Wu Yu Hsiang's Four Character Secret Transmission

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Wu Yu Hsiang's Four Character Secret Transmission

Postby everything on Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:30 pm

quite certain I kind of slam the laptop lid too hard ... it's also a "soft" art right?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:44 pm

GrahamB wrote:
everything wrote:I’m willing to try any exercise anyone thinks will be fun/helpful.

Figure you guys would as well.

Esp since nobody can agree in writing.

“You’re all jerks” is what I agree with hahaha

If you don’t like Bruce let’s do your exercise

OK, I'll write you a detailed description of my exercises. The first is based off the "commencement" opening movement of the Tai Chi form.

I'm assuming you are sitting on a chair at a table, with your laptop open in front of you. I want you to follow the following steps EXACTLY as described:

1. Stand up. Focus on your breathing and sink your Qi to your dantien. Take 3 breaths. In and out. Nice and slow.

2. Circle your arms up and grasp the lid of your laptop firmly with both hands on the In Breath.

Still with me? Good...

Now...

3. On the OUT breath.... slam the laptop lid shut. Not too firmly, but with just enough pressure to close it.

4. Relax and smile. Feel the tension leaving your body.

Then...

5. Go outside and do some actual Tai Chi practice.

(Obviously, instructions may vary if you are on a smartphone, tablet or desktop computer, but I'm sure you can figure it out. You're a clever boy.)

Instructions unclear. Tongue stuck in laptop. Send help.
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:50 am

Giles wrote:I too will pass on that offer. Bruce is a guy who firmly communicates that his take on tai chi, his lineage, his terminology is good and correct - thumbs up to that - but also tends to communicate that any other take on tai chi which deviates from his is just wrong. Although I don't hear any concrete arguments, or see any visual material, as to why this is

That aint true at all. There are people here that have certain ideas I don't necessarily agree with, but I definitely don't think those people are wrong. There are some people here who haven't had 'full' instruction who are teaching, and it's obvious that they're making up a lot of it as they go along. That's it, Giles. Nothing more.

What visual material are you talking about?

If someone is teaching tjq one would expect that they can show their students how to develop dantien, put the 8 in the body, integrate Six Harmonies, build internal power,...you know, the basics. Does it mean they're wrong if they can't outline the exercises and drills they use to impart those internal elements?

-When asked, David couldn't explain the difference between his 'internal method' of training strikes and "external shit"

-When asked, Graham couldn't explain how Six Harmonies is applied/practiced in even one of the tai chi sequences.

-Oliver doesn't know how to develop an active dantien and has admitted as much re; "disney magic"

No argument or "concrete visual material" needed to get a sense of a person's depth of understanding with the above examples. What more do you want?

Giles wrote:After Bruce said (I summarize) that years ago he posted practice instructions that were better/clearer/more productive than other written efforts and didn't use 'language' (in a negative sense), I invited him to post this again. Because I'm curious about what makes his written instructions more transparent and useful. As someone with a language affinity (I'm also a translator) I'm always interested in how people use text/words to communicate physicality and movement. And sure, if these instructions are indeed very clear, then the content itself might be interesting. There are plenty of people on RSF with good things to share; sharing and discussing is one of the main principles that keep the site alive. His response, seemingly, was that if at least two people undertake beforehand on this site to practice a certain exercise, he will deign to provide a description of it. This is quite funny, and I'll leave it at that

You might be the guy with 'language affinity', but you sure add a lot of filler where it isn't needed.

There was no implication of "better/clearer/more productive", "more transparent and useful" of any kind. Here's what I wrote:
I've outlined a few different exercises here over the years that a only a couple of people actually took the time to try, but it was apparent for those who did that what I was talking about was immediately accessible and easy for the body to understand internally without a bunch of jargon and 'language'

How is that anything like what you claimed? It was to demonstrate that if a thing is really understood, the work one can do to explore a physical idea can be outlined and detailed in simple, plain language that doesn't require a lot of explanation of the what or the why.

"deign" ...there goes your language affinity again - assigning meaning and intent to something that's as innocent as seeking a sample size for a bit of data.

Getting at least 3 people to try it so that their insights could be compared since the work is experienced differently for almost everyone , but with a few shared bits that lets the practitioners know that the work is addressing the same basic elements of the internal process. An effective learning model that respects the individual while being faithful to the core, common principles that the work is presenting/addressing.

Hope that's clear enough for you.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:43 am

@Bruce. Ok, I'll keep it short and try to stick only to what you say ;)
If you'd like to share one such accessible and effective exercise, then please do. I don't know what I'll do with it then, but I'm interested to hear what it is, and see how you describe it. But please don't attach preconditions to your sharing.

@Graham. I don't feel ready to actually go outside and practice. It's an exciting and challenging idea but for the time being I'll stick to RSF and watching YT videos of great masters and of street fights. Maybe next year...?
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:44 am

@Bruce. Ok, I'll keep it short and try to stick only to what you say ;)
If you'd like to share one such accessible and effective exercise, then please do. I don't know what I'll do with it then, but I'm interested to hear what it is, and see how you describe it. But please don't attach preconditions to your sharing.

@Graham. I don't feel ready to actually go outside and practice. It's an exciting and challenging idea but for the time being I'll stick to RSF and watching YT videos of great masters and of street fights. Maybe next year...?
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:48 am

BruceP wrote:-When asked, David couldn't explain the difference between his 'internal method' of training strikes and "external shit"

-When asked, Graham couldn't explain how Six Harmonies is applied/practiced in even one of the tai chi sequences.

-Oliver doesn't know how to develop an active dantien and has admitted as much re; "disney magic"

No argument or "concrete visual material" needed to get a sense of a person's depth of understanding with the above examples. What more do you want?

Are you sure my comments revolve around not having developed an active dantian, or, could they have a second, deeper meaning? If that is what you got out of my writing so be it, but in any case it is no reason to be disrespectful. It's not a good look. Something to keep in mind.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:15 am

No Bruce, I'm sure people can explain those things. They just don't want to explain them.... to you... you might like to think about why that is?

@Giles. Be careful now - people often fall apart at that last step in the exercise. Take your time - maybe try it next year. There's no point rushing these things...

@Origami - at least it was only your tongue stuck in there. It could have been worse...
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:55 am

GrahamB wrote:@Origami - at least it was only your tongue stuck in there. It could have been worse...

The "edited one time" was changing it to tongue. I felt it a little more family friendly for the folks among us with tender and easily offended sensibilities. They'll just have to wonder why I'm walking funny.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:31 pm

origami_itto wrote:
GrahamB wrote:@Origami - at least it was only your tongue stuck in there. It could have been worse...

The "edited one time" was changing it to tongue. I felt it a little more family friendly for the folks among us with tender and easily offended sensibilities. They'll just have to wonder why I'm walking funny.

I'm sure Gary appreciates your efforts ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:10 pm

it's a new circle walk method
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:12 pm

Giles wrote:But please don't attach preconditions to your sharing

Isn't that you attaching preconditions to my sharing?

The exercises are my creation/innovation and any terms I might set to their being shared would be my prerogative.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:21 am

everything wrote:it's a new circle walk method

For the circle method you need at least THREE guys and they have to be REALLY good friends.

Again though, instructions kind of unclear,
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:28 am

BruceP wrote:
Giles wrote:But please don't attach preconditions to your sharing

Isn't that you attaching preconditions to my sharing?

The exercises are my creation/innovation and any terms I might set to their being shared would be my prerogative.

You can't control what you put on the internet. I mean... sure, register and copyright whatever you want. You can even make it one of them NFTs if you like.

When people see it they can copy it and redistribute it, they can learn what you're doing and teach it themselves and even call it their own system, generative AI will scrape it and work it into the distinctiveness of their matrix.

Most likely though, they're going to ignore it. Even if it's the holy grail of neigong without appealing marketing nobody's going to care.

Like even now, your pitch is "You'll see I'm right", like who cares? Who wants to give you that credit? I would really rather have zero knowledge of anything you do so you wouldn't have any grounds to claim I'm stealing your creation/innovation for my own benefit. Why would I endeavor to gas up your clout and cred?

What's the motivation for a person to engage with this vaporgong?
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:06 am

rancor is blind to levity
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:32 am

Well take a few deep breaths and kick a puppy or something and come back for the jokes. We got em wholesale.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan