Purpose of MA competition

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Purpose of MA competition

Postby Fubo on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 pm

johnwang wrote:
This may be the problem for someone who just want to have fun, get some tournament experience, or invest in lose. Without enough preparation before the tournament, without a proper game plan, if that person lose, he may feel discourage and quit for the rest of his life.

I completely agree that you need to prepare the best you can for competition, even if your intention is to get experience and have fun. I've also known a couple of people that quit Judo after not doing well in their first competition... I think it could be fear, a realization of one's true level, or just realizing that they are not willing to put the time and effort in to gaining the ability. I think it's important to compete with a winner's attitude, but have the ability to take the lesson if a loss happens.

What happened when and after your guys fought the national champions?
Fubo
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Losing sucks, even when you pretend it doesn't mater. Plain and simple. Human nature is to be attracted to things you like and move away from things you don't - it is the root of all suffering, according to some chap called Buddah, anyway.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:31 am

Fubo wrote:What happened when and after your guys fought the national champions?

After the 1st tournament in Taipei (there were 2 more tournaments in Tai Nan and Gao Xiong), my students had a party with all the Taiwan fighters. After they had found out that one Taiwan fighter had spent the entire 2 years just train the "hip throw" only, my students finally believed that "less is better" after that day (most students in US want to learn 4, 5 moves in 1 class period).
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:49 am

johnwang wrote:
Fubo wrote:What happened when and after your guys fought the national champions?

After the 1st tournament in Taipei (there were 2 more tournaments in Tai Nan and Gao Xiong), my students had a party with all the Taiwan fighters. After they had found out that one Taiwan fighter had spent the entire 2 years just train the "hip throw" only, my students finally believed that "less is better" after that day (most students in US want to learn 4, 5 moves in 1 class period).

My Judo school hosted a 2 time Olympic silver medalist, 1 tine Bronze and world champion... she taught us her Tai Otoshi and a few ways to apply it... she said her teacher chose that throw for her because she was small, and she spent 2 years only on that throw. When someone asked why she spent so much time on only one throw she said that is what it takes to "own" a throw.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:13 am

Fubo wrote: to "own" a throw.

It's so funny that you may be able to

- write a book of 400 moves.
- film a DVD of 100 moves.
- demonstrate 20 moves in person.

but you may only "own" 5 or 6 moves maximum in your life time.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:24 am

i`m with Ian and Graham choir
+
i can add that fight i official competion
is quite different than frendly training encounter or even hardest randori in "home dojo",

it is as close to the "real thing"as possible
in terms of emotional level
so
big tournament witch audience is mandatory in any serious MA training

"...2 years just train the "hip throw" only,"

One move polisched to perfection...
I agree only
if you doesn`t close your eyes for all aspects of the Art
otherwise this "shure thing"
works
for untrained persons only

my 2polisch c. :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 am

The purpose of any competition is to grow.

A tree that is not stressed will not grow. It will wither and die.
A mind that is not stressed will remain ignorant.
An art that is not used, will stagnate and grow dull.
A blade left unsharpened will be useless when needed.

I can go on forever with the anecdotes, metaphors and analogies as to what the purpose of competition is.
I especially like the sex selection stuff! lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby jafc on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 am

When I competed I always went for the win,
But I've always invested in lose. It's through this approach I made my greatest Progress.

Exactly, cuz if you don't try to win, why even show up?
If you don't lose every once & a while, how are you gonna learn? Winning every time means either you really are that good (unlikely) or you are not challenging yourself. Every competitor is gonna have their "on" day but you are gonna learn more on their "on" day than your "on" day.

JC
jafc
Mingjing

Postby Frazetta on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:53 am

Fubo wrote:I've also known a couple of people that quit Judo after not doing well in their first competition... I think it could be fear, a realization of one's true level, or just realizing that they are not willing to put the time and effort in to gaining the ability. I think it's important to compete with a winner's attitude, but have the ability to take the lesson if a loss happens.

I worked my way up through my first Gong Fu school by beating all of my senior brothers in no-gloves sparring over a period of years and as my level allowed. Each time, they came in with overconfidence, a size advantage, seniority, etc. Each time that I handed one's ass to them I held back and didn't knock them out or hurt them too much (you've got to hurt them a little ;) ) when I could have and when they started by trying to take my head off. They were my training brothers and I wanted to train with them, not kill them. Each time one lost so poorly in front of the class they gave up and never came again, which was not my plan. Lot's of people do poorly with loss and don't invest in it. Once they taste it they give up. I agree, when you lose, someone whips you, whatever, you should evaluate the problems and work on fixing them. I've lost plenty and there are at least a million fighters that could beat the hell out of me, but each time something works against me it puts a fire inside me to fix what I did wrong and have another go from a new perspective. Cheers.
Last edited by Frazetta on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby BruceP on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:30 pm

When an archer shoots for nothing, he has all his skill
When he shoots for a brass buckle, his skill is divided. He already cares.
When he shoots for a prize of gold, he goes out of his mind. He sees 2 targets.
The need to win robs him of his skill and drains him of his power.
-Chuang Tzu-
BruceP
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan