throwing dummies?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: throwing dummies?

Postby CaliG on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am

I was using an 80 pound bag and doing a fireman's carry complete with squats and a short duck walk wasn't nearly as easy as on a body or a dummy.

Just curious have you ever tried throwing on of these grappling dummies? Because although a bag is ok, the dummy is the closest thing to the real thing, you don't have to modify your technique very much. For example when I do the fireman's carry I reach through the legs very deep so when I pick them up I am right under them. Not to mention you can do leg picks on a legged dummy and go straight into some leg locks (no ankles), exactly the way you'd do it for real.

When I got this DVD, I was able to do all the throws on the dummy (except the scissors).

I suppose the UFC bag is a step up but I didn't hear that much good feedback on those from the jiu-jitsu forums.

The main criticism I hear about the dummy is the money, which I understand because I had to save up for a long time for this one but when you really break it down the price of a grappling dummy is about the same as an unlimited pass at an MMA gym for two months, but in this case you only pay once.

Again just my 2 cents, I'm not selling grappling dummies. If a bag works for you that's cool.

But if you are interested in buying one give me a call at my office 1-800-DUM-MMIES! ;D Where I'll get you a hell of a deal. ;)
Last edited by CaliG on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
CaliG

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 am

Can you link the dummy you have Cali G?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:24 am

They are about 50$ cheaper at combatsports.com :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:17 am

I use a standard heavy bag.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:49 am

I have one of the BOB punching bags at home.

I could probably under fill the base so I could throw it, I don't think that the unit itself would withstand the throws. I use it to set up for head and body throws so after I feel the setting up of the throw, I switch back to hitting or to another throw position. The throws you can set up are kind of limited, but it is fun and you can get a decent workout from it.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:36 am

So here's a vid of me and my dummy.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4327&p=75505&hilit=grappling+dummy#p75505

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

G
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 am

hey

I don;t think throwing the bob base is such a good idea.. i managed to break mine by just practicing shin kicking followed by punch onthe thing :(

..Nice dummy G, wish I could find someone in Europe who sells them at a reasonable price.. cheapest i can find for a good one is 850$

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 am

yusuf wrote:hey

I don;t think throwing the bob base is such a good idea.. i managed to break mine by just practicing shin kicking followed by punch onthe thing :(

..Nice dummy G, wish I could find someone in Europe who sells them at a reasonable price.. cheapest i can find for a good one is 850$

yusuf

Thanks, JW got me hip to these.

I had always wondered about them and then read a review he wrote on them and decided to save a dollar a day until I could afford one.

They're not cheap, but I think if you take good care of them one should last you a very long time.

G
CaliG

Postby CaliG on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:45 pm

Cool clip...

CaliG

Postby iwalkthecircle on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:42 pm

buy a full body snow suit dickies & stuff with old rags while sealing everyThing with duckTape.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan