Courtyard training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Courtyard training

Postby eshan on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:06 am

We've had some of those wannabes in the park, during our classes. One time the thing took a different turn.

So this guys comes and hangs his handkerchief from a branch of a nearby tree. Starts hitting it
with high and jumping kicks, then splits and some fist work. Then he starts low kicking
the tree with his bare shins (he was in shorts). Turned out he was a former Thai boxing champion
of Morocco. At first it seemed a challenge but he only wanted to talk and was respectful. In fact,
more than most of the usual visitors.

Josealb wrote:Heh...we love it when the occasional Van Dame walk by and just keeps his distance, but starts doing splits and high kicks.
eshan
Santi

Postby RickMatz on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:34 pm

A friend of mine has a very nice sized deck on the back of his house, with lattice sides. Plenty of light gets in, but no one can really watch what you're doing.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby JusticeZero on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:12 pm

For many, that's all that's available. My puzzle right now is how to make training equipment for places that I can't permanently alter the grounds.
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby BonesCom on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm

JusticeZero wrote:For many, that's all that's available. My puzzle right now is how to make training equipment for places that I can't permanently alter the grounds.

What kind of eqipment do you need?
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby JusticeZero on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Something like a striking post. I see 'here's how to build one' stuff, and they bury the base in the ground to anchor it in place, or otherwise involve a semipermanent base. The best I can do is tie things to a tree for an hour or two, or something of the sort. I live in a third floor apartment with no elevator.
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby BonesCom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 pm

JusticeZero wrote:Something like a striking post. I see 'here's how to build one' stuff, and they bury the base in the ground to anchor it in place, or otherwise involve a semipermanent base. The best I can do is tie things to a tree for an hour or two, or something of the sort. I live in a third floor apartment with no elevator.

Hmmm, where I live we have a lot of netball hoops around the place, most of the time these are just car tyres filled with concrete with a pole in the middle, maybe you could construct a dismantlable one (with a bit of downpipe for the post to go in, leave the tyre downstairs somewhere and take the pole with you? Might be a good warm-up pushing the tyre to training :)
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby inky on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm

affa wrote:taiji really does relax the cows (if they know you). they don't seem to like the xingyi so much though -shrug-

the cattle on the farm where i work will just moo at me constantly till they get fed if i train in the yard (which gets really annoying) can't wait for them to go out into the fields in the next 2 weeks.

i used to train in a car park near me, an old peoples home over looked it and i could feel the burning sensation in the back of my head from the people watching from the window. they were nice enough, some would come down and talk to me about it. i stopped training there after one of my "sword sunday" sessions turned a bit wierd with multiple police cars, lots of screaming and armed police on the way type scenario.

i tend to train at home or at the farm where i work now.
inky
Santi

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:55 pm

One day the wind blew down the basket ball board and it wasn't fixed for a long time. I used it for dagger throwing practicing target every night in Taiwan. One evening a police man came over and talked to me. He was very impressive how accuracy that I could throw my dagger 15 feet away. Instead of stopping me from doing that, he gave me a lot of encouragement. I assume the cop in US would arrest me instead.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 pm

I think so, too!
edededed
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan