Curious about height and names in tcc

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Curious about height and names in tcc

Postby everything on Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:10 pm

That’s why it’s for art, fun, sport, recreation, intellectual interest, something to do, a way to be social (mental health as def defense), physical health. If it’s for self defense, one has failed many ways over. But hopefully you emerge unscathed Of course. For the art part, the “engine” seems uniquely interesting. The “transmission” not so much. There is plenty of good “external” stuff. Heck, there are sports.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:13 pm

I've trained with people whose jobs have put them into all kinds of shit, who have applied what they've trained to keep themselves safe. Health care workers, community living advocates, bouncers, security personnel,...

But now, tjq is no longer a fighting art because if one ever has to defend themselves, they've already failed by not avoiding the situation, so tjq shouldn't be trained as a fighting art...because someone might have a knife...or a shovel...or a hammer...or some knitting needles...or a belt...or a chair...

Am I understanding that correctly?
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:52 pm

BruceP wrote:I've trained with people whose jobs have put them into all kinds of shit, who have applied what they've trained to keep themselves safe. Health care workers, community living advocates, bouncers, security personnel,...

But now, tjq is no longer a fighting art because if one ever has to defend themselves, they've already failed by not avoiding the situation, so tjq shouldn't be trained as a fighting art...because someone might have a knife...or a shovel...or a hammer...or some knitting needles...or a belt...or a chair...

I don't think anyone said that. I certainly didn't mean to say or imply it.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:14 pm

everything wrote:That’s why it’s for art, fun, sport, recreation, intellectual interest, something to do, a way to be social (mental health as def defense), physical health. If it’s for self defense, one has failed many ways over. But hopefully you emerge unscathed Of course. For the art part, the “engine” seems uniquely interesting. The “transmission” not so much. There is plenty of good “external” stuff. Heck, there are sports.

BruceP wrote:I've trained with people whose jobs have put them into all kinds of shit, who have applied what they've trained to keep themselves safe. Health care workers, community living advocates, bouncers, security personnel,...

Times change... and sometimes they change back. If the way in which you changed the art to accommodate to the times is to gut it, a good question is whether or not you will be able to put humpty dumpty back together again when the situation calls for it.

Another question is whether or not it is to you to do so. A large amount of that is how much you care and how much you are willing to do.

For example? Healthcare workers don't train 7 hours a day. So for them it has become a curio. An "engine" without a "transmission".
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:22 pm

Tai chi as combat is the reason and the measure
If you are not exploring it’s combat reasoning then why do tai chi
Chi gung or the art of tea will take you there
Combat tai chi is a Zen Koan a rubic cube
Just because you have not seen someone use it in the ring or on YouTube does not mean others have not Seen it used
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:34 pm

has nothing to do with tjq, bjj, judo, karate, whatever. "emergency prep" is a great idea. "fighting" is a bad idea.

this is independent of lamentation of some kind of "art" going away. if we visit North Sentinel Island, they won't have any qualms about killing us with arrows and spears. "martial art" and "fighting" will never go away. if "tjq" is "martial art" or "fighting", there is simply no need to worry about anything. if "tjq" is "special", well.... there still isn't really any need to worry. futbol doesn't go away when there is no Messi for a little while. even if there never is another one. music doesn't go away even if there is never another Mozart. tjq won't go away even if there is never another YLC. if you want to save an "art", there is no need to worry. if you worry when there will be a Messi or a YLC, there isn't anything you can do about it, so no need to worry.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:52 pm

Echos and might give another perspective.

For those wanting to know a little bit more, Google translate
can translate the page highlighted by the link.

The current development trend of Tai Chi movement

"has been hijacked by specific movements, where the form of Tai Chi Chuan exists in appearance only, lacking the essence of Tai Chi. The focus has shifted from performing movements in line with the principles of Tai Chi Chuan to simply executing what are termed 'Tai Chi Chuan movements.'

This has become the mainstream approach in learning Tai Chi Chuan. Furthermore, many promoters have emerged, such as numerous medical centers worldwide that have successively published research reports stating the health benefits of Tai Chi Chuan.

However, the cited Tai Chi Chuan mostly emphasizes the gentleness of its external movements. While providing positive evaluations and encouragement for Tai Chi Chuan, it once again conceals the true nature of Tai Chi Chuan.

Those unaware make more efforts to promote it, inadvertently burying the treasure of Tai Chi Chuan even deeper.".

While this may be true in some aspects, it is also true for those reaching a certain self clarity,
they will continue to seek it....
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:56 pm

Regional 'accents,' pronunciation and educational level affected naming descriptives as stated by a few of the masters of the day!
I came across a Wu style practitioner who stated as such and a few of the Tai chi magazines of the time did a comparison study of
posture names and found this to be true.
Somewhere in Tai Chi magazine (I do not remember the issue or year ??? ) there was a comparison
between posture names of Yang style in the vein of shuaijiao applications and some of this was exposed/profiled.
I personally do not believe Yang Luchan was as uneducated as many claim when compared to the examination takers of the day (for high office ::) ) but
he did have a school environment to purposely change and rename posture names from which he learned from Chenjiagou/Zhaobao (village) while
putting his own mark to differentiate a newer and recent take on Chenshitaijiquan, which as we know was not the name assigned to it at that era.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:24 pm

yeniseri wrote: but
he did have a school environment to purposely change and rename posture names from which he learned from Chenjiagou/Zhaobao (village) while
putting his own mark to differentiate a newer and recent take on Chenshitaijiquan, which as we know was not the name assigned to it at that era.

Might have some truth to it. But I often have a feeling that the general conceptions about the development of Tai Chi Chuan are too linear. For instance, remember that they all, and the Chen family especially, practiced not only "chen fist", but various styles. The different styles/forms had the same or similar names for similar movements. Names could have been mixed up or changed to separate different movements better.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan