seasonal qigong

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

seasonal qigong

Postby everything on Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:07 pm

doing anything different with the change of seasons?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: seasonal qigong

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:47 pm

Yes. I'm practicing more Metal Element Phase exercises like Xingyiquan Metal Fist and TCC Parting the Horse's Mane, etc. It's all good! :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:25 am

What is "Change of season"?

Sincerely,
Florida

Just kidding, I know the seasons. We have two, beach full of locals season and beach full of new Yorkers season.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:13 am

In the late autumn and winter you can focus more one building up and storing energy. If you do the same in the summer, you will get too hot. so you would probably want to balance the training differently. In the summer you might also want to practice in the nature and focus on breathing exercises to strengthen the lungs and, how to express it...? fill your system with oxygen and fresh air?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dragonprawn on Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:38 pm

Same qi gong year round but our free in the park classes end.
Hey, did you ever notice how much more slippery wood floors get in the dry air of winter?
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:29 pm

how about changing to different foods for fall (or spring or whatever beach or other season is starting for you)?

seasonal foods for "qi"?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:22 pm

In one of the first copies of the tai chi magazine when it was still a number of roneoed sheets
I wrote an artical on eating for the seasons
Vol 1 either 2 or 3
The secret to eating is fasting and changing the diet in the 18 day crossover period
Using the 5 element theory
I also went to see my Chinese doctor for pulse diagnosis for fine adjustment
My chi Kung does not change no matter the season
I prefer to let the season adjust me
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:45 pm

oh very cool, I bought (and kept) exactly one issue (probably was much later in the run).

have heard to fast and change in that period, but have never tried it. Also, I don't quite understand the "late summer" season idea (here in the N. Hemisphere, I guess that's our season in certain locations), other than the "jam it" into "5 elements". sort of super pleasant transitional weather where it feels like warm but not hot summer by day, autumn by night. but it gives a different "energy".

something that "feels natural" as far as seasonal vegetables/foods here is eating squashes, root vegetables, stews, etc. my energy felt sort of lower but some simple stew seemed to be the ticket. otoh, when it's actually "crisp" fall cool weather, my energy seems to go higher.
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:18 pm

We don’t treat earth as late summer
We consider earth to be the last 18 days of each season
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:24 pm

The so-called Late Summer is the Autumn Season, when tree leaves change color, and is traditionally associated with the Earth Element Phase.

The Fall Season which follows is when the trees drop their leaves, and is associated with the Metal Element Phase.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:05 am

One way of viewing the wu xing (5 phase) is to have the earth at the center and we had a training principle that during the last 18 day transition (back to earth before transitioning to the next season) of a season you do not train heavily - train lightly - we did not obsessively follow this principle (it was brought up that GM Liu followed this perspective - never do pai da and heavy qiang and stance work during these 18 days) but we did make a training adjustment for winter and the kidneys as part of the training based on the wu xing phase.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:57 am

Doc Stier wrote:The so-called Late Summer is the Autumn Season, when tree leaves change color, and is traditionally associated with the Earth Element Phase.

The Fall Season which follows is when the trees drop their leaves, and is associated with the Metal Element Phase.

Ah super interesting, thanks for the info.

If nothing else, those of us who get “4-5” seasons can certainly “feel” a difference (without any qigong, I mean).
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:58 am

Bob wrote:One way of viewing the wu xing (5 phase) is to have the earth at the center and we had a training principle that during the last 18 day transition (back to earth before transitioning to the next season) of a season you do not train heavily - train lightly - we did not obsessively follow this principle (it was brought up that GM Liu followed this perspective - never do pai da and heavy qiang and stance work during these 18 days) but we did make a training adjustment for winter and the kidneys as part of the training based on the wu xing phase.

This also makes a lot of sense.

Personally I feel like my body has to adjust during these periods.

My mom thinks she catches a cold during them.
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am

So true! Each season has its own 'energetic' and they correspond to the FIve Elements-Wind, Water, Earth, Metal, Wood.
Even what you cook with the season(s)/elements, you allow for better 'energy' integration and 'flexibility'.

Depending on methods/system used, the whole body benefits from these novel yangsheng (life nourishing) methods
Additionally, basic concepts per method also helps other 'organs' and not only the organ assisted per the season.
As example, assisting Lung (Metal), not also tonifies the organ (Lung), we "strengthen' Kidney (Water)!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:19 am

Why do you use wind instead of metal
That’s a Hindu thing not TCM
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan