A little bit about the Dadao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

A little bit about the Dadao

Postby Urs Krebs on Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:54 am

I wrote a short article about the last traditional weapon that was used by the National Revolutionary Army during WWII:

https://craneinthetigersshadow.wordpress.com/2024/01/09/the-military-relevance-of-the-dadao-big-saber-in-the-20th-century/
Urs Krebs
Mingjing

Re: A little bit about the Dadao

Postby Bob on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:06 pm

We would use a dadao to train with as weighted training and did more or less stationary postures with movement of course - the weighted training help our jian forms and practice - note that in the jian work we did there were other exercises and drills we did that were unweighted with the jian itself - so the dadao was only one component of the training.
Last edited by Bob on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Urs Krebs on Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:28 pm

I agree that the Dadao is a tool for weighted training or a kind of conditioning especially for the wrist. I personally use it mostly to train double hand techniques.
Urs Krebs
Mingjing

Postby twocircles13 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:22 am

Bob wrote:We would use a dadao to train with as weighted training and did more or less stationary postures with movement of course - the weighted training help our jian forms and practice - note that in the jian work we did there were other exercises and drills we did that were unweighted with the jian itself - so the dadao was only one component of the training.

That’s interesting Bob.

Did you also learn Miao Dao, aka Wodao, aka Chang Dao? An unexpected outcome of this training for me was insight into Chen taijiquan and certain categories of martial art application, in general.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby Bob on Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:08 am

Yes, Twocircles13 we did learn it but it was only 4 moving postures.

However there was a two person fight which I learned pieces of but two of my classmates learned the entire form and played it at one of the Great Lakes Tournaments - used those Japanese bamboo flexible sword (I know virtually nothing about the Japanese martial arts LOL) - It was done very fast and was fun to watch.

I also remember something like this was not passed down by GM Liu but came through Adam Hsu via Han Qingtang - trouble with learning the fight is you needed a reliable partner committed to learning & practicing it outside of class.
Last edited by Bob on Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan