Devil is in the Details

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Devil is in the Details

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 28, 2008 7:24 pm

So yea I went to class tonight and once again realized I suck. Half serious. Had one of those moments where I realized if I had practiced this one little detail that my teacher mentions in the first week of class that I wouldn't be having to fix it now. Specifically my knee is coming in when I do certain stances which is causing stress on my ankle and the weight to be centered too close to the inside of my foot. It might seem minor but It is giving me some problems now.

You guys ever have similar moments?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: Devil is in the Details

Postby qiphlow on Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 pm

only every week. i think that's part of the process for most of us. :)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 pm

I think the telling comment is "It seems minor". In reality, and I think what you are getting, nothing is minor. Particularly not in MA where repetitive action is meant as a training mechanism to make your body stronger. If an element is out of place, what you are really doing is harming your body, regardless of how minor it seems. I had a moment like that years ago, and it completely changed the way I practiced and observed my teacher. Not only did I pay more attention to what my teacher did, I started ensuring that the smallest points were cleared up before I was willing to move to the next stage or movement. My practice improved and I started to see where other people had problems, and learn from their mistakes as well. My practice at that point began to improve by leaps and bounds. Sadly, I am starting all over again at the beginning, but this time I have at least learned the lesson of how to learn.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:I think the telling comment is "It seems minor". In reality, and I think what you are getting, nothing is minor. Particularly not in MA where repetitive action is meant as a training mechanism to make your body stronger. If an element is out of place, what you are really doing is harming your body, regardless of how minor it seems. I had a moment like that years ago, and it completely changed the way I practiced and observed my teacher. Not only did I pay more attention to what my teacher did, I started ensuring that the smallest points were cleared up before I was willing to move to the next stage or movement. My practice improved and I started to see where other people had problems, and learn from their mistakes as well. My practice at that point began to improve by leaps and bounds. Sadly, I am starting all over again at the beginning, but this time I have at least learned the lesson of how to learn.

QFT

I had one stage after incorrect bagua practice (plus high extension, one legged spinning catches in freestyle frisbee) where I was was rendered quite crippled, in that I could only shuffle from one place to another in totally agonizing pain from both knees.

I had to stop doing bagua and concentrate on building up from the ground with standing and tai ji to completely nail the alignment thing. After a year I got back into bagua with a completely different attitude to practice, and took it all one step at a time. I haven't had problems with my knees now for well over fifteen years.

Another reason slow is good.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby SitYodTong on Thu May 29, 2008 9:00 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:So yea I went to class tonight and once again realized I suck. Half serious. Had one of those moments where I realized if I had practiced this one little detail that my teacher mentions in the first week of class that I wouldn't be having to fix it now. Specifically my knee is coming in when I do certain stances which is causing stress on my ankle and the weight to be centered too close to the inside of my foot. It might seem minor but It is giving me some problems now.

All the time. When you stop having them, that's when you should be concerned...since that means you probably aren't progressing any more.
SitYodTong
Santi

Postby iwalkthecircle on Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:So yea I went to class tonight and once again realized I suck. Half serious. Had one of those moments where I realized if I had practiced this one little detail that my teacher mentions in the first week of class that I wouldn't be having to fix it now. Specifically my knee is coming in when I do certain stances which is causing stress on my ankle and the weight to be centered too close to the inside of my foot. It might seem minor but It is giving me some problems now.

part of learning....

i can tell my baby 1000 times not to touch the hot stove, until one day he truly burn himself he will not understand it well.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 am

SitYodTong wrote:

All the time. When you stop having them, that's when you should be concerned...since that means you probably aren't progressing any more.

I agree but usually my insights and moments don't go back to doing something correctly I was shown in the first week :) Thats what kind of floored me about it. First week, usually the second class is when he says you should push your knees out. Specifically talking about a horse stance. Which it was the san ti stance that I was letting my knee come in too far but looking back I need to practice pushing my knees out farther in my horse stance too.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri May 30, 2008 5:39 am

alternatively you could hold to the thought that god is also in the details. :)

keep working and be safe!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 1:34 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
SitYodTong wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:First week, usually the second class is when he says you should push your knees out. Specifically talking about a horse stance. Which it was the san ti stance that I was letting my knee come in too far but looking back I need to practice pushing my knees out farther in my horse stance too.

This is Taiji class? ???

"Martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct." Can't remember who said that.

Personally, I've had problems with where to point my toes during movements (my first teacher said it didn't matter, tell it to my knees after 2 years of this line of thinking), and the specific weighting of my stances. Most recently, the direction that I pointed the hook in my single whip was corrected, for an extreme effect in my posture and practice.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sat May 31, 2008 1:47 pm

We don't have separate classes. He teaches taiji, and shaolin in the same class. The specific correction was to san ti stance which I asked him after class about. Me and 1 other student are learning xingyi stuff too and I just started after I learned the xingjing form at the seminar by Daniel Weng.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 1:54 pm

That's an interesting approach. The taiji and shaolin in my school were very segregated. The reason I asked is because this is one of the key differences that my teacher stressed. The Shaolin way would have the knees and ass stick out more, while the Taiji way would have the knees pointed inwards and the tailbone tucked.

The only SanTi I'm familiar with is from Hsing-I, sort of a an 80-20 rear-weighted in-line bow stance with navel and nose foreward, both hands palm down, lead hand extended around throat height, rear hand near the dantien. But, that's probably what you're talking about since you mention xingyi.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sat May 31, 2008 3:12 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:That's an interesting approach. The taiji and shaolin in my school were very segregated. The reason I asked is because this is one of the key differences that my teacher stressed. The Shaolin way would have the knees and ass stick out more, while the Taiji way would have the knees pointed inwards and the tailbone tucked.

The only SanTi I'm familiar with is from Hsing-I, sort of a an 80-20 rear-weighted in-line bow stance with navel and nose foreward, both hands palm down, lead hand extended around throat height, rear hand near the dantien. But, that's probably what you're talking about since you mention xingyi.

Yep it is. I am just working on the lower body right now though, just trying to get my weight and stance right. The knee thing makes a differnence in taiji too because now that I noticed it affecting one thing I am noticing the porblem has been affecting others. Namely the stepping in slanting fly and brush knee. If the back knee comes in when you shift back to turn out it puts a lot of strain on the ankle.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan