You should not lose

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: You should not lose

Postby johnwang on Thu May 29, 2008 11:39 am

Even when you go to Las Vagas, the most 3 important elements that you should have are:

- Money management.
- Card counting + basic strategy.
- Winner attitude.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu May 29, 2008 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bluesky on Thu May 29, 2008 12:04 pm

but the question is, are you entering a contest with a winner attitude or a contest that you are sure to win.

If you are not entering a contest which your opponent are just as strong as you, then you are not really pushing yourself. The axiom which you have outline

凡有比賽,一定要有充分准備,要有必勝把握,“不勝不摔”,不然就不摔,那怕甘拜下風都行。

is a double edge sword.

Japanese has a saying, "My enemy's courage is my honor." The tougher the opponent is, the greater the achievement is.

so, do we stay quiet because we don't feel confident at beating the opponent, or do we stay quiet because we have nothing to prove.
bluesky
Santi

Postby johnwang on Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Sometime the fear of losing will give you a lot of motivation to prepare for your tournament. If you have faith in your training and you are sure that nobody compete in that tournament will have as tough training as you have then you can build up your confidence. If you believe that "you are the strongest person in that tournament" such as "Your arms may be twice as big as mine but I still think that I can beat you in arm wrestling" then your chance of winning will be high. It's not easy to build up that kind of confidence.

This the exciting part of the tournament, you either win or lose and there is nothing in between.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu May 29, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby JuanM on Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

It is interesting. Yesterday on TUF (the ultimate fighter show) two guys squared off in the ring. They happened to be two of the best strikers in the house. One of them seemed very sure of himself while the other guy almost looked like he had given the guy the fight already. He kept saying that he will try his best and hoped he would not fold. Well, this same guy (the one who did not seem too sure of himself) ended up winning the match by triangle choke. He stood up with his opponent and fought his fight and won although he did not seem like he was very sure of himself going into the match.
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Thu May 29, 2008 4:11 pm

This the exciting part of the tournament, you either win or lose and there is nothing in between.

"It's easy to do anything in victory. It's in defeat that a man reveals himself." - Floyd Patterson
Floyd Patterson was known to be almost clinically affraid before every of his fights, quite often spending the nights before the fight almost sleepless because of the fear.
Cus DAmato - his trainer - had an opinion that admtting and understanding your fears is cruicial for a fighter.
Sure Patterson lost to Listo in the first round, but he also won some good ones.

I remember my previous ju jitsu trainer competed in some heavy knock down competition - in the military school - so half of the guys were school cadets, also their teacher competed.
My teacher and cadets teacher met in the finals. They both had their 6 full contact fights since this point behind them. The difference was everytime military teacher encountered one of his students - the student faked some full contact and got beaten easily. So my teacher was derranged and the other guy had like 2 real fights behind him.
In the middle of a round my teacher recieved high mawashi to the head - breaking his nose, he wanted to continue fighting but was stopped by a doctor.
The next day, after loosing a lot of blood, having simple nose surgery in the evening etc. he went as usual to the class - he started doing our 500 pushups/500 squats routine and did it until he lost consciosnes at some point - probably due to blood loss previous day. We had to force him to go home when we waked him up.

Sure my trainer lost, but for me he proved to be someone, a sensei and deserved highest respect, the other guy was nothing.
Last edited by bartekb on Thu May 29, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey MasterKiller, Nice Whitman quotes. Hes the man.

As far as the thread goes... It depends on the person I think. Some people will need some talking, others just do.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 am

johnwang wrote:凡有比賽,一定要有充分准備,要有必勝把握,“不勝不摔”,不然就不摔,那怕甘拜下風都行。

If you want to compete, you will need well prepared. If you don't have 100% confidence then don't compete.

不鳴則己一鳴驚人

You can be silent all your life but the moment that you open your mouth, you should scare the hell out of everybody.

I think "well prepared" is the KEY here not, & not the prep talk.

If the fighter trains VERY hard, and still lost the problem points back to the coach.
Maybe the coach is not teaching well.
One has not control over the skill the other opponent are, only be "well prepared" ourself.

In my first SC tournament in Cleveland, I was not very prepared for how strong most SC opponents are.
I lost two SC match to one VERY VERY strong guy (he got 1st place in my wt division), and another guy that has very only ONE very move.

In my second SC tournament in Austin i did a little bit better, since JW gave me some great last minute coaching.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 am

John:

Did you compete ths last Ohio tournament? David's student is the 260 lb big guy.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Fri May 30, 2008 2:22 am

johnwang wrote:John:

Did you compete ths last Ohio tournament? David's student is the 260 lb big guy.

i was in Taiwan & Central Police University this year.

hope i will get to meet him next time.... I like to wrestle big guy for strength, and understanding of my progress.
Last edited by iwalkthecircle on Fri May 30, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 am

well, the greatest thing about competition- one guy will win! that is also the hardest thing.

if we can't handle losing, then we shouldn't compete. i take that risk when i step on the mat. sometimes it is very humbling to lose.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri May 30, 2008 11:22 am

johnwang wrote:John:

I met his student and he was very nice. I think he is physically stronger than I am although I had 11lbs on him at weigh in. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to have a match with him. His first opponent was very large but not in good shape and had already had one match, David's student had to wait close to 2 hours before his first match, he was very patient. David's students second match he won pretty easily I thought.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Muad'dib on Fri May 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Just a question on this character

In Japanese this character means to cry out,If the Japanese and Chinese are similar enough this means the way an animal cries out. In English there are a variety of terms which might apply here, but roar is the most appropriate. Given the situation and the meaning it seems to be conveying wouldn't it be better to say something along the lines of "you can never roar your whole life, but if you do scare the hell out of someone"? Because otherwise it makes it seem like talking. I can never speak and then walk up to a child and say "I'm going to kill and eat you", and I'll scare them. It's not the same.

Every contest has a loser, though. Most losers go into a fight thinking they will win.

Just like law school. GOD I AM DONE!
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Josealb wrote:Nice riposte, Mkiller. I believe Yoda sums up the best of the two worlds...

"Try no. Do or do not."

Word.

I was in a waiting room, or a hotel, or someplace lately where the TV was just on a channel for background and something to distract the chatter, and there was an episode of "The Montel Williams Show" on, and they were talking about out-of-control kids who were basically bullying their parents and being little demons, and then this therapist type comes on and is all like "Okay, well, here's what we're gonna do, we're gonna try to give you some communication tools, and we're gonna try to give you some motivational tools, and we're gonna try to..." and I was like,

Pffft. "Try not, do, or do not, there is no try."

Yoda FTW.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Sat May 31, 2008 2:30 pm

johnwang wrote:Do you think the order that David gave to his student was the main reason that his student won or there are something else? When you send your students (or your teacher sends you) to fight in tournament, what suggestion do you give (or received)?

Well, in the context of combat it actually makes perfect sense. I mean, can you imagine telling a navy bomber pilot or soldier behind enemy lines that it's ok to lose? Or that he should loosen up and have fun? In actual combat, losing = death, capture or worse. So yes, I can understand why he gave him that order.

I think it goes back the whole idea of a reserve of strength that is called upon in urgent situations, like the frail woman lifting up a car to save her child, or running into a burning building, etc.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby JuanM on Sat May 31, 2008 7:50 pm

bigphatwong wrote:I think it goes back the whole idea of a reserve of strength that is called upon in urgent situations, like the frail woman lifting up a car to save her child, or running into a burning building, etc.

Dude, when have you EVA hear a story of a frail woman lifting up a car to save her child. I'm calling bullshit on that. :-*
JuanM
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan