what's the deal with the wu style lean?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: what's the deal with the wu style lean?

Postby Fubo on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I also don't consider straight leg to mean locked. When you lock your arm out it actually bends slightly back, I don't think most peoples legs extends quite as much but I think we are all on the same page, Locking out any joint in taiji is a nono.

Does Wu style teach to "tuck" the tailbone?

I agree the straightening the arm doesn't not mean locking the elbow, but as you said, the leg doesn't extend as much. The comment was specific to that part of the body.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:47 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote: Locking out any joint in taiji is a nono.

Locking out any joint in any CMA style is nono. The reason is simple, at that moment your limb can not "spring - Fajin". The only exception is when you stretch, you will have to lock your joint but that's training and not combat. Youyr limbs should look straight but it's bend. It should look bend but it's straight. Those are general rules in all CMA styles. The modern Wushu may not follow this rule but all TCMA do follow this rule.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 am

Fubo wrote:The definition of a completely straight leg is where the knee joint meets it's maximum position of extension.

Your spine is also not suppose to be "straight". Trying to create a "straight" spine also create areas of "excess muscle tension", and ultimately hinder it's function relative to it's natural design.

true point on the spine, which echoes my point.

regarding straight leg:
in that case, i mean straight enough so that it supports weight without having to use muscle, 99.5% straight. rather than 70% straight. I'd assume that the 100% straight (so much that you're using unnecessary muscles) is factored out by other commonsense rules....
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:59 am

I try to not take anything for granted when it comes to TJQ on forums, as "common sense" (regarding the skeletal structure and healthy spinal positioning and practices) seems to allude more than a few TJQ practitioners I've met.
Last edited by Fubo on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm

well most martial arts teachers tend to teach 100 motions or 1000 motions rather than making sure the basics are sound.

you know, people will keep coming to a class and paying money to learn a new motion... but who will come to class to practice the same motion over and over again? i find few are interested in that.... the student is often disappointed (I admit to being one of them) when he doesn't get to learn a new motion, but instead has to re-review the ones he still isn't perfect at.

but after years of practice with the very basics, the 'common sense' things start to lock in place and all the other motions are correct automatically.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm

chicagoTaiJi wrote:well most martial arts teachers tend to teach 100 motions or 1000 motions rather than making sure the basics are sound.

you know, people will keep coming to a class and paying money to learn a new motion... but who will come to class to practice the same motion over and over again? i find few are interested in that.... the student is often disappointed (I admit to being one of them) when he doesn't get to learn a new motion, but instead has to re-review the ones he still isn't perfect at.

but after years of practice with the very basics, the 'common sense' things start to lock in place and all the other motions are correct automatically.

I go to class to develop skill, motions are moot.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Fubo wrote:I try to not take anything for granted when it comes to TJQ on forums, as "common sense"

I was just discussing this with my guys yesterday. When we use

- Peng, we can scoop.
- Lu, we can spring.
- Gi or An, we can hook.

Those "scoop", "spring", and "hook" are pretty much as "common sense" but for some "unknown" reason, those leg moves were not emphasized enough in Taiji.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Whats the deal with not telling people who you are? Most of the guys know each other here. Its just simple courtesy, not to mention knowing a bit where your viewpoint comes from (attaching the opinion to an actual person, instead of a fake cyber id).

Just an opinion.
Last edited by Josealb on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Josealb wrote:Whats the deal with not telling people who you are? Most of the guys know each other here. Its just simple courtesy, not to mention knowing a bit where your viewpoint comes from (attaching the opinion to an actual person, instead of a fake cyber id).

Agreed, Jose.

So it's probably safe to assume that he's dodging these inquiries in order to protect a fake persona of self-acclaimed expertise. :-\

What a surprise, eh? We've never seen that here before. ::)

Doc Stier ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
Josealb wrote:Whats the deal with not telling people who you are? Most of the guys know each other here. Its just simple courtesy, not to mention knowing a bit where your viewpoint comes from (attaching the opinion to an actual person, instead of a fake cyber id).

Agreed, Jose.

So it's probably safe to assume that he's dodging these inquiries in order to protect a fake persona of self-acclaimed expertise. :-\

Doc Stier ;)

thats fine, im not here to argue with anyone else as much as gain understanding from them... I am not using my lineage or personality to try and make any of my points...
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Daniel on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 pm

chicagoTaiJi wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:

Agreed, Jose.

Doc Stier ;)

thats fine, im not here to argue with anyone else as much as gain understanding from them... I am not using my lineage or personality to try and make any of my points...

Chicago, on this thread, as well as on others, you have made very dogmatic statements about training, implying that other people should be taking that for granted. Now you´ve been asked several times about your teachers and lineage, and reply with an accusation against others here that they are using their lineage and personality to make their points.

I asked you very curteously twice last year, twice now, and you respond this way instead of simply standing for your opinions through at least your lineage, if not name. I think you are a troll, and will consider your posts as trolling from now on.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Daniel wrote:Chicago, on this thread, as well as on others, you have made very dogmatic statements about training, implying that other people should be taking that for granted. Now you´ve been asked several times about your teachers and lineage, and reply with an accusation against others here that they are using their lineage and personality to make their points.

I asked you very curteously twice last year, twice now, and you respond this way instead of simply standing for your opinions through at least your lineage, if not name. I think you are a troll, and will consider your posts as trolling from now on.

Daniel, I am ok with that, I apologize, and I will also stop posting on this forum.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

chicagoTaiJi wrote:
Daniel wrote:Chicago, on this thread, as well as on others, you have made very dogmatic statements about training, implying that other people should be taking that for granted. Now you´ve been asked several times about your teachers and lineage, and reply with an accusation against others here that they are using their lineage and personality to make their points.

Daniel, I am ok with that, I apologize, and I will also stop posting on this forum.

Doc :-*
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:37 pm

bye Doc, been nice talking with you!
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 pm

chicagoTaiJi wrote:bye Doc, been nice talking with you!

Catch you later, man. Train hard and keep thinking it through. It all comes down to you at the end of the day. ;)

Doc :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan