How do you structure a class?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How do you structure a class?

Postby yeniseri on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:06 am

How do I structure a class?
Using Yang style as a template, here's what I do, more or less

1. A basic background on Yang style (5-10min)
Pertinent handouts are passed out as applicable where potential students can look up stuff on their own as opposed to dictating what students should 'believe'

2. Basic warmup exercises. I may even introduce baduanjin depending on how I "sense' the direction of the class (10-15min)

3. Introduction to zhanzhuang/taijizhuang! (ongoing) 30min.

4. Individual posture training. I use 8shitaijiquan as a template! I do not use it as it is allegedly described but it is a standard way to adapt to individual posture levels of getting use to them added to what is called 'form'

5. Introduction to tuishou/roushou. Short term only. Used to introduce waist/hip movement with silk reeling elements and how patterns of tuishou underlies utility
and function of hand/foot integration within the form sequence.

6. Stringing the postures together and the steps towards that goal. 30-60min

I usually use the same structure for Wu (Jianquan) style and Chen style though Chen style uses more of tuishou/roushu elements/chanssujin (silk reeling)!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:14 am

that sounds fun.

i still think it is "wrong" and almost nobody will get the "internal" gongfu, but since almost nobody will ever get it, anyway, on the "external first" way, it would be fun to take one "move" and do a little semi-cooperative application. fuck the gongfu

at the opposite extreme, maybe "health baguazhang walking" would be slightly more "fun" or "dopamine hit" than just standing. give people something to do. upper body is "holding", feet still get to learn some footwork. still hopefully get the qigong started.
Last edited by everything on Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:23 pm

yeniseri wrote:How do I structure a class?
..I usually use the same structure for Wu (Jianquan) style and Chen style..

Thank you Yensiri, those are some awesome ideas. Handouts! Yes, that's it. Awesome idea. Come to think I used to absolutely LOVE the handouts my teachers gave me. I still have some of them from many many years ago. Some of them are just lists of moves but they are special memories to me.

I like your emphasis on things like standing, single movement practice, and so forth. Seems more interesting than just doing the form 2 or 3 times then going home! I have been to classes like that.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:15 am

I feel that a lot of Tai Chi classes are quite unstructured. Maybe a teacher goes through the form, and then it's free practice, or people do whatever they want. Also, many teachers show stuff they can do, but they don't really teach it. I don't teach regular classes for the moment, however, my own classes have always relied heavily on different types of partner exercises. In my classes I have always dedicated at least 2/3 or 3/4 of the time to partner exercises, depending on how long the classes are. Here, my focus has primarily been on how to use Tai Chi basics and principles. The partner work may include tuishou drills, free tuishou, applications etc.

Overall, my classes are fun, varied and never boring. They can also be demanding as you always need to be engaged. There's no time to be lazy or do small chat. This also means that many who just want the health part leave after a few classes, while the martial arts/ self-defense oriented people tend to stay.

So a typical class:
(1) Standing and relaxation exercises -–> (2) form/drills --> (3) individual corrections --> (4) Partner work --> (5) punching and striking (only 100% internal methods, no external shit)
Last edited by Bao on Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:36 am

Bao wrote:I feel that a lot of Tai Chi classes are quite unstructured. Maybe a teacher goes through the form, and then it's free practice, or people do whatever they want. Also, many teachers show stuff they can do, but they don't really teach it.

That has never been my experience in any way. That sounds more like a meetup than a class.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:09 pm

Let me amend the question.

If you have more than 10 students, how do you structure the class?

Or, if you prefer, If you have more than 15 students, how do you structure the class?

I have not been teaching since moving to a new town just before the quarantine, and I’m going to be starting classes here.

Historically, I rarely have had more than ten students, but usually more than five. My students never brought friends, despite encouragement and even incentives. I’m not sure they even invited them. It’s like they wanted to keep taijiquan to themselves. I had a few of the curious that would try classes for a few weeks and quit. Those that continued usually stayed for years.

It would be interesting to hear how teachers of large classes structure their classes. How they promote them would be interesting too.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocircles13
Huajing

Postby everything on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:41 pm

it would be fun to start with wuji, then go one move at a time, at some level. let's say "fuck internal" is level 1. just use the "shell" in a simple application. continue. wrap back around (whatever "form"), then deepen. think this is definitely "wrong" (you may risk permanently ignoring "internal"), but it would be fun, and people could learn some "martial arts". then you can do some push hands more like nogi judo randori. more like "normal" martial arts. many of us have learned that way. i think you get a guaranteed return on your investment, but you may not learn what you really, really want.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:07 pm

Classes tend to draw individuals seeking similar objectives.
The choice depends on the purpose of the class.

For instance, if someone desires martial combat training, they might question the logic of joining a group class primarily composed of older individuals or younger individuals seeking to understand "Qi" energy.

Conversely, some might enroll to comprehend the concept of "internal" through practical application, regardless of the end goal. This involves grasping principles and ideas through hands-on examples that can't be replicated"for the most part" ;D
through alternative methods.

These classes are usually enjoyable, fostering extensive exploration and experimentation.
They enable participants to uncover and cultivate their interests effectively.

example of a friend of mine's class teaching young people
In Singapore .

@twocircles

It would be interesting to hear how teachers of large classes structure their classes. How they promote them would be interesting too.

Not a teacher ,
a practitioner...who shares the work for those interested :)

Normally its good to meet other teachers or group leaders in the area introducing ones self...more so for small areas like HSV.

https://www.meetup.com/ might be another avenue for finding or creating a group
Chinese Community organizations also a good way to get the word out...

best of luck...
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:52 pm

twocircles13 wrote:It would be interesting to hear how teachers of large classes structure their classes. How they promote them would be interesting too.

Well just some thoughts, there is so much to it.. but I really feel the classes have to be very structured and there is an element of bringing the art into immediate focus due to the fact that larger classes tend to have a direction, which is why the "public" gets involved making the class larger. They're not necessarily there for you but for a purpose. So I would for example cherrypick some qigong poses that work on hamstring and calf, and do classes on sit and reach test. "Supporting the sky and searching the sea" comes to mind. In such a class, every student who did the qigongs improved their range by at least 1 and up to 3 cm.

In my mind, you would explain how stretching (in and of itself, not necessarily "qigong" or "tai chi") can help prevent injury. You could do a bit on autogenic inhibition and show them how to modify the exercises to work around the stretch reflex and point out which particular exercises incorporated this. Then line kicking exercises. The kids love this kind of stuff. A colorful handout showing the muscle groups being activated, a short list of the exercise names, a picture of someone doing a cool jumping kick or a forward stretch, is the cherry on top. Students in larger classes love handouts and it creates a sense that everyone is doing the same thing, everyone is together. This is important, to create this dynamic in the group.

In a class like this if I taught, sets of an exercise took about 30 seconds and we would repeat them only once. This was a test of patience for them already. Then we moved to a different exercise. After 3 or 4 such sets we did a change of pace and moved to a new area to do a different activity. Props are important. One stretch is a standing stretch. Then we went to the bar and did a stretch on there. Then we went to a different area and used a different prop. Then back to the track to do yet another freestanding stretch. This kept things fresh so they were not standing in one place doing things for 10-20-30 minutes. Large groups of students hate that. I gave just 1 or 2 corrections (standard stuff like keeping your heel rooted during rising kick -- similar to the kick in yang but I believe Sun style and Chen style has this actual kick in it). That became the major focus of each class. Having everyone work on the same thing makes teaching easier and it also allows the students to easily watch each other and help each other and keeps everyone on the same page. It's not that the teacher says something and they move on and forget. Everyone is watching and trying to do it properly.

In general in a larger class the "herding" problem is handled by having a well organized series of activities. There must be a plan. The teacher must be alive, awake, and confident. There can not be a moment of weakness where the teacher is wondering what to teach next. Their attention span is kept by moving from activity to activity in a logical fashion. So there should be an overarching theme or target (such as sit and reach test). A common theme is endurance. Can they make it through 2 sets of 10 kicks for each of the six basic kicks? And a practical explanation or demo of what it is they are actually learning. Such as, "this will increase your vertical in basketball!" or an actual test such as sit and reach which demonstrates the benefit immediately and scientifically. Don't forget the props. Having a prop is always so good in a big class. Strike pads are a common prop. Kids love to hit them. And with kids everything has to be fun and tied into something they can use to get better marks in school (in this case based on their sit and reach). Next week is splits I think, so we introduce the deep lunge. Now I get to talk about bow stance ;-)

After that will be 100m race test, and so forth.

For most exercises you can have them line up. For larger classes with more space they go into 3 or even 4 lines and go in rows (4 and then the next 4 if they are in 4 lines). You cannot allow them to wander freely. Part of having a structure to the progression of activities is having a structure to where everyone has to stand at a particular time, and to keep them moving. They cannot stand in line waiting for more than 30 seconds or maybe create a new line (2 lines). If it is a small space you can use two corners and have them cross in the middle, just send one, then wait, send the other corner, they will not crash in the middle.

You also need a loud voice especially if you are outside.

For promotion, well, it's the class itself. Approach a school, approach a hospital, a care home, and offer the class to the residents. Other than that, advertise in the place where local students can see it. Library common boards, and so forth. Advertise in local area groups on facebook. Also have your class do public demos in the park. Doing lion dances and so forth and taking part in parades will also garner attention, but I don't know how to do those things, personally. I kind of want to learn it though. Because it's good at attracting the odd student here or there and it is a variety thing to do.
Last edited by Appledog on Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:41 pm

Thanks for your responses so far. I had not considered teaching children or even teenagers.

The space at which I am looking is a yoga studio available during off hours, probably 7-8 PM or later a couple of days a week. The space is sufficient, but not huge.

Please continue to let me know how you have structured your classes for large groups.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocircles13
Huajing

Postby MiaoZhen on Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:36 am

The structure of class really depends on the participants, what they're working on, if the group is all doing the same thing, etc...

My classes are relatively small, but consist of students who are long term (or who are planning to be long term). The important thing then is that the structure will vary from class to class, depending on what we're working on. Typically we all start with some warm-up (usually for me, silk-reeling exercises, repetition of walking Ba Fa 八法, etc...). Then students will work on the forms they're working on. Weapons students will do drills first with weapons (sometimes individual, sometimes paired), and then forms. Each person works individually or in small groups on their forms, and I go from group to group correcting and then working on new postures. If there's time at the end they do pushing. Usually all classes for us during the last week of the month are devoted exclusively to pushing and forms applications, qinna, etc...
Last edited by MiaoZhen on Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dr Henry Ma 馬爾博
--所以練拳術不在形式。只在神氣圓滿無虧而已。
MiaoZhen
Santi

Postby Appledog on Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:37 pm

MiaoZhen wrote:The structure of class really depends on the participants, what they're working on, if the group is all doing the same thing, etc...

My classes are relatively small, but consist of students who are long term (or who are planning to be long term). The important thing then is that the structure will vary from class to class, depending on what we're working on. Typically we all start with some warm-up (usually for me, silk-reeling exercises, repetition of walking Ba Fa 八法, etc...). Then students will work on the forms they're working on. Weapons students will do drills first with weapons (sometimes individual, sometimes paired), and then forms. Each person works individually or in small groups on their forms, and I go from group to group correcting and then working on new postures. If there's time at the end they do pushing. Usually all classes for us during the last week of the month are devoted exclusively to pushing and forms applications, qinna, etc...

That's a really good idea -- about structuring your class by date instead of just by time. I have it on good authority that one of the ancient reasons why some qigong sets are designed with x number of movements is because they are designed to be performed daily, but, in rotation. So if you have a 13 Tai Chi Qigong, for example, could be done every day, but on a monthly rotation. If you have a 12 animals version maybe it is designed to be in a yearly rotation. I don't think anything would require an annual rotation but it could be a cool experiment if you had something.. unified.. to work on.. maybe something that involved phases of motion. I wonder if a four phase (by season) activity could have a benefit. I have it on good authority that people tended to practice differently (on purpose) due to the seasons. Maybe there is something to this rhythm.

If you have a larger system I think a monthly cycle is going to be mandatory.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:55 pm

Bao wrote:...punching and striking (only 100% internal methods, no external shit)

In your opinion, what is the difference between internal punching/strikes and external?

What are the specifics of the training methods you use to practice internal striking?
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:25 am

BruceP wrote:In your opinion, what is the difference between internal punching/strikes and external?

A serious question deserves a serious answer, so I will try my best.

Well, I don't know if there is something you could call "internal striking". I wrote "internal methods", using internal methods to strike with. Not trying to argue about semantics, but I think this is an important distinction.

The main difference is to use jin instead of li, but not only common jin, now we speak about neijin, internal jin.

Generally speaking, "jin" (only "jin", not neijin) means skilled and trained use of the body. For machines, chinese don't say they use "jin", they say they use li. But if you try lift, or pull or use effort, Chinese can say "try to use more jin", meaning that you should try to use more of your body and put your structure and balance.

In the martial arts, we say that li is the use of muscles, but jin comes from the sinews. What does this mean? It means that the joints must be open up the so the limbs can stretch and have full motion. To do this, you must relax when you strike. If you tense up, you automatically use li and not jin.

Neijin relies first on the same jin, you cannot tense up, you must relax and open up the joints. But neijin requires still a deeper relaxation.

Neijin is actually the external expression of your internal practice and knowledge, the way you have learned to use your body. So the whole body needs to be very loose and open, through the whole moment of the strike and kept the same upon impact. You cannot tense up your chest and breath, your breath needs to be deep. The strength of the body must be sunk down to the legs and feet, the whole body movement and body structure needs to be supported from the legs and feet.

What are the specifics of the training methods you use to practice internal striking?

The first problem is that we are very much trained from small age to tense up. When we try to strike or "make effort" we are programmed to tense up, trying to use our muscles. So we need to practice loose, relaxed striking against surfaces to re-program the reflex to tense up. Especially the reflex to tense up the mind and breath. This takes time, and you often need a partner that can watch you, feel your strikes and remind you when you tense up.

When you hit the target, you cannot tense up, instead you need to learn how to relax even more to compensate for the impact to continue to relax. If not, you replace the jin with li. So if you strike with a closed fist against bags and similar, you also need to train on how to align the wrist naturally so that you don't hurt it.

My own system is very detailed, there are different ways to train how to:
- bring the strength from the feet,
- how to coordinate the kua,
- how to focus on and use the dantian,
- how to power up your strikes by opening and closing the lower ribs,
- use spinal movement,
- learn full use of the shoulder blades, etc.

These aspects should be coordinated together with your internal body state, to keep your internal body state intact.

You can train your full body use in many different ways or isolate certain elements. And you can also practice on how coordinate certain elements together to achieve different types of "qualities" to your punches/striking.

But again, the main krux is to actually keep relaxed when you actually strike and meet a target, both body and mind, and not tense either mind or breath. Your "Internal" body state must be maintained throughout the whole process. This is not something you learn by "thinking" or by practicing form or stances. You really ned to hit things and learn how to keep your internal body-mind state when you actually hit things.

Overall, this is a very hard topic to write about. I have tried to write articles about the subject, but I think you really need to have it shown. And to really understand, you also need to feel it from someone who can do it. Anyway, hope it makes sense.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:21 am

Bao wrote:
BruceP wrote:In your opinion, what is the difference between internal punching/strikes and external?

A serious question deserves a serious answer, so I will try my best.

Well, I don't know if there is something you could call "internal striking". I wrote "internal methods", using internal methods to strike with. Not trying to argue about semantics, but I think this is an important distinction.

The main difference is to use jin instead of li, but not only common jin, now we speak about neijin, internal jin.

Generally speaking, "jin" (only "jin", not neijin) means skilled and trained use of the body. For machines, chinese don't say they use "jin", they say they use li. But if you try lift, or pull or use effort, Chinese can say "try to use more jin", meaning that you should try to use more of your body and put your structure and balance.

In the martial arts, we say that li is the use of muscles, but jin comes from the sinews. What does this mean? It means that the joints must be open up the so the limbs can stretch and have full motion. To do this, you must relax when you strike. If you tense up, you automatically use li and not jin.

Neijin relies first on the same jin, you cannot tense up, you must relax and open up the joints. But neijin requires still a deeper relaxation.

Neijin is actually the external expression of your internal practice and knowledge, the way you have learned to use your body. So the whole body needs to be very loose and open, through the whole moment of the strike and kept the same upon impact. You cannot tense up your chest and breath, your breath needs to be deep. The strength of the body must be sunk down to the legs and feet, the whole body movement and body structure needs to be supported from the legs and feet.

The first problem is that we are very much trained from small age to tense up. When we try to strike or "make effort" we are programmed to tense up, trying to use our muscles. So we need to practice loose, relaxed striking against surfaces to re-program the reflex to tense up. Especially the reflex to tense up the mind and breath. This takes time, and you often need a partner that can watch you, feel your strikes and remind you when you tense up.

When you hit the target, you cannot tense up, instead you need to learn how to relax even more to compensate for the impact to continue to relax. If not, you replace the jin with li. So if you strike with a closed fist against bags and similar, you also need to train on how to align the wrist naturally so that you don't hurt it.

My own system is very detailed, there are different ways to train how to:
- bring the strength from the feet,
- how to coordinate the kua,
- how to focus on and use the dantian,
- how to power up your strikes by opening and closing the lower ribs,
- use spinal movement,
- learn full use of the shoulder blades, etc.

These aspects should be coordinated together with your internal body state, to keep your internal body state intact.

You can train your full body use in many different ways or isolate certain elements. And you can also practice on how coordinate certain elements together to achieve different types of "qualities" to your punches/striking.

But again, the main krux is to actually keep relaxed when you actually strike and meet a target, both body and mind, and not tense either mind or breath. Your "Internal" body state must be maintained throughout the whole process. This is not something you learn by "thinking" or by practicing form or stances. You really ned to hit things and learn how to keep your internal body-mind state when you actually hit things.

Overall, this is a very hard topic to write about. I have tried to write articles about the subject, but I think you really need to have it shown. And to really understand, you also need to feel it from someone who can do it. Anyway, hope it makes sense.

If you just look at the practical parts of what you wrote, you've just described that "external shit" very well.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan