village arts at two points in their history.

In my own research, I found all of the individual postural movements in the Lao Jia set to be contained in;
- Shanxi Hua Shan Taoist Longevity Exercises (especially the TJQ version of Single Whip)
- Shaolin Rou Quan system's qigong routines (which were developed after 1644, with Ji Lonfeng's and his students visits to Shaolin)
- Sung Tai Zhu Chag Quan - which the Chen documents have mentioned many times and overlaps with Qi JiQuang's book)
- Xie Quan form with contains almost all the Chen TJQ Lao Jia form and follows the form with movements that are in the same order as the Chen form.

My article: http://bgtent.com/naturalcma/CMAarticleComparisonChart.htm

has a link to a chart that shows move by move in a table of the Chang quan, xie Quan, and Chen lao jia forms:
http://bgtent.com/naturalcma/images/comparison%20Chen%20TJQ%20vs%20Shaolin%20TZQ%20and%20XYQ.pdf

Again this was discussed years ago in this forum, but looking at the chart you can see the forms follow each other in the same order, the same 3rd section is repeated in all three forms.
As stated in past posts, a team of researches from France wrote about the Xie Quan set and it was found in a person's family ancestor's Quan Pu from his time at Shaolin.
Also the French people showed unique postures only found in Xie Quan and Chen Lao Jia and no other routines in any othe styles, only this two match up.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:50 pm

If you could talk more about lost third or fourth road sets I would find that so fascinating.

I am also not surprised at all that there is (and, that I have never heard of) special training methods for er lu. It's all far beyond me. I am still working on remembering the movements for Yi lu; I occasionally blank out and skip beast's head pose when I haven't had my coffee.

Anyways, from my perspective, XYLH is a natural match for Chen Style, moreso than any other art I have seen. However I will say, that getting proper instruction in XYLH is going to be more difficult than learning a third road of Chen style or any kind of special methods for er lu.

I can't but speculate but I have been led to believe that such things are more about winning the karma lottery than something you can choose to study up on like choosing a college program. I have heard it whispered in ancient halls that you are not even allowed to ask to learn it. I can only speculate third roads and 2nd road methods would be in that vein as well.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:58 pm

What do we think could be contained in those sets that would be so magical?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:09 pm

origami_itto wrote:What do we think could be contained in those sets that would be so magical?

the primary question.... if all those things have the same SHELL or FORM, why are they NOT considered "TAIJIQUAN".... should we call "slow karate" taijiquan? hint hint hint hint hint :-\ :P ::)
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:30 pm

everything wrote:
origami_itto wrote:What do we think could be contained in those sets that would be so magical?

the primary question.... if all those things have the same SHELL or FORM, why are they NOT considered "TAIJIQUAN".... should we call "slow karate" taijiquan? hint hint hint hint hint :-\ :P ::)

You may be on to something more than you know. Here, watch this video with the sound off first; what kind of demo does it look like?

What about this?

Ok, so now watch this one:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Qpur0G6-IYA[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Qpur0G6-IYA

Now what do you think? Interesting huh?
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:00 pm

more than you know

lol how do you know how much i know and if something is "more" :P
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:35 am

Appledog wrote:
Now what do you think? Interesting huh?

I don't understand what you're getting at. Could you speak directly? I'm afraid my eye is not as educated as yours and my mind is too slow to follow.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan