Beyond Xing Yi 5 elements

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Beyond Xing Yi 5 elements

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:56 pm

The thing that makes dragon is the unity of upper and lower
The one above is quite different in upper body use
More like snake
The same stance is used in Tai bird with totally different upper body mechanics
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:35 am

wayne hansen wrote:The way I was taught is 5 types of movement
Metal top to bottom
Water bottom to top
Wood straight thru
Fire diagonal
Earth horizontal

An ax kick would be metal
A hook earth
And so it goes it dosent just handle hsing I attacks but any attack that follows those
5 modes of movement
There are no others

That is what I would refer to as a broken analogy. Saying metal is top to bottom, etc. makes sense to me, if we're talking about the same thing, but the moment you add "an ax kick would be metal," I know we are talking about something else. Not that it is a bad thing, but I wonder what analogy you are using that lets you link those two in this way? To be honest, I don't understand it.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:06 am

Appledog wrote:
Metal top to bottom
Water bottom to top
Wood straight thru
Fire diagonal
Earth horizontal

A hook earth
And so it goes it dosent just handle hsing I attacks but any attack that follows those
5 modes of movement
There are no others

That is what I would refer to as a broken analogy. Saying metal is top to bottom, etc. makes sense to me, if we're talking about the same thing, but the moment you add "an ax kick would be metal," I know we are talking about something else. Not that it is a bad thing, but I wonder what analogy you are using that lets you link those two in this way? To be honest, I don't understand it.

The directions are how I learned the utility of the elements as well. Metal is up and down, so the ax kick, being that the force part of the kick is the downward arc, is metal.

There are hints in the names too, right?
Metal - splitting - down - pi
Water - drilling - Up - tsuan
Wood - crushing - straight - beng
Fire - pounding - angles(? this one is complex, need to think on it) - pao
Earth - crossing - side to side - heng

It's similar to the swordwork patterns that everything posted in the other thread, and I learned a Da Dao form that illustrates this perfectly.

It translates well to any two-handed weapon.

And like the ax kick and the empty handed PI, metal rises and then falls with power.

Now where I WILL say the ax kick is different is that generally the rising portion is empty, whereas with proper Xingyi, the main thrust of the idea of the power/technique is down, but the rising power should still be full of intention and power.

That might be more of my Taijiquan brain though. Xingyi is just a foil for my Taiji.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:12 am

piquan has the drilling up before the downward, right? if you can drill up, you can go straight forward. drilling/turning already has inside-out and outside-in. hence piquan is the "mother". yes, i'm mini-obsessed with boiling everything down to the "mother palm" so to speak. it makes sense why Bruce Lee or Wang Xiangzhai wanted to "reduce" to "formlessness" or "void" (to reference a different 5 elements term).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:34 am

I believe the way I've heard it is that beng is the mother and pi is like the fully developed child. Beng here being straight punch and the rest being ways you can throw that in different planes.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:11 am

Most people who do metal leave out the upward drilling and go for hard power with a straight hard forward movement like wood
People asked why there was kicking was not included
That’s why I used the example of an axe kick
I could have just as easily said roundhouse kick was earth
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:17 am

As I learnt it earth is the mother of all the others
Just as it is in tcm
St 36 the earth point in the earth meridian takes everything back to square one
In tai chi it is dong zing central e
The san ti of tai chi
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:52 pm

I think it's interesting that the qualities that Li Cunyi attributes to heng are elasticity/springiness and uniting/unifying. Also, when associated with the hetu the arrangement of the five elements is interesting. Heng, crossing is the center of the spiral of yin and yang.

And some people say this is the source of the yin yang diagram.

The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:46 pm

robert wrote:I think it's interesting that the qualities that Li Cunyi attributes to heng are elasticity/springiness and uniting/unifying. Also, when associated with the hetu the arrangement of the five elements is interesting. Heng, crossing is the center of the spiral of yin and yang.

And some people say this is the source of the yin yang diagram.

That's really cool, actually.

When you consider Earth/Central Equilibrium in Taijiquan, it's that point in when Yin and Yang are balanced and neutralized and unified and from which we can apply that proverbial 4 oz of force to achieve some effect.

Adam Mizner has a video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0xIIsdWgNE

Doc posted a graphic one time too that sort of clicked for me. Tai Yin and Tai Yang with Tai Ji right in the middle, that line or ridgepole where they meet and transform into each other. That's the central earth we hold in Taijiquan, but the symbolism here with crossing is pretty cool.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:18 pm

origami_itto wrote:That's really cool, actually.

When you consider Earth/Central Equilibrium in Taijiquan, it's that point in when Yin and Yang are balanced and neutralized and unified and from which we can apply that proverbial 4 oz of force to achieve some effect.

I think it's cool. I got it from Chen Xin's book. The Chen Ancestral Temple has an emblem related to this on an outside wall. In his manual it's called Diagram of Taiji according to the Yellow River Chart. Chen Xin writes -

In fact, the chart of He-tu represents the internal organization of the energetical body, whilst the concept of energy regeneration is contained in the metaphor of reeling a silk thread from both ends around the Taiji circle.

The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:43 pm

robert wrote:Image

Does this have anything to do with combat?

wood = east
metal = west

Can it be the other way around?

wood = west
metal = east
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:43 pm

robert wrote:Image

Does this have anything to do with combat?

wood = east
metal = west

Can it be the other way around?

wood = west
metal = east
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:48 pm

It differs here in the Southern Hemisphere
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:16 am

everything wrote:piquan has the drilling up before the downward, right? if you can drill up, you can go straight forward. drilling/turning already has inside-out and outside-in. hence piquan is the "mother". yes, i'm mini-obsessed with boiling everything down to the "mother palm" so to speak. it makes sense why Bruce Lee or Wang Xiangzhai wanted to "reduce" to "formlessness" or "void" (to reference a different 5 elements term).

actually Heng is often considered as the mother, but im with the Pi on that.
all the elements has a couple of variations, but with Pi its own variations extends quite clear into the other elements and explored further in the animal shapes.

edit - i see wayne mentioned Heng already.
Last edited by Trick on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:24 am

Appledog wrote:
Metal top to bottom
Water bottom to top
Wood straight thru
Fire diagonal
Earth horizontal

A hook earth
5 modes of movement
There are no others

Dragon shape - a variation of piquan, the kick in dragon is not your conventional ax-kick , but the kick goes high and drops low with intent
Trick
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan