Yang Shaohou's legacy and sociological insight

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yang Shaohou's legacy and sociological insight

Postby yeniseri on Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 am

I like this fellow's perspective and attention to detail that few of us (Including myself) lack but I realize the veracity of his
words are polar opposites of what some of us were taught. He is refreshing in bringing the real day to day life of a few practitioners!
Check out his perspective and enjoy!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Re: Yang Shaohou's legacy and sociological insight

Postby origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:01 am

Interesting story. Kind of a low bar for "fact". This dude should go into business as a shrink, he's got that much detail about the root cause of Yang Shao Hou's depression figured out. Amazing work. Five stars.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:02 pm

origami_itto wrote:Interesting story. Kind of a low bar for "fact". This dude should go into business as a shrink, he's got that much detail about the root cause of Yang Shao Hou's depression figured out. Amazing work. Five stars.

I know, right! There has to be more to the true story if a man kills himself when nobody else can. Just saying! :o
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:18 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Interesting story. Kind of a low bar for "fact". This dude should go into business as a shrink, he's got that much detail about the root cause of Yang Shao Hou's depression figured out. Amazing work. Five stars.

I know, right! There has to be more to the true story if a man kills himself when nobody else can. Just saying! :o

I mean... clearly it's because his brother's students weren't training hard enough.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:36 pm

Haha! I think there was no love lost between these two brothers. Shao-hou undoubtedly saw Cheng-fu as the quintessential younger brother from hell, pampered and coddled growing up, yet incredibly large and powerful, more popular and more successful. What's not to hate about all that? ;D
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:48 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Haha! I think there was no love lost between these two brothers. Shao-hou undoubtedly saw Cheng-fu as the quintessential younger brother from hell, incredibly large and powerful, more popular and more successful. What's not to hate about all that? ;D

I imagine Shao Hou Sitting at his vanity, combing his hair, saying "Why does everybody love CHENG FU?! It's always ChengFu ChengFu ChengFu!"
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:40 pm

So many mistakes and assumptions in the first two minutes I couldn’t watch anymore
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:48 pm

Can’t watch if that’s what you guys say about it
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:33 pm

It's worth watching because he translates a newspaper article about it from the time, however, there's also a lot of speculation presented as fact from somebody who wasn't there...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Shinobi on Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:27 am

Oooh I'll listen to that later.

Liang Dehua recently referenced an 'incident' behind this that occurred months after Shaohou left Beijing but won't reveal anymore.
Shinobi
Santi

Postby Yuen-Ming on Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:49 pm

The YouTuber here is relying on one of my Facebook posts on the topic. I have posted and translated a number of original sources that draw a precise picture of the situation at the time in case somebody wants top read more. Maybe check for ‘Yang Shaohou” under my FB account.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:18 am

We don't do facebook, you should bring them here.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby YMAA Cape Cod on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:45 pm

I only made it two minutes also. He's...just wrong. When Yang, Cheng-fu (楊澄甫) was traveling and teaching in 20s - 30s, it was a period of battle between the communist party and Chiang Kai-shek (from 1928 - 49). Many teachers hid their skills, both in fighting and healing, to avoid various kinds of trouble with the communists. But Yang, Cheng-fu was a lineage holder with a responsibility to teach everything he had learned. He DID have indoor disciples who secretly learned and preserved the martial aspects of taijiquan, the most well-known of which was Dong, Yingjie (董英傑) who also learned from Lu-Chan. The arts and forms from those chaotic years are fractured and confusing, like the "Dong" style he created and our own "old" Yang form at YMAA.
Last edited by YMAA Cape Cod on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YMAA Cape Cod
Santi

Postby charles on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:01 pm

YMAA Cape Cod wrote: He DID have indoor disciples who secretly learned and preserved the martial aspects of taijiquan, the most well-known of which was Dong, Yingjie (董英傑) who also learned from Lu-Chan.

That's the first I've heard that Dong Yingjie studied with Yang Luchan. Any sources for this information?
charles
Wuji

Postby YMAA Cape Cod on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:11 pm

His grandson's video tells the story, Dong Zengchen:
Last edited by YMAA Cape Cod on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YMAA Cape Cod
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan