what's the deal with the wu style lean?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: what's the deal with the wu style lean?

Postby Sprint on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:18 am

Ba-men wrote:
The advanced stage: Here Time and Space become the focus. In other words: The application of Tempo and Movement become the focus..The how to apply/manipulate both factors using the applications (strategy and tactics) of the art. Here you study manipulating others tempo and movement. When two masters meet they fight over these to factors...The loser..gets to receive his opponent's application/technique.

Sorry to butt in at the end here, but can you explain this a bit more? Unless I am missing something this does not sound all that advanced. In karate for example this is something which is taught fairly early on in the students development. I'm sure it's the same with boxing and probably most contact martial arts.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 am

It´s an incredibly fascinating field, and you can keep researching it no matter how old you get. :)

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby ppscat on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 am

Daniel wrote:Dance is about the four dimensions and emotion.
Genuine IMA is about the four dimensions and power.

This post just deserves a thread on its own!

ppscat
Anjing

Postby Ba-men on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Sprint wrote:
Ba-men wrote:
Sorry to butt in at the end here, but can you explain this a bit more? Unless I am missing something this does not sound all that advanced. In karate for example this is something which is taught fairly early on in the students development. I'm sure it's the same with boxing and probably most contact martial arts.

Well ....Spirit I've just emptied my cup and have sat at your side:

I humbly ask....

What are the ways to manipulate your opponent's tempo?
What are the ways to keep your tempo from being manipulated by your opponent?

What are the ways to use the opponent's movements to gain an advantage?
What are the ways to keep from having your own movements use against you?

How do you train to adapt to these manipulations on the fly?

I await...You should be able to write a very long post on these subjects...( I know I could...) I promise that I will read every word that u write.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation...
Ba-men
Last edited by Ba-men on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am

Doc Stier wrote:
chicagoTaiJi wrote:bye Doc, been nice talking with you!

Catch you later, man. Train hard and keep thinking it through. It all comes down to you at the end of the day. ;)

Doc :)

good advice

unfortunately people in this community are more interested in showing their credentials and using their teachers' name than making a point based on reason and science.

I will never use my teachers names like a girl flashing the crowd on mardi gras for some beads.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Daniel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

Troll on the Board.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:16 am

Daniel, what does not answering you have to do with the topic? I don't care if you think I am a "troll". Why are you being so confrontational? I was having a nice, fruitful discussion with Fubo earlier.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Josealb on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:47 am

chicagoTaiJi wrote:unfortunately people in this community are more interested in showing their credentials and using their teachers' name than making a point based on reason and science.

People on this board are the same as people anywhere. Its just polite to introduce yourself when asked, if you plan on giving opinions. Opinions should be attached to a person, its simple civility. What exactly dont you get about it?

Then again, i remember you saying something once about dying on the battlefield is the greatest honor or some other crap like that....so you must have your own very special set of rules to social life. ;D

I will also stop posting on this forum.

Just a reminder.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Josealb,

thanks for your concern and advice.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:33 am

Chicago,

I don't think anyone is looking for you to use your teacher to validate your opinion, but rather telling people a little about your experience and how you developed it gives others a point of perspective as to your back ground, experience and "maybe" where and how your opinions were developed. Making generalities about an entire forum of people (especially this one where there are a lot of experienced people) doesn't help the credibility of your opinion either.

Just a suggestion:)
Fubo
Wuji

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:59 am

Fubo, thanks for your advice, I'll definitely take it to heart.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby nianfong on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:01 pm

chicago taiji, there are other users who do not like divulging their teacher's name for many reasons. what we really need to know is what style do you train, and for how long have you been training? from where/who you learn is also good information. sometimes differences in opinion are purely stylistic within a system (in this case the taiji system). there are different ways to interpret fundamental things in each system.

personally I think the wu style lean is because it's small circle, so is more shuai-jiao like. and we tend to have a lean in many shuaijiao techniques as well, for leverage reasons.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:26 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Does Wu style teach to "tuck" the tailbone?

I am still curious about this.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Does Wu style teach to "tuck" the tailbone?

I am still curious about this.

Over the admittedly short time I studied Wu style I was taught to tuck the tailbone when standing without a lean, and I think when standing with a lean the tailbone was untucked. Cdobe or someone else who has more experience can likely answer this better than me though. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Ba-men wrote:
Well ....Spirit I've just emptied my cup and have sat at your side:

I humbly ask....

What are the ways to manipulate your opponent's tempo?
What are the ways to keep your tempo from being manipulated by your opponent?

What are the ways to use the opponent's movements to gain an advantage?
What are the ways to keep from having your own movements use against you?

How do you train to adapt to these manipulations on the fly?

I await...You should be able to write a very long post on these subjects...( I know I could...) I promise that I will read every word that u write.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation...
Ba-men

You don't sound all that humble, actually you come across as sarcastic and more than just a little patronizing. It also sounds like you don't like being questioned or answered back to. Actually you also come across as more than a little aggressive, and finally you seem to be more than a little pleased with yourself "( I know I could)".

So instead of answering an honestly asked question I'm supposed to justify myself to you...? What, so you can see whether it's within you to stoop to my level and educate someone you have already decided is probably too ignorant to be bothered with.

Do you not think I have ever fought someone then? Or maybe that I have but so rarely that I never got round to figuring out all this advanced stuff. Maybe I fight all the time and get my ass kicked every time.

Before I finish let me give you an idea of where I am at in relation to your questions. You'll forgive me, I hope, for using someone else's words (Bruce Kumar Frantzis). When most people fight "It's like a staccato drum beat - an ever repeating pattern between relax, recharge, tense relax etc. Very often, without most people realizing it, there's an unconscious time lapse between when they stop and when they recharge. And in this gap or pause, the mind often unconsciously goes temporarily blank, leaving the body without power, if only for a very small amount of time."

He continues "If you reach a stage where your mind ceases to disconnect, you start to noticing how other people disconnect in almost invisible, micro-intervals of time. When you catch someone in the gap between a disconnect and a re-connect, a stop and a re-ignition, you will find that they are frozen and defenseless, if only for micro seconds at a time."

Now what I am talking about in quoting Mr Frantzis is a level of skill that depends on your shen fa and how well developed it is. Maybe this is what you were driving at with your questions, but I doubt it.
Sprint
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan