Turn your head back

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Turn your head back

Postby origami_itto on Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:48 am

wayne hansen wrote:They are not all names for snow they are the effects of weather
Once again in the rush to prove me wrong you haven’t read what you have written

You really oughta lighten up, man.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:51 am

Here's a breakdown of the situation:

1. Context and Nuance:

Thai smiles often convey more than just happiness. They can express politeness, friendliness, amusement, embarrassment, or even discomfort.
The meaning of a smile often depends on additional factors like body language, facial expressions, and the situation.
2. Specific Terms:

While there's no single equivalent to "smile" covering all nuances, some specific terms capture different aspects:

ยิ้ม (yim): This is the closest general term for "smile," but it can be neutral or positive depending on context.
ยิ้มแย้ม (yim yaem): This conveys a friendly, open smile.
ยิ้มเจ้าเล่ห์ (yim jaoley): This suggests a mischievous or playful smile.
ยิ้มแหย่ง (yim yaeng): This implies a forced or awkward smile.
ยิ้มอาย (yim ai): This signifies a shy or embarrassed smile.
3. Cultural Understanding:

Understanding the nuances of Thai smiles is crucial for navigating social interactions and avoiding misinterpretations.
Observing body language and context cues is essential to accurately interpret the meaning behind a smile.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:31 am

We got lots of snow yesterday when a storm blew through our region

It started as pellets because the temp was just above freezing so it isn't quite like sleet but it immediately sticks to everything that hasn't yet cooled which is now ice on metal surfaces but more like rotten snow on wooden surfaces, and forms ridges and depressions that exaggerate the contours of whatever it accumulates on due to the high wind speed and random vortices caused by structures and other features that provide lee to the wind.

As the temp dropped, we got the icing sugar and stuff that looks like styrofoam beads, and then the big wet sloppy globs as it warmed again. As the temp dropped again and the clouds lost altitude, it changed to a mixture of the three, depending on the height of the cloud(s). So this morning there's a base layer of icy packed snow topped with powder and then another ice layer, topped with more powder, and in some places, packed drifts that were formed by the wind blowing snow off of roofs, conifer trees and other elevated surfaces. The drifts are capped with small, hard beads that are formed when the snow is blown across the ground for some distance.

It's dead calm this morning and the snow is really crunchy under foot due to its layers of tight and loose compaction and below-freezing temps. It's supposed to get above freezing later today, so there'll be a conglomeration of what accumulated last night that'll be perfect for what we used to call 'battle snow' when we were kids because a snowball made with that stuff isn't the crunchy, sticky, puffy break-apart snowball - snowballs made from battle snow abrades and cuts bare skin when it hits. When I was a kid in elementary school, we weren't allowed to have snowball fights during recess and lunch when the snow was like that.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:39 am

Steve James wrote:
Here's a breakdown of the situation:

1. Context and Nuance:

Thai smiles often convey more than just happiness. They can express politeness, friendliness, amusement, embarrassment, or even discomfort.
The meaning of a smile often depends on additional factors like body language, facial expressions, and the situation.
2. Specific Terms:

While there's no single equivalent to "smile" covering all nuances, some specific terms capture different aspects:

ยิ้ม (yim): This is the closest general term for "smile," but it can be neutral or positive depending on context.
ยิ้มแย้ม (yim yaem): This conveys a friendly, open smile.
ยิ้มเจ้าเล่ห์ (yim jaoley): This suggests a mischievous or playful smile.
ยิ้มแหย่ง (yim yaeng): This implies a forced or awkward smile.
ยิ้มอาย (yim ai): This signifies a shy or embarrassed smile.
3. Cultural Understanding:

Understanding the nuances of Thai smiles is crucial for navigating social interactions and avoiding misinterpretations.
Observing body language and context cues is essential to accurately interpret the meaning behind a smile.

:)

Having lived and worked in the land of Smiles, Thailand....

It helps to understand cultural differences in thought and actions...
There are different ways of saying yes for those interested

"Say 'ká' or 'kráb' – to respond to a call. It is one of the mistakes that foreigners often make.
In English, when somebody calls you, you would say “yes?”

to respond. However, in Thai language, we don't say “yes ” or ใช่ /chây/,

instead we use คะ /ká/ or ครับ / krâb/."

Wrote a news letter for Brenden Lai at one time, studying with him and his mantis group.
an excerpt / just back from the land of Thai... :)

'Yes! kung fu is a alive and well in all the parks. Early in the morning people can be seen practicing Tai Chi, N-sholin and various other styles.
The main park similar to Golden Gate Park is a park called Lumpini Park. You can ask the taxi drive to take you to Soi (street) Lumpini and most will get you to the park.
They practice until around 10am when it starts to get hot, some people can be seen practicing in the afternoons but not to many.
Only a few crazy's like me and some others.
It's very hot probably really not a good idea to train in the heat."

Not something really recommended ;D
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:03 am

That's the thing about words, all words. There's no direct connection between a word and a meaning. It will always depend on context.

Yeah, we have many descriptions of what we call snow. White snow, yellow snow, blowing snow, piled snow, frozen snow, grizzle snow, fluffy snow, but they're all "snow." It's like saying we have lots of "words" for rain. :) Of course, if I said it was snizzling outside, people might have some clue.

Oh, re social interactions, some cultures nod their head to disagree and shake it to agree. Thumbs up doesn't mean the same thing everywhere.

And, afa the monkey's smile, there's an old song with the lyric
"A smile is just a frown turned upside down.
Smiling faces, smiling faces, sometimes, they don't tell the truth.
Smiling faces, smiling faces, tell lies, and I got proof."

It is true for dogs that baring the teeth is a potential sign of aggression. In some human cultures, it's also considered inappropriate among strangers (not just a smile, but smiling a lot, the way some might think a guilty person has nervous laughter, or it's sweet, just a bit too sticky.:)
Last edited by Steve James on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:48 am

Steve James wrote:Yeah, we have many descriptions of what we call snow. White snow, yellow snow, blowing snow, piled snow, frozen snow, grizzle snow, fluffy snow, but they're all "snow." It's like saying we have lots of "words" for rain. :) Of course, if I said it was snizzling outside, people might have some clue.

I'm from the us south, so didn't see a lot of snow growing up.

It wasn't till I was supporting weather operations in Europe that someone mentioned graupel, and I realized "snow" is just one word for one type of frozen precipitation.

When the character of the falling or fallen precipitation is important to distinguish, then the specificity of terms to describe the character of the precipitation is indispensable.

The premise of the question is flawed, which is why I said it depends on what you mean.

So no, we don't have 40 words for snow, we have 40 distinctly named states and kinds of frozen precipitation, one of which is "snow".

The mentally dull may have a hard time grasping both the nuance and importance of the distinction and I expect they'll make themselves known shortly.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:00 pm

I have noticed the same with tai chi
My last word on snow comes from Frank

Don’t go where the huskies go
And do not eat the yellow snow
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:14 pm

BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:12 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I have noticed the same with tai chi
My last word on snow comes from Frank

Don’t go where the huskies go
And do not eat the yellow snow

haha i was rhinking about that tune when the tread turned to eskimo/inuit snow.
anyway about the multipple words for snow among the inuites it started with 4 went on to 30 then 50 and continued upp to some hysteric 500 words for snow, the 100th monkey got out of its mind about the snow.

Thai smile - not at all different in other cultures, and also there seem to be a ”smile” rootword just as there is in english for 'snow'...that is just that.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:23 pm

origami_itto wrote:
Steve James wrote:Yeah, we have many descriptions of what we call snow. White snow, yellow snow, blowing snow, piled snow, frozen snow, grizzle snow, fluffy snow, but they're all "snow." It's like saying we have lots of "words" for rain. :) Of course, if I said it was snizzling outside, people might have some clue.

It wasn't till I was supporting weather operations in Europe that someone mentioned graupel, and I realized "snow" is just one word for one type of frozen precipitation.

When the character of the falling or fallen precipitation is important to distinguish, then the specificity of terms to describe the character of the precipitation is indispensable.

The premise of the question is flawed, which is why I said it depends on what you mean.

So no, we don't have 40 words for snow, we have 40 distinctly named states and kinds of frozen precipitation, one of which is "snow".

The mentally dull may have a hard time grasping both the nuance and importance of the distinction and I expect they'll make themselves known shortly.

graupel is hail
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:42 pm

Trick wrote:
origami_itto wrote:

graupel is hail

No they have different characteristics. Not the least of which is size. You'll never have a car totalled by graupel.

"It often looks similar to “Dippin' Dots.” It forms when super-cooled water droplets freeze onto snow crystals. Particles of graupel don't exceed 0.2 inches in diameter. Hailstones, on the other hand, form similarly to graupel, but grow larger than 0.2 inches and have a harder texture."

https://www.kcci.com/article/des-moines ... l/43672573
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:00 am

.[/quote]
graupel is hail[/quote]

graupel. [ grou′pəl ] A small, white ice particle that falls as precipitation and breaks apart easily when it lands on a surface. Also called snow pellet soft hail.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:34 am

They're all descriptions of frozen water in different contexts. :)

Afa words, snow is not snow in some contexts. Then again, what is grass, weed, skunk, kush, tea, and mary jane?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:48 am

Steve James wrote:They're all descriptions of frozen water in different contexts. :)

Afa words, snow is not snow in some contexts. Then again, what is grass, weed, skunk, kush, tea, and mary jane?

And what about snow the noun versus snow the verb or adjective, snow the flake, snow the whole storm, snow the stuff on the ground....

Like an uppercut a hook, a jab, a cross, are all "a punch". But if the only word you have to describe them is "a punch" you might not notice what is different about them and how to do them better.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:37 am

Well, imo, yeah, they're all just a punch. A hook or upper cut or jab is a description, and there are many more. A palm is just a palm, but it can be a slap or chop. You won't know what it is until it's used. Iow, still a matter of context.

Afa noun v verb, which came first, snow or snowing? Imo, it's likely that people saw the thing, gave it a name, and whether it became a verb or not depended on whether the thing could be described as a process. There are lots of different trees, with different names, but "to tree" something describes an action.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan