Tang Hao’s Analysis Of Wang Zongyue

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Tang Hao’s Analysis Of Wang Zongyue

Postby twocircles13 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:43 am

I was on his website today and noticed that Paul Brennan recently posted his translation of An Analysis Of Wang Zongyue’s Taiji Boxing Classics And Conceal & Reveal Spear Manual Tang Hao (1936). I think Pau’s translations are good, one of the best things about Paul’s blog is that he posts the original Chinese text. If you have questions about his translations, explore for yourself. If you are not fluent in Chinese, you can compare the Brennan translation to Google’s or ChatGPT’s or look up specific words using online dictionaries. This is helpful if you have texts with esoteric meanings.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2023/11/30/tang-haos-analysis-of-wang-zongyue/

You may or may not question whether Tang's analysis is biased, but it is hard to dispute his diligence in research. He had access to many primary sources and points to others. Looking at his evidence is informative.

I was enlightened as to where many of the ideas now preached as dogma originated. We should perhaps understand the shaky ground upon which our dogma is based.

Edit: The above book seems to be a follow up to the Yinfu Spear Manual translated here.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2023/09/30/yinfu-spear-manual/
Last edited by twocircles13 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Re: Tang Hao’s Analysis Of Wang Zongyue

Postby everything on Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:52 pm

Not clear what conclusions to draw.

Suppose we had “proof” so and so “started” art X.

But then so what? Where did so and so learn? Does it matter?

What if the Big Bang were “proved”? Then what?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm

I thought it was interesting, especially the inclusion of the Conceal & Reveal Spear manual attributed to Wang Zongyue. Having Wang Zongyue include his boxing treatises in the spear manual is interesting.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2023/09/30/yinfu-spear-manual/
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:51 pm

now im going off topic.
im seeing quite often here that Brennan translation articles are posted here, and i think the guy is doing a great job.
But who is Brennan, what is his martial art background ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:17 am

Isn't it hugely unsurprising that the communist Tang Hao came up with the idea of Tai Chi originated by working class peasants in the rural countryside, rather than belonging to religious groups or the intellectual elites of Beijing...? China has never had a free press - that's always worth remembering.

Isn't the name "wang Zongyue" a play on words- i.e. a coded reference to General Yue Fei?

https://thetaichinotebook.com/2020/08/1 ... represent/

Wang = King,
Zhong = Revering.
Yue = Yue Fei, either himself or his lineages/tradition (via his army).
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:54 pm

british colonialism and opium pushing in memory lead Tang Hao to write heretical little pieces.
Last edited by Trick on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby twocircles13 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:38 am

GrahamB wrote:Isn't it hugely unsurprising that the communist Tang Hao came up with the idea of Tai Chi originated by working class peasants in the rural countryside, rather than belonging to religious groups or the intellectual elites of Beijing...? China has never had a free press - that's always worth remembering.

Isn't the name "wang Zongyue" a play on words- i.e. a coded reference to General Yue Fei?

https://thetaichinotebook.com/2020/08/1 ... represent/

Wang = King,
Zhong = Revering.
Yue = Yue Fei, either himself or his lineages/tradition (via his army).

My dictionary says King Ancestor Yue or King Sect Yue. It is an interesting notion.

I have no problem with the idea that people originated martial arts. Obviously, that is the one truth nearly all of us can agree upon. The “nearly” exception being those who favor supernatural sources. The question is in what environments were people sufficiently skilled to synthesize new martial arts. I’m thinking of Bloom’s Taxonomy (Hierarchy of Learning), a village, a town, a city, a military unit, a monastery? Any of the above are possible.

My answer is that there was probably a list of factors, and when those factors were right, there was the potential for creation of a new martial art. Of course, it would be based on older ones, but perhaps, with a new innovation or two.

As for Wang Zong Yue, Yue Fei, and Zhang Sanfeng, these were attributions to folk heroes, and the writings, possibly spirit writings. That is, a person got a great idea or they wrote a brilliant treatise on whatever. Because, in the Qing dynasty especially, the culture was suspicious of the value of new things, or perhaps they were convinced in the value of old things, and martial arts, in particular, could get a writer in trouble if the political winds shifted, They attributed their writings to some ancient popular source, like Yue Fei, or Zhang Sanfeng, or, if they were bold, they said they were channeling his spirit as they wrote. It really helped that there were popular ritual theater plays portraying the martial prowess of these heroes. Spirit writing was very common and well documented.

I am very skeptical of any lineal transfer of knowledge coming from these sources.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:38 am

Yes, they were folk heroes, but also, at some point real people. As real as a communist peasant worker. In the case of Zhangsangfeng he was clearly several different real people. We talk about the spirit writing aspect, and Zhangsanfeng, in this excellent chat I had with Wudang Taoist, Simon Cox:

Well, I thought it was excellent anyway :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWQL5WmltEk

I think we (we as people) need to get away from this Confucian-inspired (or possibly Star Wars-inspired) - direct student\teacher relationship tracing all the way back - and get more into the idea of marital arts being generated out of traditions, not by individual people.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:54 am

I've never heard a good explanation why several similar taoists should have had the exact same name written with the same characters. Seems highly unlikely. I've heard people claim there were several Zhang Sanfeng, but they don't explain how or who they were.

There's only one historically recorded Zhang Sanfeng, the rest is just fiction. But I am sure the myth making around him might have made ppl confuse him with other ppl or they might have different reasons to put his birth in another time.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:25 am

When we see developments in mma, it’s to solve a problem people had.

For example BJJ locks from bottom.

Wrestlers solved by “inventing” ground and pound.

Back then (in Wang’s time), in many ways they would have a “limited data set” (no worldwide empty hand rules format, no extensive film, no feeder sports with even higher participation, etc) so the problems/solutions could be more niche, leading to a large variety of adjustments.

Presumably you might then put it into your “form”.

But you know…what question do you/they want to answer?
Last edited by everything on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:29 am

Agree with Graham on the Overly Confucian / Star Wars warped lens
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:31 am

This article might help the intellectually challenged amongst us.

https://www.okanaganvalleywudang.com/on ... ng-sanfeng
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:51 am

Enjoyed it
everything
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:58 am

GrahamB wrote:Yes, they were folk heroes, but also, at some point real people. As real as a communist peasant worker. In the case of Zhangsangfeng he was clearly several different real people. We talk about the spirit writing aspect, and Zhangsanfeng, in this excellent chat I had with Wudang Taoist, Simon Cox:

Well, I thought it was excellent anyway :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWQL5WmltEk

I think we (we as people) need to get away from this Confucian-inspired (or possibly Star Wars-inspired) - direct student\teacher relationship tracing all the way back - and get more into the idea of marital arts being generated out of traditions, not by individual people.

I also thought it was an excellent podcast.

I think it is both people and traditions. People can exist without traditions, but their culture cannot. Traditions cannot exist at all without people. While George Lucas lifted the Asian notion of master and apprentice for Star Wars, Europe preserved much of its culture and knowledge into the modern age through master-apprentice relationships within guilds.

To withstand its tumultuous history, the Chinese culture and psyche has had to be pretty good at retaining knowledge through traditions, at least until the 20th century. That’s why it's even conceivable to some that a tradition could be faithfully passed down for hundreds or even a thousand years. When you add effectiveness as a criteria, in martial arts, it either works or it doesn’t, so it is even more difficult to deviate too far from the norm. So, we can’t discount tradition too much as a factor.

The individual is also essential. Critical elements of a tradition could be lost in a generation or two. This is also why extended family and community was so important. On the other hand, talented individuals can add to a tradition through new ideas and innovation, or adapt it to a changing environment, which is also key to survival.

But, this combination is part of the reason that innovation was cloaked in a veil of tradition, even if it was a fabricated one.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby everything on Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:46 am

Plus the follow the money marketing shtick angle.

The “truth” is clouded by all of that “hype”.
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan