build internal connection vs. spar too early?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

build internal connection vs. spar too early?

Postby everything on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:09 pm

The quote below from Tom from the an jin thread was a great essay that helped me a great deal to think about internal connection separately from "how to".

Still, I have a training issue which I think is BTDT for most here, but I'd like to ask anyway (so putting it in BTDT). Many (most?) say not to practice "how to" until that connection is built or else it could be wasted effort. There seems to be some talking around this from others that say most of those who say that never get to the good "how to". Ok, fair enough but I want to do both. Still, I can see how sparring too early hurts the internal connection by reinforcing habits counterproductive to building those good internal connections. Yet I like it and get good other benefits so want to continue.

What is the solution so I can make the most progress (as a passionate hobbyist) to get that "good jujutsu with internal"? Is it work 80% on the internal connections, 10% on drills, and 10% on sparring, as Tom mentioned in his example, so the last bit doesn't override the first bit in my nervous system? I think yes... right? Or, don't worry too much about it? Need some help not shooting myself in the foot...

Tom wrote:
Beyond the nature and level of internal skill, the real distinction here is the emphasis on (internal) body (mind) conditioning over training specific techniques (or form sequences). My own specific breakdown: solo training 80%, partner drills/work to test the solo training 10%, sparring/rolling 10%--this is in terms of total training time. Dan and his dojo colleagues will probably vary with me--for example, in availability of training partners. But that's just to give you an idea of the importance placed on solo training and testing the internal strength skills developed with that training, rather than learning form sequences or specific tit-for-tat fighting techniques.

The other distinction is the nature of the specific solo training exercises. Dan draws from a variety of sources, including Daito-ryu basic exercises and the Japanese koryu he practices. He's found some commonality with the feel of a couple of CIMA teachers he's met, and none with others. Akuzawa (Ark) also drew from his Daito-ryu (Sagawa-ha) training and working with a Japanese koryu practitioner, as well as from xingyiquan, in putting together his Aunkai system. Based on my own limited experience, both Dan's and Ark's methods resonate with work I've done in xingyi, yiquan, and even to some extent with one particular bagua circle-walking practice. Their methods are trained with specific intent to systematically build internal connections, and then tested with partner work to check on the level of conditioning and--importantly--how it holds up under pressure, when in movement.

Sounds like good basic internal martial art training, right? It isn't that other CIMA or even JMA practitioners don't have internal training methods. It's the emphasis on basic conditioning building internal connection and skill over training form sequences and learning particular fighting techniques that really impressed me. This kind of training emphasis will carry over into a wide variety of fighting styles and techniques, and improve the practitioner's performance and effectiveness there--because of the whole body/frame conditioning. Akuzawa and his students spar and engage in sanda. Dan and his students play in a wide variety of venues--MMA, BJJ, Western wrestling, aikido, and probably others. The foundation for the fighting is the solo tanren (forging) work.

Someone was talking about Tim Cartmell. Tim is (obviously) an excellent fighter, and I personally know him to be an excellent teacher as well. There is an emphasis on usage and sparring/rolling very early on in the progression of Tim's regular students at Shenwu. They also do some basic conditioning work during the classes there as well. But the emphasis during class time is on demonstration of practical application of technique and on rolling/sparring to learn to use the techniques in a live environment. Tim believes that his students should do their conditioning for the most part on their own time--they are paying him to learn to fight. It's a sensible perspective.

On his own time, Tim trains like a demon, and has developed his own personal conditioning regimen that he continues to evolve. I don't know his specific personal exercises. What I do know and have felt is that Tim does have real internal connection and internal strength skill. He's a skinny guy of medium height who is very supple, connected and fluid in movement.

What Tim teaches in his classes, seminars, books and DVDs is basic principles of angles and leverage, how-tos of throws and other practical applications (sometimes coming out of specific solo forms like a xingyi animal or Sun bagua palm change), and some simple tactical considerations. He'll share about general physical conditioning as well. But there isn't really a specific emphasis on solo training of internal connection and testing of that connection.

It's not that Tim doesn't have those qualities himself. It's just not the emphasis in what he teaches, in large part (in my opinion only) because that is not what students really know about or clamor for. They are more interested in learning to fight, in specific applications and in plenty of sparring/rolling. That's what is demanded in workshops put on by John Wang, too. People want to learn the how-to of shuai jiao technique.

The how-to of technique is not the fuel that powered the legendary effectiveness of IMA founders. It's the internal connection and skill in using those connections.

Teaching "good jujutsu" technique is not the same teaching internal connection and internal skill. It is not a put-down to say that what someone is showing/demonstrating is "good jujutsu" or "basic jujutsu technique." It is accurate, though, to say that is all they are demonstrating "how to do"--even when the demonstrator/teacher is doing those techniques with internal skill. Because it can be difficult to discern simply by watching--whether by video clip or in person--whether the demonstrator is moving with internal skill. It's much more apparent when you're the one being thrown or demonstrated on.

Teaching solo conditioning exercises that cultivate the internal strength skill is not teaching jujutsu technique. Jujutsu technique can be used to demonstrate the level of internal skill the practitioner has--but training the technique is not the same as training the internal connection.

This is not a new debate. Wang Xiangzhai's experience in stripping down CMAs to the fundamental body/mind training he regarded as essential in developing yiquan is one example. Another example comes from the observation in Tim Cartmell's and Dan Miller's book presenting Wang Jiwu's system of "neigong" exercises--that teaching neigong and power exercises was regarded as the essence of IMA systems, and traditionally followed teaching of solo form sequences and techniques, after the teacher had a chance to evaluate the student's character and diligence.

I've often heard the complaint that a student has wasted years learning intricate forms and even techniques but still can't fight. It may be that the teacher has withheld key knowledge about internal strength training--or it may be that the teacher did not know and therefore had nothing to teach. It's certainly true that sparring and rolling provide the sort of live environment in which the MA practitioner becomes accustomed to contact and learning to move and change under pressure. It's a key piece of learning to fight. But sparring and rolling alone are not going to convert your "good jujutsu" technique to good jujutsu technique done with internal skill.

Grappling in itself is excellent conditioning and a good means to explore staying connected and changing inside your body. But--unless you're Mix and can wrestle with yourself --grappling is not the systematic training of internal connection and skill in feeling and moving with those connections that can be developed through the solo training exercises and partner work to test your connection.

Are Dan's and Ark's respective training methods the only ways to train internal connection and internal strength skill? Obviously not--they are after all drawn in part from those guys' distillations of their own training in traditional MA systems. And of course there are martial artists and fighters with real internal skills who may never have heard of Dan and Ark.
Last edited by everything on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: build internal connection vs. spar too early?

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:16 pm

You can use a spiral metaphor for training: train - test - evaluate - train etc. Sparring would be the testing phase. Evaluate the results to see where you need more training and adjust the training accordingly.

You can vary the time and effort put into each phase according to your goals and level. A beginner should do more training (working on basic principles), while someone into competition, will do much more sparring. Drills can apply into both cases, but they may be different or done differently.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I find that sparring reinforces my training which in turn improves my sparring.
One of the best things you can do at the early stages of ma practice is to learn how to deal (mentally and physically) with punches flying at your face. After you get the fear of being punched at least somewhat looked after, you can focus more on building up internal connections and then after you have some good solo skills, apply them to fighting.

I'll give an anecdote: My friend got into a lot of fights as a teenager and won many. He was really scary and could totally lay people out just based on his aggression and adrenaline. Later he stopped fighting on the street and took up Muay Thai. He trained for like 8 months and they just had him kicking and punching pads working on basic defense, and doing simple applications. No sparring was involved at all.
Anyways, I talked to him about his MT training and he basically said that based on his old method of fighting and what he had learned in MT he felt that he was like 100% better after he spent the time getting the basic kickboxing stuff into his body. I tend to agree since after I sparred with him a bit I saw that he really refined his movement and could do stuff that just would have been unaccessible to him before.

I also had the experience a few years ago sparring with the MTL crew of Teo and Alexmtl from ef. The first time I sparred with Alex was one of the earliest times that I sparred with any face contact. He beat the stuffing out of me because I didn't keep my guard up and tried unrealistic moves against him. After a couple years and lots more of getting knocked around by various people I finally started to be able to defend myself in a sparring situation. The interesting thing though was that at times (like over the winter) I would take long breaks from sparring with anyone and just train my internal. I found that taking the time away from punching and being punched helped me to really refine a lot of stuff, but that later applying it to sparring again had good outcomes (though I still get whupped by guys like Teo and Alex ;D ).
Basically if you can take something visceral and work on how you respond to that type of situation while you train solo, I think you can have a much better outcome when you come back to partner work.

End rant.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Tom wrote:My point wasn't necessarily about sparring too early in your martial arts learning.

Oh yes sorry I meant to say I was going off on a tangent. Thanks for the replies. I think spiral is gonna work out for me. Just needed to double check.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby chrislomas on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:50 am

I have to say (going off on/with the tangient) I have reduced my sparring right down. I used to spar 4/5 times a week 30mins+ and did so for more then a decade, more if I could get the partners.

But now I have started to realise that it as a 'training method' is not too useful for what I want to develop (I know this isn't a popular opinion in current MA). It tends to make one too reactive, too uncomitted and in general makes one 'play the game' too much. Nowadays I prefer (full power attacks) fixed and random step drills to get that instant reaction on the moment and only use sparring as a tool to measure my progression and test my training methodology.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:23 am

chrislomas wrote:I have to say (going off on/with the tangient) I have reduced my sparring right down. I used to spar 4/5 times a week 30mins+ and did so for more then a decade, more if I could get the partners.

But now I have started to realise that it as a 'training method' is not too useful for what I want to develop (I know this isn't a popular opinion in current MA). It tends to make one too reactive, too uncomitted and in general makes one 'play the game' too much. Nowadays I prefer (full power attacks) fixed and random step drills to get that instant reaction on the moment and only use sparring as a tool to measure my progression and test my training methodology.

You know, I had thought of this too.
My conclusion is that short "challenge" style matches would probably work.
One would have to go pretty much full on and try to knock the opponent out while they did the same to you, so you wouldn't want to fight too often, but it would be a great way to test your stuff.
I'm going to start doing that with push hands and slowly work up. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:35 am

Sparring doesn't get most people where they want to be. Following Tom's training breakdown is a good idea but I would change the 10% drills and 10% sparring to 20% push hands. Properly done, PH is the bridge between individual work and sparring. Sparring is too free form, too fast, and potentially too dangerous to try out new movement patterns. PH gives you better feedback in a less adverse environment and allows for more experimentation in movement. Sparring should come after heavy PH training.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Its all in how you do it. When I started reading MA forums I realized that what my teacher calls sparring and what most everyone else calls sparring aren't the same thing.

Most of being able to fight well is mental. You have to learn how to relax, learn how to see whats going on, learn how to set up movements, learn how to step in a free environment, learn distance, learn timing.

Doing IMA solo exercises won't really help with any of that except maybe relaxing. Two man drills and bag work helps some. However there is no substitute for free sparring.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bär on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Sometimes when I build a good internal connection I spar too early. :-[
Bär
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Bär wrote:Sometimes when I build a good internal connection I spray too early. :-[

fixed.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 am

Bär wrote:Sometimes when a girl touches my bum i jizz in my pants. :-[

really fixed it for you that time.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 pm

All of this is true. I am married so internal connections are rare.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:41 pm

well, the surprise exclusion of Tom from the debauchery posts aside :)

I a sitting in a hotel room visiting my teacher for a two day training trip... I turned up today and spent a good chunk of time by myself in the corner of his living room doing just five solo exercises.. as I left he told me train the stuff again tonight .. tomorrow there will be others present and he said 'we can see the reality of the exercises by testing on other students' .. i took the implication to be that the exercises come alive in solo training if they are also tested & pressure tested

peace and this thread should be in the main section...

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:Sparring doesn't get most people where they want to be. Following Tom's training breakdown is a good idea but I would change the 10% drills and 10% sparring to 20% push hands. Properly done, PH is the bridge between individual work and sparring. Sparring is too free form, too fast, and potentially too dangerous to try out new movement patterns. PH gives you better feedback in a less adverse environment and allows for more experimentation in movement. Sparring should come after heavy PH training.

Dave C.

dave,

i think we have a similar outlook here. push hands (as i define it) is a safe way to test your martial theories. i think a combination of "free" sparring and push hands is important.

getting to stuck in the "push hands patterns" may limit ones growth.

in my opinion push hands is a study of the point in time contact is made
i.e. i punch you you deflect/get out of the way and punch me. the moment in time where contact is made is very important.

i think sparring should happen early in ones training but it should not the a game of tag and it should include ways of using your body that conform to the movements in the forms you practice. and it should be mindful of what/who you may be training to defend yourself from.
for people who have not actually had a fight in their life sparring may not make as much sense since there is no real context of self defense.

i have had a hard time finding "cma" people who will spar or even do "free" push hands.
mma people that i meet are always willing and wanting to spar so i end up sparring with them but i do not play their game ... i find it good to spar with people who know nothing about "your" style since they will not feed you attacks in a way you are used to.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:11 pm

All the reasoning you guys are providing I find myself agreeing with, however I notice that some of you guys are still seem to be using the concept of "this before that", implying that one experiences a one-way evolution in martial training. I'm blatantly trying to push a multi-faceted approach to training here where all the pieces of the pie are used regularly. One doesn't evolve past the need to do solo work. Likewise, one never stops benefitting from having a more controlled medium than full-speed, full-contact, free-form, resistive sparring to try new ideas or to keep one's timing and sensitivity skills honed. One also never stops benefitting from the pressure testing of new functional skills as well as old stand-by's. IOW, it's all good.
Last edited by Chris McKinley on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris McKinley

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan