Jinlou - Tendons and Meridians and Fasica (Oh My)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Jinlou - Tendons and Meridians and Fasica (Oh My)

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:26 pm

I’m pretty sure he has mentioned him. But there’s a whole underworld there. Everyone knows everyone. Dirt and all. I think it might be more beneficial if you asked my teacher about him.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:00 pm

D_Glenn wrote:I’m pretty sure he has mentioned him. But there’s a whole underworld there. Everyone knows everyone. Dirt and all. I think it might be more beneficial if you asked my teacher about him.

Why would I do that.
I know about this teacher, not interested in dirt only in skill sets .

Regards
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:22 pm

I think it’s more about the unfair way he was being exploited by others.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:58 pm

Okay I thought of an incident. When I talk about things shown at speed and in a martial context, here’s something my 79 years old Grandteacher showed me. He said try to do an ‘Opening Sweeping Strike’ (basically Parting the Horse’s Mane) on me. It took some convincing to get me to actually attack him but eventually he persuaded me to try. So as I was stepping in and attacking he dropped his hip down, it only moved down the distance of 2-3 inches, but it struck my femur like a sledgehammer. He could have broken it if he used force. But he didn’t want to do that, so he just left me with a bone bruise. Many people witnessed this, but nobody had any idea what had happened. Video of it would be completely meaningless.
That’s why I do Baguazhang. I’m not an acupuncturist so I don’t care about the slow moving stuff.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm

D_Glenn wrote:Okay I thought of an incident. When I talk about things shown at speed and in a martial context, here’s something my 79 years old Grandteacher showed me. He said try to do an ‘Opening Sweeping Strike’ (basically Parting the Horse’s Mane) on me. It took some convincing to get me to actually attack him but eventually he persuaded me to try. So as I was stepping in and attacking he dropped his hip down, it only moved down the distance of 2-3 inches, but it struck my femur like a sledgehammer. He could have broken it if he used force. But he didn’t want to do that, so he just left me with a bone bruise. Many people witnessed this, but nobody had any idea what had happened. Video of it would be completely meaningless.
That’s why I do Baguazhang. I’m not an acupuncturist so I don’t care about the slow moving stuff.

You’re very much mistaken about stuff being slow when in use. Training may be slow allowing one to feel what’s happening usage is not.

You’re mistaking about what it affects and how it affects it, this is understandable .

The skill sets we are discussing or alluding to are very different types of skill sets .

Video clips would make it clear.
Some people like writing
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:14 pm

windwalker wrote:Video clips would make it clear.
Some people like writing

Show us the clips, man!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:24 pm

The amount of cultivation he had to do in order to have that short power and a hip bone strong enough to impact that hard. Equals the ability for him to EASILY use the same cultivation to affect people through Daoyin. You have to understand that?!? I know both. You seem to only see the one product and think that it is everything, and then insult and disparage everyone who doesn’t applaud all the videos you post. Maybe I come off has harsh or mean. But your posts and manner of writing are insulting to everybody’s intelligence.
I would rather take a hundred of Graham’s ad hominem posts then 1 one of your quips. Actually looking back when you earned the nickname Windy and Windtalker, was actually better because at least you were writing something substantial.
Carry on though, carry on
Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:18 pm

everything wrote:didn't even know all those distinctions existed. more interested in it for TCM theory curiosity. if those who can "do" make some distinction in meridian type for their yi->qi-> jin skill, though, then my curiosity is more IMA-oriented. we know sprinters have "fast twitch" "li" and marathoners use "slow twitch" "li", but doubt those athletes think about it or need to know too much theory on the fibers they use to win races.

In my teacher’s book he’s written 脈筋 Maijin. There’s 12 of them and have the same name as the acupuncture meridian that is in the same area. It’s a book about a qigong where you use open palms to pat your body and follow the meridians up and down the body, so you can’t really distinguish because they’re both being affected. So there isn’t much about them in this book other than that they’re invigorated from the Patting practice. They’re somehow related to growth, which makes me wonder if they come up more in pediatric tcm. I believe in the Bodywork and Tuina my teacher focused on that they were more significant because one would be able to feel the underlying structures of them. But I think in general a person doesn’t need to know them. Knowing about their existence and that there’s deeper connections running through the body is helpful to obtain “One part moves (Dantian), every part moves”. But intimate knowledge of them is probably more useful in tcm.

Speaking about the slow twitch and fast twitch muscles, in the Zhan Zhuang we do we first try to gain somatic control over muscle pairs and being able to isolate muscle tautness. Like activating only one half of the Transverse Abdominal muscles while the other half is relaxed. Fully separating the triceps from the biceps. Quads from hamstrings and so on. We also try to only activate the slow twitch fibers and keep the fast twitch fibers relaxed. The slow twitch fibers can last longer but in the Krebs cycle there’s a molecule Acetyl-Co-A which is depleted in a muscle group around the 6 minute mark. This is why we switch sides after 5 minutes because you never want to completely exhaust it. Fast twitch run out of energy around 90 seconds, so you have a 3.5 minute window where you can increase focus because you know it can only be the slow twitch fibers doing the work. As the slow twitch fibers get stronger the fast twitch are gradually trained to no longer get recruited for the simple work of supporting your own body weight. Which means that they can be preserved for fast dynamic movements while your slow twitch are holding your structure and resisting the pull of gravity.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan