The Internal Pugilism Of Gurjot Singh

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Internal Pugilism Of Gurjot Singh

Postby origami_itto on Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:04 pm

cloudz wrote:and do carry on dragging RSF down into a one man degenerate show you've almost single handedly made it into.

Thank you for the credit. Your attitude as always is warm, welcoming, wise, and well intentioned.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:05 pm

you are so very welcome,
you do realise puff isn't real medication for what you have right ?
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:36 pm

cloudz wrote:you are so very welcome,
you do realise puff isn't real medication for what you have right ?

Please, doctor. Tell me what I have and what the medication is.

I'm hanging on your every word, for your approval is all I crave and your wisdom illuminates my path.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby RickMatz on Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:49 am

Quite some time ago, GS wrote a guest piece for my blog. Warning, it's quite long.

https://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com/2017/12/taiji-boxing.html
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:01 am

RickMatz wrote:Quite some time ago, GS wrote a guest piece for my blog. Warning, it's quite long.

https://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com/2017/12/taiji-boxing.html

I blocked him on Facebook a few years back, saw absolutely zero content worth taking in and it was impossible to avoid being overwhelmed by it.

He boxes and does some meditation, apparently. Good for him. I guess he's good at boxing. I wouldn't want to box him.

It all seems like someone who doesn't understand the source material so therefore dismisses it outright, comes up with their own system and takes the name of the thing they discarded for brand recognition.

I'm sure what he does is very potent and satisfying for some people and I wish them all the best.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:25 am

doesn't understand the source material so therefore dismisses it outright, comes up with their own system and takes the name of the thing they discarded for brand recognition.

should probably be the tagline for most "systems" of self-proclaimed taijiquan "experts"

"hey guys i figured it all out"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:33 am

everything wrote:
doesn't understand the source material so therefore dismisses it outright, comes up with their own system and takes the name of the thing they discarded for brand recognition.

should probably be the tagline for most "systems" of self-proclaimed taijiquan "experts"

"hey guys i figured it all out"

Sure, unless you're getting it from a legitimate source you're getting corrupted information.

Sometimes the information is intentionally corrupted, like in this article. He's basically copypasta'ing various other sources, sometimes multiple sources of the same material??

It's not well organized or presented and I wonder what it is he's trying to get across, but one part REALLY stood out to me.

Tai Chi Ching Ch'uan
Great Extremes Long Boxing Treatise
Chang San-feng (est. 1279–1386) as researched by Lee N. Scheele

followed by a copy/paste of Lee's translation from his website with the formatting removed so it's just a mass of text.

However, the same classic is presented as such on Lee's site.

T'AI CHI CH'UAN CHING

Attributed to Chang San-feng (est. 1279 -1386) as researched by Lee N. Scheele

So he's intentionally re-arranging the title, instead of "great extremes boxing classic" he's created "great extremes classic boxing" is it meaningful? I don't know, but then he's added another title "Great extremes long boxing treatise" which of course we all know would be "T'ai Chi Chang Ch'uan Ching"

What does it matter?

First, I don't know if Lee knows or cares that he's citing entire translations in his "articles", he hasn't put any copyright or fair use information on the site, but by presenting an inaccurate title and inaccurate translation of that title he is showing at best a lack of concern for authentic translation and at worst a willful attempt to subvert the historical record to fit his construct.

It's hard enough getting accurate and unbiased information from actual scholars, when we start re-writing their work to fit our agenda things get a bit dicey.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:09 pm

I never got the impression that he dismissed TCC outright or source material. What is the source material? He was very enthusiastic about a quan pu from the Yang Ban Hou system that I happened to pass on to him and quite public about referencing it. I'm not clear on his TCC training but IIRC Doc trained him I think, at least a bit if i'm not mistaken, how much again I don't really know. It's the kind of martial arts snobbery I never really cared for. I try to take people as I find them. I look at skill on the mats or ring. the push hands game is great, but it is a "cool warm up bro". You would get choked out in about sub 10 seconds in the real world rather than however you think your tai chi fantasy plays out. Your internal energy won't save you, neither will your middling at best stationary pushing skill. Granted it does look like you improved a bit. As much as it's painful to watch I do play them here and there. I'm nosy like that.

I see respect for tcc from G and a willingness to take it somewhere new. That's pretty bloody brave actually, the guys strong as an Ox on different levels. It's the wolves that get my attention, sheep are just well... sheep right?

But you know some people have different things they appreciate more than others and people are entitled to opinions but that doesn't mean they don't get held accountable for shitty etiquette. It's martial arts what do you even expect from the people happy to punch and throw each other around. It's not exactly sainthood is it. G was military from what I recall, he knows what discipline and hard work are, following a regimen. Maybe I'm old school, I don't know, but he just gets my respect and explaining why is... I dunno, It's like why even ? It shouldn't even be a question to show common decency and basic respect until someone oversteps..

I might say; Did you say this directly or speak with him to be so dismissive. What answers were given? You will probably get the chance anyway, with a bit of providence, pretty soon.

Full disclosure. He contacted me a out of the blue not long ago through FB about the thread in 2017 where things were said, he only recently became aware of it. he just wanted to thank me for having his back.. and then subsequently asked me to put this here on his behalf. Fair play, in terms of he should get some right of reply and maybe you can have the opportunity to back your comments with any substance you think you have.. I honestly have no idea what G has in mind.. as for his mental fortitude; I don't have to be Einstein to know I wouldn't want to face him on the mat or in the ring in his "bad books".. lol.

But that's what being keyboard warriors is all about isn't it boys. Boys amongst men is what you both are really. Carry on with your "expert" analysis.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:14 pm

I find it hilarious how precious you are about what basically amounts to words.. His communication style, his writing bothers you ? So a bit like your issue with my bells and whistles right.

I get it. you are pissed he doesn't spell it out plainly enough for you.
silly joker.

;D
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:25 am

I'm glad you have found something satisfying for you, that's the important part. Doing anything is better than nothing. Enjoy your training!
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:20 am

You two are madly in love! Each one thinking higher of themselves than the other party yet no one having the grace of just letting the other's words dissipate into silence.
Quigga

Postby origami_itto on Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:14 am

gongfu is a much more interesting discussion
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:56 am

Quigga wrote:You two are madly in love! Each one thinking higher of themselves than the other party yet no one having the grace of just letting the other's words dissipate into silence.

this is the story of RSF .... and long before that rec.martial-arts ... isn't it? every individual knows everything. everyone else seems to know nothing. obviously that cannot be true. like all drivers being above average. but we have super large egos here. ;D :-\ :P :-[ ::) 8-)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:18 am

Only information without ego would get a bit boring, haha :D In 2 cases of 10, it works 80% all of the time.

Grasp degeneracy at the bottom of the salt mine
Swallow ones pride and get diarrhea
Part the hippies wooly mane
White crane spreads the condiments on brown toast
Quigga

Postby cloudz on Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:23 am

Last edited by cloudz on Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan