You should not lose

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: You should not lose

Postby Fubo on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:47 am

I think things like up holding the name of the lineage/teacher often plays a part in not letting the student compete... Competing is great experience whether you win or lose, and the so call honor of the lineage and teacher only get in the way of the students possiblity of a richer experience IMO. I was always told that as long as I fight my hardest and give it 100% it doesn't matter if I win or lose.

I've won and lost Judo matches and IME confidence plays a huge role in winning... The times I won I had a clear game plan, was focused, and was confident in my technique and ability. But I have to say that the times I learnt the most were when I lost, because it showed me what I really needed to work on... that is an invaluable experience many CMA teachers rob their students of because of losing face.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby chud on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:50 am

Omar (bailewen) wrote: I came back (am still coming back, transition not complete) from China with nothing.

Well you're ahead of most Americans, who have less than nothing (in debt).

Omar (bailewen) wrote:The most profound change in training was how much more freedom it gave me to just relax during my form in the morning. No more careful considerations of "structure" or "power". When your fingers are all aching like hell because your not used to gripping and twisting things all day (tenderfoot like me) then all you want from the form is to just be free of discomfort.

Sounds sorta like Zhan Zhuang, where you adjust until you get your strucure such that you're free of discomfort.
chud
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Well I'll be bringing back a wife next spring. I think that counts as "something". :)
)
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby neimen on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:19 am

johnwang wrote: "You can be silent all your life but the moment that you open your mouth, you should scare the hell out of everybody."

;D ;D ;D
neimen

Postby internalenthusiast on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:53 pm

neimen wrote:
johnwang wrote: "You can be silent all your life but the moment that you open your mouth, you should scare the hell out of everybody."

;D ;D ;D

there are a number of threads/posts with john wang's mark on them, even since he left...

maybe he'll return some day...

hope so...
Last edited by internalenthusiast on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby neimen on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:18 am

john wang split?

sorry--first time i've been on the board in a while.
neimen

Postby Wuyizidi on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 pm

johnwang wrote:..
不鳴則己一鳴驚人

You can be silent all your life but the moment that you open your mouth, you should scare the hell out of everybody.

This is a famous story recorded by philosopher Han Fei Zi: King Zhuan of Chu has ascended the throne for three years. In that period he issued no orders, proposed no new policies. His right prime minister asked the king in private "in the southern mountains, there is a bird that, for three years, neither flys nor cries. Why is that?" The king replied "when it does fly, it will pierce the heavens; when it does cry, the sound will startle everyone (the world)."

King Zhuan of Chu was famous for his wise and just administration. He became king at a very young age, during time of turmoil. For first three years he pretended not to be interested in governing at all. All the while laying the necessary foundations. Once he was ready, he moved boldly and achieved great results, eventually making Chu one of the 5 great kingdoms of Zhou Dynasty.

驚 (jing): here does not really mean scare, it means startle, surprise, shock, stun. When Ali became heavyweight champion, he cried out "I shook up the world!". People may be shocked and awed, but they are not personally afraid, scared.

So the phrase really meant: in ordinary times one stay quiet, but once the opportunity arrives, do something so amazing it would surprise and shock everyone.

Here's a perfect example:

Wuyizidi
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan