Machida's foot sweeps

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Machida's foot sweeps

Postby josh on Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 am

This is pretty cool (I stole it from another forum):

通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Re: Machida's foot sweeps

Postby Dmitri on Wed May 28, 2008 11:20 am

This guy's timing and control are incredible. 8-)
What a talent.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed May 28, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah, pretty cool. Hmmm... I should work on this.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed May 28, 2008 11:25 am

When I start messing with people's feet (sweep/foot hook attempts), my hands quickly get to their face, in almost 100% cases. Can't do it all the time though, 'cause then the whole game changes, as after 2 or 3 times they start paying attention... :) Although in a fight, once should be enough.

To pull that off in a real MMA match takes some serious levels of confidence and calmness though.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 am

Dmitri wrote:When I start messing with people's feet (sweep/foot hook attempts), my hands quickly get to their face, in almost 100% cases. Can't do it all the time though, 'cause then the whole game changes, as after 2 or 3 times they start paying attention... :) Although in a fight, once should be enough.

To pull that off in a real MMA match takes some serious levels of confidence and calmness though.

When I watched the Sokoudjou match on UFC wired I didn't even notice the foot sweep. That was pretty awesome.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am

Thats what im talking about. Great tech guy...it almost looks like a coincidence.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Plante on Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 pm

This is excellent, he's really stable and confident. I like that.
Like dragon, like phoenix.
Plante
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 pm

karate in mma ...
bruce
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 28, 2008 2:14 pm

bruce wrote:karate in mma ...

But everyone knows that only Muay Thai and BJJ work in MMA.
-splat-

Machida's father was a Shotokan Karate master and Machida got his black belt at 13. He has done some extensive cross training too.

>:@
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby JAB on Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I love the way he fights! Solid! That foot sweep / throw is very common in Traditional Karate. Was just exchanging notes on the similarities between that and some of the Bagua throws with a Karate cat by the name of Kris Wilder here in town. Good stuff!

Jake -drink-
JAB

Postby JuanM on Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Those foot sweeps are awesome.

Imagine how much of a better fighter he would be if he practiced Muay Thai instead of Karate.
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Wed May 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Thats pretty sweet! Cool, calm, and collected. 8-)
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Cryptohominid on Wed May 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Nice!
2nd from the top looks like good ole single palm change.
Cryptohominid
Anjing

Postby JuanM on Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Awww man, I didn't get a single bite. You guys aren't as easy as I thought.
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Lyoto Machida was born in the city of Salvador but soon moved to Belém which is his hometown. He is the third son of the Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida. Machida began training in karate at the age of four,[2] earning his black-belt at the age of 13. He began training in Sumo at 12 and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 15. He won a number of amateur karate tournaments, including 2001 Pan American Karate tournament.[3] He was also runner up in the 2000 Brazilian Sumo Championships in the 115-kg division. In addition to his Sumo and Karate achievements, he has a college degree in Physical Education. Lyoto's brother, Chinzo, is a Shotokan vice-champion (Australia 2006), losing only to #1 ranked Shotokan master Koji Ogata. Lyoto and Chinzo fought in a Karate Final 10 years ago in which Lyoto gave Chinzo a cheek scar that still exists today. His other brother, Kenzo Machida, is a TV journalist for one of Brazil's biggest TV stations.

Lyoto is well-known for using a variety of Shotokan Karate techniques in his fights. Lyoto used a Karate leg sweep on B.J. Penn in the 2nd round of their fight. He uses a back kick in many fights (they can be seen in his bouts against Sam Greco, Sam Hoger, and Stephan Bonnar). Frank Trigg once said that he got dropped twice in row by Lyoto's back kick in a sparring session they had.

In college he was introduced to Japanese pro wrestling legend Antonio Inoki who took Machida to groom as a protégé. He would continue training, taking up Muay Thai in Thailand and wrestling at the New Japan Pro Wrestling dojo in Tokyo.

Wrestling legend Antonio Inoki noticed Machida early and took him under his wing, soon given the nickname "The Second Inoki" by the Japanese media. Inoki entered Machida in several of his promotions, including New Japan Pro Wrestling's Ultimate Crush card on May 2, 2003, where he defeated journeyman Pancrase fighter Kengo Watanabe. He made several appearances at other Inoki shows, including Jungle Fight 1 in Brazil, where he defeated eventual The Ultimate Fighter 1 runner-up Stephan Bonnar on September 13, 2003, and Inoki Bom-ba-ye 2003, where he defeated eventual UFC Middleweight champion Rich Franklin on New Year's Eve.

At 3-0, he began to fight in K-1's early MMA efforts, with wins against two high-ranked K-1 kickboxers, Michael McDonald and Sam Greco. His last match with the K-1 organization, at K-1 HERO'S 1, he defeated former UFC Welterweight champion B. J. Penn in a unanimous decision. Penn, who began fighting at 155 lb, weighed considerably less than Machida.[4]. In Karate, he was Brazilian Champion twice, and 2nd in South American Championship. He also defeated American black belt Jiu-Jitsu fighter, Rafael Lovato Jr. at the L.A. Sub X [5]

After splitting with Inoki early 2006 as Inoki's management business fell apart, Machida signed with a newly revitalized World Fighting Alliance and began to compete in the United States. In his American debut, Machida defeated Vernon White via unanimous decision at the at WFA: King of the Streets event in Inglewood, California on July 22, 2006. After the WFA went out of business for the second time, the UFC acquired Machida's contract.

His first two fights in the UFC were against Sam Hoger at UFC 67 and David Heath at UFC 70, both were victories by unanimous decision.

His next fight was at UFC 76: Knockout against PRIDE veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura. He won the fight over Nakamura by unanimous decision.[6]

His most recent fight was at UFC 79: Nemesis against former PRIDE FC fighter Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, winning via arm triangle choke. His next fight was with former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 84 where he was victorious via decision.[7]

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan