It's Fascia-nating

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: It's Fascia-nating

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:16 am

wiesiek wrote:in my own qigong research/quest, I found, that 14 meridians medical qigong is most advanced in the field of >fascia training< .
You work directly witch accupoints and qi,
`cause facia is able to accumulate different energetic potentials/loads/qi etc.,
name fascia training can be quite legit.

When we talk about cultivating the Jin Lu and looking at how we spread the effort of the movement across the specific pathways through the body it seems like, and I could be way off here, but that the fascia becomes particularly organized through the practice. Along with the tendon strength/elasticity/flexibility increases it seems to be developing a stronger integration between adjoining muscle groups that is interrupted by excess tension.

Ribbons, dragon body, the whole snake thing. I dunno. How much effort is it worth trying to share these things for people to shit on?

I would really love to be able to get into some lab equipment that could examine what's really going on in the "inflation" feeling.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby robert on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:07 pm

origami_itto wrote:When we talk about cultivating the Jin Lu and looking at how we spread the effort of the movement across the specific pathways through the body it seems like, and I could be way off here, but that the fascia becomes particularly organized through the practice. Along with the tendon strength/elasticity/flexibility increases it seems to be developing a stronger integration between adjoining muscle groups that is interrupted by excess tension.

I was shown physical connection first as part of learning a basic silk reeling exercise. Chinese wrote about 經筋, jing jin, muscle/tendon meridians, 2000 yrs ago. Jing can be translated as longitude, and in the human body that would be lengthwise and that is what we have with muscle/tendon meridians, a lengthwise grouping of muscles and tendons. Once I had connection, I was shown the tai yang and tai yin meridians in the upper body.

There are 12 muscle/tendon meridians, and the 12 standard jing luo have the same name and pathways, that is they are lengthwise groupings of acupuncture points along the jingjin.

After training with my first Chen taiji teacher for a number of years and noticing my body was changing I asked if taijiquan was a type of yijin exercise and he replied yes. Yijin is muscle/tendon changing.

origami_itto wrote:How much effort is it worth trying to share these things for people to shit on?

If some people are interested in this, it is worth discussing. The idea of muscle/tendon meridians has been revived by Thomas Meyers. He has a book called Anatomy Trains, he calls them myofascial meridians.

https://www.anatomytrains.com/
Last edited by robert on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:17 pm

if my "qi" goes through my fascia or my ligaments or my tendons or my cartilage ... or my meridians ... I don't know what to say. Ok, great on the meridian, I guess. I can indirectly affect my plantar fascia (only know this due to injury) by doing things like improving mobility of certain muscles. I can possibly create better conditions for my cartilage, but it's not attached to nerves, so cannot feel it (only know this due to injury). I can feel tendinitis and ligament sprains. But t's relatively easy to tangibly work on qi and work on muscles. Hopefully eccentric work also "changes tendons". I need it "simple" to be yi, qi, jin. Too insanely difficult enough already. If I need to "tune in" to everything in insane detail, nothing will work, like a golfer overthinking every little part of the swing. If you mean it'd be nice to have more science, agree.
Last edited by everything on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:30 pm

..."What fascia??? Exactly which fascia located where in the body do you mean?...
Bao,
you`re too attached to a words,
it just a name :)

answer for your question:
everywhere
not very deep under the skin, needle can reach it
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:36 pm

Can all the Facinaistas here just describe one exercise that works directly on the Facia
My first teacher was an acupuncturist chiropractor and osteopath and I worked as his assistant doing all the massage before he saw the patients
He taught me about Facia as part of my training in anatomy
One thing he could do was make any part of his body red in isolation
We did lots of chi circulation exercises in all postures
I still teach these when doing seminars mostly when teaching massage or meditation
The 14 meridian chi gung is pretty basic and some of the exercises break tai chi principles
It is funny that people who have the worst form and application skill who push these things
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:49 am

to clear things up:
I do not work with any martial "long forms" at the present.
My MA "forms" are pretty short, like 1, 2, 3, sometimes I add 4 and 5 .
Qigong and meditation are my "long forms" :)
Of course, we can treat "long forms" as a qigong for itself, depends of style/teacher and aim.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:52 am

ps
name is not important,
in our case, counts only if is it works or not.
You know, like the oldest says :
there is something, don`t know exactly what,
so
let`s call it Dao 8-)
Last edited by wiesiek on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:04 am

aaaa,
and I would like to add, special for Wayne -
If you lookin` for dedicated exercise create it!
There is THE rule - minds direct the body, remember?

best
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:20 am

wiesiek wrote:..."What fascia??? Exactly which fascia located where in the body do you mean?...
Bao,
you`re too attached to a words,
it just a name :)

answer for your question:
everywhere
not very deep under the skin, needle can reach it

So you meant the skin, got it. Fascia covers the bones, muscles and all organs. I am not attached to words, if you just say "fascia" no one will understand you actually meant the skin. So why not just say skin instead of fascia? :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:16 am

The only important reference to fascia you normally see is this:

"Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the fibrous tissue (plantar fascia) along the bottom of your foot that connects your heel bone to your toes. Plantar fasciitis can cause intense heel pain. Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) is one of the most common causes of heel pain."
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:19 am

I used the word >under< the skin. (skin for itself has couple layers anyway)

Thx Graham for fascia definition, I using this word `cause don`t have handy another one,
btw, !st time heard this word, was couple years ago in the article about discovery of: new organ named fascia, it was already discussed on our forum.
and
ending sequence
from my own backyard:
working with "triple burner meridians are exercises, which Wayne is so hungry about,
this pops up in my mind today during the training.

We are all agree that we have acupuncture points and acupuncture is working,
so
why and how they are connected with our internal universe?
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:05 pm

I think what u are saying is lost in translation
I don’t get what u mean about me being so keen on 3 H exercise
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:35 pm

this kind of qi training is direct work with , let`s call it fascia.
3H isn`t directly connected with main internal organs,
only by this "fascia" thing ;)
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:51 pm

I don’t think u understand the 3H it’s form and function
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:55 pm

robert wrote:
origami_itto wrote:When we talk about cultivating the Jin Lu and looking at how we spread the effort of the movement across the specific pathways through the body it seems like, and I could be way off here, but that the fascia becomes particularly organized through the practice. Along with the tendon strength/elasticity/flexibility increases it seems to be developing a stronger integration between adjoining muscle groups that is interrupted by excess tension.

I was shown physical connection first as part of learning a basic silk reeling exercise. Chinese wrote about 經筋, jing jin, muscle/tendon meridians, 2000 yrs ago. Jing can be translated as longitude, and in the human body that would be lengthwise and that is what we have with muscle/tendon meridians, a lengthwise grouping of muscles and tendons. Once I had connection, I was shown the tai yang and tai yin meridians in the upper body.

There are 12 muscle/tendon meridians, and the 12 standard jing luo have the same name and pathways, that is they are lengthwise groupings of acupuncture points along the jingjin.

After training with my first Chen taiji teacher for a number of years and noticing my body was changing I asked if taijiquan was a type of yijin exercise and he replied yes. Yijin is muscle/tendon changing.

origami_itto wrote:How much effort is it worth trying to share these things for people to shit on?

If some people are interested in this, it is worth discussing. The idea of muscle/tendon meridians has been revived by Thomas Meyers. He has a book called Anatomy Trains, he calls them myofascial meridians.

https://www.anatomytrains.com/

There seems to be a lot of overlap

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan