YCF form ward off one

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

YCF form ward off one

Postby everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:59 am

please comment in whatever direction you'd like.

(Brennan translation, followed by ChatGPT :) )

第一節 攬雀尾掤法
1. CATCH THE SPARROW BY THE TAIL – WARD-OFF TECHNIQUE

「說明」由太極拳出勢起設敵人對面用左手擊我胸部我將右足就原位稍往外轉動坐實隨起左足往前踏出一步屈膝坐實後腿伸直两脚左實右虛同時將左手提起起至胸前手心向內肘尖畧埀即以我之腕貼在彼之肘腕中間用混勁往前往上掤去不可露呆板平直之像則彼之力旣為我移動彼之部位亦自不穩矣
Explanation:
From Taiji Boxing’s opening posture, if an opponent in front of me uses his left hand to strike my chest, I turn my right foot slightly outward where it is and sit full on it, then lift my left foot a step forward, and bend my knee and sit full on it while my rear leg straightens. My feet are now left full, right empty. At the same time, my left hand lifts until in front of my chest, palm inward, elbow slightly hanging, and I use my wrist to stick to his forearm, using a horizontal energy to ward off forward and upward. I must not stiffen and try to match him. The result of all this is that the opponent’s force will thus finish, and then when I move, his position will naturally destabilize.

"In the explanation, when starting from the Tai Chi stance, if the opponent is in front and strikes my chest with their left hand, I will keep my right foot in its original position, slightly turning it outward. I'll sit firmly into this posture, following by stepping forward with my left foot, bending the knee and sitting down firmly. Afterward, I'll extend the back leg straight, keeping both feet grounded, with the left foot solid and the right foot empty.

At the same time, I will lift my left hand, bringing it up to chest level, with the palm facing inward and the elbow slightly down. I will then use a mixed force to move forward and upward, pressing against their arm. It's crucial not to appear stiff or rigid in this movement, as this will not only make the opponent's force ineffective but also make their position unstable."
Last edited by everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: YCF form ward off one

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:19 am

The main difference in CMC and YCF is
In CMC the opponent is attacking from the front
In YCF he is on the right
CMC yields totally
YCF puts a little peng in the right hand
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:25 am

wayne hansen wrote:CMC yields totally
YCF puts a little peng in the right hand

i was wondering about that difference.

the directional part (where this imaginary push or strike comes from) confuses me.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:06 pm

In CMC your opponent is directly in front of you attacking your right side
In YCF your opponent is directly to your right attacking the side of your head
Thus the 45 step with your left leg
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:28 pm

All above seems good and true.

What did you enter to produce that in ChatGPT?

From my sequence of learning, the Chen style form fully illuminated the Yang forms I had learned previously and allowed me to see the options I had with the movements.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby everything on Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:32 pm

for the ChatGPT prompt, I asked it "please translate [pasted in the above characters from Brennan's site]"
everything
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:43 am

everything wrote:please comment in whatever direction you'd like.

第一節 攬雀尾掤法

「說明」由太極拳出勢起設敵人對面用左手擊我胸部我將右足就原位稍往外轉動坐實隨起左足往前踏出一步屈膝坐實後腿伸直两脚左實右虛同時將左手提起起至胸前手心向內肘尖畧埀即以我之腕貼在彼之肘腕中間用混勁往前往上掤去不可露呆板平直之像則彼之力旣為我移動彼之部位亦自不穩矣
Explanation:
From Taiji Boxing’s opening posture, if an opponent in front of me uses his left hand to strike my chest, I turn my right foot slightly outward where it is and sit full on it, then lift my left foot a step forward, and bend my knee and sit full on it while my rear leg straightens. My feet are now left full, right empty. At the same time, my left hand lifts until in front of my chest, palm inward, elbow slightly hanging, and I use my wrist to stick to his forearm, using a horizontal energy to ward off forward and upward. I must not stiffen and try to match him. The result of all this is that the opponent’s force will thus finish, and then when I move, his position will naturally destabilize.

"In the explanation, when starting from the Tai Chi stance, if the opponent is in front and strikes my chest with their left hand, I will keep my right foot in its original position, slightly turning it outward. I'll sit firmly into this posture, following by stepping forward with my left foot, bending the knee and sitting down firmly. Afterward, I'll extend the back leg straight, keeping both feet grounded, with the left foot solid and the right foot empty.

At the same time, I will lift my left hand, bringing it up to chest level, with the palm facing inward and the elbow slightly down. I will then use a mixed force to move forward and upward, pressing against their arm. It's crucial not to appear stiff or rigid in this movement, as this will not only make the opponent's force ineffective but also make their position unstable."

everything wrote:for the ChatGPT prompt, I asked it "please translate [pasted in the above characters from Brennan's site]"

For comparison, I put the same characters into Google Translate. Here is the result.

"Explanation" From the beginning of Tai Chi, I set up an enemy facing me and hit me on the chest with my left hand. I turned my right foot in place and turned it slightly outward. Then I took a step forward with my left foot and took a step forward. I bent my knees and sat firmly. My back legs were straightened. My left foot was strong and my right foot was weak at the same time. Lift your left hand to your chest, with the palm of your hand facing inwards, and the tip of your elbow. Put my wrist in the middle of his elbow and wrist, and push it upwards and upwards without revealing a rigid and straight image. Then his strength will not help me move him. The parts are also unstable.

While this one is not terrible, I predict Google will be updating their translation algorithm pretty soon.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby twocircles13 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:45 am

twocircles13 wrote:
everything wrote:please comment in whatever direction you'd like.

第一節 攬雀尾掤法

Explanation:

everything wrote:for the ChatGPT prompt, I asked it "please translate [pasted in the above characters from Brennan's site]"

For comparison, I put the same characters into Google Translate. Here is the result.

"Explanation" From the beginning of Tai Chi, I set up an enemy facing me and hit me on the chest with my left hand. I turned my right foot in place and turned it slightly outward. Then I took a step forward with my left foot and took a step forward. I bent my knees and sat firmly. My back legs were straightened. My left foot was strong and my right foot was weak at the same time. Lift your left hand to your chest, with the palm of your hand facing inwards, and the tip of your elbow. Put my wrist in the middle of his elbow and wrist, and push it upwards and upwards without revealing a rigid and straight image. Then his strength will not help me move him. The parts are also unstable.

While this one is not terrible, I predict Google will be updating their translation algorithm pretty soon.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:37 am

So, in the split second it takes somebody to punch you in the head Mr Yang wants you to shift your weight twice, do a forward step into the punch and raise your arm without using force and deflect it?

Totally, dude. :)
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:48 am

GrahamB wrote:So, in the split second it takes somebody to punch you in the head Mr Yang wants you to shift your weight twice, do a forward step into the punch and raise your arm without using force and deflect it?

Totally, dude. :)

Chen Weiming and Yang Cheng Fu wrote:[21]
問太極拳七十餘式之次序。必須如此。而亦能變動否。
In the Taiji Boxing solo set there are more than seventy postures in sequence. Must it be like this or can we change them around?
答相傳之次序如此。其相連接之處。亦極自然。故學者當謹守之。譬如一篇好文字。增一字减一字不可。雖然。文字本有無窮的變化。太極拳亦然。若將各式顚倒。其連接之處。果能自然。又何嘗不可耶。太極拳架子。本是平時練功夫之體。若用時。則又何能刻舟求劍。而必依其次序耶。若然則眞愚之至矣。
This is the traditional sequence and the way they are linked together is very natural, therefore students should follow it faithfully. Take for example a work of excellent literature. You may not add to it or subtract from it a single word. That being the case, there were no limitations to the manipulation of words during the original writing, and the same is true for Taiji Boxing. If the postures get flipped around, as long as they are still linking up naturally, that would be okay. The Taiji Boxing solo set is the everyday essential training, but when applying it, do not “expect to find your sword that fell in the river by carving a mark on the boat at the spot it fell and then looking for it according to that mark after the boat has moved on down the river”, for to insist on doing it according to the sequence would be just as monumentally stupid.

[25]
問太極拳架子如摟膝抝步。必將手往後轉一大圈。然後向前打出。如此迂緩。何能應敵。
In the Taiji Boxing solo set, for example in BRUSH PAST YOUR LEFT KNEE IN A CROSSED STANCE, you must send your hand to the rear in a large arc then strike forward. If it is done as slow as this, how can it be used to respond to an opponent?
答太極拳之各式。均係圓圈。蓋求其鬆開圓滿。全身轉動。此所以練體也。若求其用。豈能拘定形式。譬如三百六十一度之渾圓體。用時僅用一度。或半度。均無不可。而練體則不可不求其圓滿。若應敵時。亦照練體之迂緩。此眞笨伯之流矣。
Each of the Taiji Boxing postures has to do with roundness. Seeking for it to be loosened and fully rounded, turning with your whole body, is the way to practice the solo set. But if you seek to apply it, how can you restrict it to a fixed shape? For example, a circle will cover a complete three hundred sixty-one degrees in the solo set, but when you apply it, it is enough to use only one degree or even half a degree. So when practicing the solo set, you have to get it to be fully rounded, but if when you deal with an opponent, you still do it according to the slow way it is practiced in the solo set, this would be very foolish.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:31 am

Had same Q
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan