Zhong Ding - Understanding Force

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Zhong Ding - Understanding Force

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:02 pm

Bao wrote:Everyone is different for sure. But I am not much concerned about “what” works in the sense of skills or methods. I am more concerned about how I keep the integrity of my Tai Chi shenfa against who. There’s a place where things work naturally all by itself. And the further away you go away from it, the less your Tai Chi works. That place is within you. Tai Chi is more about being than doing. The results of what you do is a consequence of how well you understand “being”.

And you find that by searching for someone else's "center"?
Don't make much sense to me. :D
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:49 pm

i don't get the joke. or is that a more serious question?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:43 pm

on some tangents...

i don't think humans fully understand what happens with things like the new synapse formation in the brain as you learn. you study/practice, go to sleep ("nourishes life's feast"), and your brain is physically changed.

something simple like catching a ball "automatically" and getting really good at it over time ... your brain is changing, and a bunch (most) of stuff is unconscious. neymar (soccer player) doesn't need much of his brain to "light up" to do complex skills.

when we talk about something even more "unusual" (mechanics stuff plus energy body), i think we can say scientists (and teachers and students) know even less of what's happening in the body and brain. a skilled practitioner can maybe tell us the "how" but can't put the "catch ball skill" "into our mind/body". i can explain in words how to do the "la croqueta" or "elastico", or maybe even in video, but you cannot "get it" until after a bunch of reps, including mostly failed attempts. and that is pretty easy "mechanical sport stuff". taijiquan/IMA is so much more difficult
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:40 am

Here is my approach to taijiquan training.

First path training:
Foundations - Form - Push hands training - These are synergistic and feed each other in development and improvement.

We are primarily talking about push hands in this thread. Push hands competition is not part of Taijiquan training. Although one may participate in push hands competitions in order learn from the energy and skills of as many people as one can, training to win push hands events is counter to taiji training.

The ideal for push hands training is lose, learn, and never lose that way again. In reality, there is usually a lot more losing before learning occurs. And, as someone said earlier, I usually need to sleep on a new lesson before I can use it well.

As I learn a push-hands lesson, I carry it into my form and foundation training, so I am engraining it into my movement. This is the Practical Method, but I don’t see why anyone who wants to improve their taiji skills can’t use it.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:49 am

everything wrote:when we talk about something even more "unusual" (mechanics stuff plus energy body), i think we can say scientists (and teachers and students) know even less of what's happening in the body and brain. a skilled practitioner can maybe tell us the "how" but can't put the "catch ball skill" "into our mind/body". i can explain in words how to do the "la croqueta" or "elastico", or maybe even in video, but you cannot "get it" until after a bunch of reps, including mostly failed attempts. and that is pretty easy "mechanical sport stuff". taijiquan/IMA is so much more difficult

In science, a law describes a natural phenomenon, and a theory describes how and why that phenomenon occurs. The more accurate we can make our theories, the more work we can get out of the natural phenomenon. Sometimes I find we talk about things one way but then do something different when it comes time to apply them.

everything wrote:i don't get the joke. or is that a more serious question?

One thing several masters of Taijiquan and other combat related disciplines sometimes echo is "When training alone, imagine you're standing before an enemy, and when standing before an enemy, imagine you are training alone"

We can slice and argue that strategy forever, but what it's pointing at in Taijiquan is the internalization of the practice so let's stick to that and not get too much into the weeds of game theory, I beg of the crowd.

Adam Mizner words it kind of differently and forgets about the imaginary enemy, "maintain conditions" which are the "cause" he says produces the "effects". He warns against chasing the "effects" without conditioning the "cause" and replacing "authentic skill" with the 'counterfeit near enemy" in order to achieve a victory.

Bao is right here:
Bao wrote: I am more concerned about how I keep the integrity of my Tai Chi shenfa against who. There’s a place where things work naturally all by itself. And the further away you go away from it, the less your Tai Chi works. That place is within you. Tai Chi is more about being than doing.

But then in describing application he talks of an active searching process of finding and connecting to the center.

That's what I find irrelevant and erroneous.

Depending on the activity, because sometimes in training I want to do it wrong so my partner can get it right, and push hands is ultimately a training activity meant to cultivate certain skills.

So with specificity, when I'm trying to unbalance someone and not be unbalanced simultaneously, I've found the most errors when I try to make them do something. When I attack, I lose. Sure, if they are a beginner, I can harass them and they no can defend, but skilled players, when I attack, use that to unbalance me.

I'm doing everything right, but I still lose.

Okay, so let's not attack, let's just avoid their attack, oh no, I run out of room to run and I'm collapsed.

But they told me to yield! I guess the path out of danger isn't running away from it.

Maybe I should try this Zhong Ding. Maybe I receive the force they are bringing and meet it with a balancing force.

It seems like, when I do that, my muscles can stay loose, but stretch a little. My shape deforms a little, don't call it a structure. A kind of pressure builds up across my whole body. When that external force lets up, I can release that pressure and maybe add a little of my own.

It seems like, when I do that, "my center" and "their center" disappear. We become "one qi". We have a common center. The tension of their attack connects us together, but since I am using Zhong Ding, I command that common center.

When I get tense, then we lose that connection and it becomes two bulls clashing, or chasing a ball, through song I join and maintain control.

twocircles13 wrote:Here is my approach to taijiquan training.

First path training:
Foundations - Form - Push hands training - These are synergistic and feed each other in development and improvement.

I can't argue one bit with that. Push hands informs form.
We are primarily talking about push hands in this thread. Push hands competition is not part of Taijiquan training. Although one may participate in push hands competitions in order learn from the energy and skills of as many people as one can, training to win push hands events is counter to taiji training.

I suppose we are, yes, but I don't do push hands competition.
The ideal for push hands training is lose, learn, and never lose that way again. In reality, there is usually a lot more losing before learning occurs.

People say this, but they invest a lot of ego in their "push game" so to speak.
I think the community helps cultivate the mindset honestly. There is so much insecurity wrapped up in these studies it's just mind blowing.

I think of it like pickup basketball, not church. Yeah it improves every part of my life, but putting it on too high of an enshrined pedestal debases us both. My sword is a weapon made for use not a museum piece to admire as it sits on a wall.
And, as someone said earlier, I usually need to sleep on a new lesson before I can use it well.

We call it percolation, or at least a form of it.

As I learn a push-hands lesson, I carry it into my form and foundation training, so I am engraining it into my movement. This is the Practical Method, but I don’t see why anyone who wants to improve their taiji skills can’t use it.

I like what I see of The Practical Method {tm} although one time I saw a video where he said "we don't stretch because you don't get time to stretch before a fight" so I'm like... okay? But neither here nor there.

Branding aside, what you describe is just the fundamental method. I mean it's the same process they lay out in the chop socky shaw bros flicks, ain't it?

You run into something in conflict, you use the theory of your art to try to figure out what happened, and you take that back to your training to ingrain whatever it is into your body.

I mean, that's the only reason I film and share video of myself getting pushed, so I and the others that are in the videos can see what we're doing right and wrong and let that inform our training.

It's also kind of fun for people to think that's the length and the breadth of my art, but I digress.

I know a lot of people really believe the only reliable source of insight and information is their teacher and for them I say I am so glad they have found that teacher and have enough access to satisfy their need for information and correction.

Some of us have to do a lot of this work for ourselves, and that is where push hands comes in. It can lie and mislead you, but stay true to the art and tend the roots and the branches will grow.

Bottom line: If you're not losing (getting pushed) you're not learning. If you're not figuring new stuff out, you're stagnating.

I need to make some talking videos I think some of you have a strange picture in your head of me.
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:18 am

origami_itto wrote:

Bao is right here:
Bao wrote: I am more concerned about how I keep the integrity of my Tai Chi shenfa against who. There’s a place where things work naturally all by itself. And the further away you go away from it, the less your Tai Chi works. That place is within you. Tai Chi is more about being than doing.

But then in describing application he talks of an active searching process of finding and connecting to the center.

Nope, you are either twisting my words or maybe you don’t have enough experience to understand what I mean. I have never used the word "searching" or described an "active searching process". You should feel and connect to his center and balance directly upon touch. No need to search or look. It doesn’t matter if you touch his arm or directly against his center, it's something instantaneous, nothing you need to search for. Some people are unsubstantial, understand how to hide it, and yet others make themselves unmovable. But those are all more experienced players who can sense that you want to connect to their center.

All knowledge in Tai Chi is based upon your knowledge of yourself, knowledge that is translated into knowledge about your opponent. If you have enough understanding about your own zhongding, you will always understand your opponent's. Even if someone manages to adjust to your movements, protecting his center from you to catch it, you will still always know where his center and balance is. In fact, it's a very basic knowledge, certainly not something you should need to search for.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:26 am

Bao wrote:
origami_itto wrote:

Bao is right here:

Nope, you are either twisting my words or maybe you don’t have enough experience to understand what I mean.

I thank you kindly for your wise correction of my misunderstanding, Sifu.

I have never used the word "searching" or described an "active searching process". You should feel and connect to his center and balance directly upon touch. No need to search or look. It doesn’t matter if you touch his arm or directly against his center, it's something instantaneous, nothing you need to search for. Some people are unsubstantial, understand how to hide it, and yet others make themselves unmovable. But those are all more experienced players who can sense that you want to connect to their center.

All knowledge in Tai Chi is based upon your knowledge of yourself, knowledge that is translated into knowledge about your opponent. If you have enough understanding about your own zhongding, you will always understand your opponent's. Even if someone manages to adjust to your movements, protecting his center from you to catch it, you will still always know where his center and balance is. In fact, it's a very basic knowledge, certainly not something you should need to search for.

Again I don't disagree in the phenomenon, I disagree with your theory, i.e. your subjective description of what is happening.

I guess maybe you're just too inexperienced to understand what I mean.

That's not a very friendly thing to say, is it?
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:34 am

Here is the TL; DR.

Their center is irrelevant, it disappears. My center is irrelevant, it disappears. We connect, we have a common center that I control.

This happens by virtue of their desire to influence me with their force. Without that force or effort, I have nothing to work with, I must inspire it or switch to a different aspect of the art, or just refuse to engage in conflict.

If you don't understand what I mean then we are discussing different arts.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:55 am

everything wrote:...and that is pretty easy "mechanical sport stuff". taijiquan/IMA is so much more difficult

Physiologically and neurologically, I don't think IMA is any more difficult. It's more difficult to articulate, and people want to equate the map to the territory, and thereby confuse themselves.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:05 am

origami_itto wrote:Again I don't disagree in the phenomenon, I disagree with your theory, i.e. your subjective description of what is happening.

Fair enough.

I guess maybe you're just too inexperienced to understand what I mean.
That's not a very friendly thing to say, is it?

It's not. Sometimes I have the feeling you just want to misunderstand or play with words. Maybe I am wrong. However, if my memory doesn’t fail me, you have not been 100% friendly 100% of the time.

But my comment was unnecessary.

origami_itto wrote:Their center is irrelevant, it disappears. My center is irrelevant, it disappears.

I don’t agree. Regardless it disappears or not, there's still always a center and it’s always relevant. But it might be more of a matter of view.

We connect, we have a common center that I control.

This is something I agree with.

This happens by virtue of their desire to influence me with their force. Without that force or effort, I have nothing to work with, I must inspire it or switch to a different aspect of the art, or just refuse to engage in conflict.

From this perspective, you could never do anything to an experienced player who doesn’t show any desire to influence you with his force.

Again, everything should happen instantly upon touch. When you connect with his center, your center rules over his. My center becomes "the common center that I control".
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:28 am

probably not assuming the same context or skill levels or types of skills. weird ph in slow mo, there is the weird floppy hide-center stuff. something like judo, most participants won't be able to do that... if you happen to have some ph skill, imo it's easier. people who try to grab your lapel but don't instantly attach to your center - you can actually grab their long lever and you have their center (and so can control). someone does bad osoto gari, which just lets you do a good one in return. with taijiquan there is that aspect, but then there is the "different quality" (as liang de hua nicely puts it). or there is the "it's not he does x and I do y" (to paraphrase adam mizner). you can think/do whatever you want, but it's not if this then that - the person with high skill "fang songs" better, and it makes zero sense that you are going for apparently no reason. it's something that is difficult to describe.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm

Bao wrote:
It's not. Sometimes I have the feeling you just want to misunderstand or play with words. Maybe I am wrong. However, if my memory doesn’t fail me, you have not been 100% friendly 100% of the time.

Hey you know, I know I can do better and I'm working on it.

But my comment was unnecessary.

Thank you, it's hard enough to talk about this stuff without getting personal, right?

From this perspective, you could never do anything to an experienced player who doesn’t show any desire to influence you with his force.

I mean... yes, that is correct when speaking about this aspect of taijiquan.
"If they don't move, I don't move. If they move, I move first."

There's a story about somebody... can't remember clearly... Cheng Man Ching and... Sun Lu Tang? No, but maybe saying that will get somebody to correct me.

It was definitely Cheng Man Ching and Sun Lu Tang, for sure.

Anyhow, in the story, the two cross hands and I think somebody put their foot on the other's chest and then the other grabbed the foot and then they both just stopped, the reason given being they both recognized any sort of offensive movement would result in the other countering and throwing them. They withdrew and called it a draw.

Outside of a game that punishes pacifism, the direction is to "be evasive, avoid conflict".

For someone who is not trained, the act of touch will provoke the force. Maybe against intermediate skill you'd have to use the other elements to provoke, counter, advance, and reverse.
Again, everything should happen instantly upon touch. When you connect with his center, your center rules over his. My center becomes "the common center that I control".

Well, it takes some doing on the inside, but sure.
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:13 pm

origami_itto wrote: Hey you know, I know I can do better and I'm working on it.

Thanks

Thank you, it's hard enough to talk about this stuff without getting personal, right?

You know, I acknowledge my flaws. Sometimes I am not sure how things will be appreciated. English is not my mother-tongue, I have had a lack of confidence. Actually the main reason I started writing on English language discussion boards was just to practice my English. But I think I am doing okay nowadays. Better at least.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:16 pm

doing on the inside ... that's the art, the difficult part, the beautiful part, the interesting part.

if we change the assumptions to xingyi, there are 1000 of you vs. another 1000, all fighting with spears. it's "you should move first", there is no "they don't move, i don't move" or "avoid conflict", then what is the "internal"? more broadly, what is the "internal" but ignore/change all assumptions of taijiquan being "follow first" or "borrow"
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:12 pm

everything wrote:doing on the inside ... that's the art, the difficult part, the beautiful part, the interesting part.

if we change the assumptions to xingyi, there are 1000 of you vs. another 1000, all fighting with spears. it's "you should move first", there is no "they don't move, i don't move" or "avoid conflict", then what is the "internal"? more broadly, what is the "internal" but ignore/change all assumptions of taijiquan being "follow first" or "borrow"

Well there is allegedly a proverb about the troops leaving second but arriving first, controlling the place of engagement, attacking the weakness, etc. The strategies scale up and down from individuals to the battle lines, but at a certain point the battle line is more about the disposition of troops in the same way the individual is about the disposition of the body.

Being a spearman on the battleline is a completely different animal than single combat with or without weapons, but the disposition of the army has a lot of similarities to one on one.

Xingyi is not taiji is not bagua is not xingyi.

Internal is not synonymous with soft or evasive.

They all allegedly lead to the same place, but the engine, strategy, and tactics are different.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan