what is MMA missing?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: what is MMA missing?

Postby BruceP on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:[/b]
I have mentioned on previous threads that if your art is an authentic art it should completely prepare you for all eventualities of combat , striking, kicking, throwing, locking, groundfighting,whatever is encountered in the course of conflict. Every TIMA , Bagua, Tai Chi, and Xing I, among the "Big Three" encompasses these necessities in it's arsenals, if you take the time to learn the art

oo oo oo...I wanna be the first to say it. Are you ready? Ok, here it goes;

Oh yeah, that's just common sense

How long have you had this idea knocking around in you melon, wanderingdragon? It wasn't long ago (yesterday maybe) that that kinda thinking meant that you weren't really training authentic ima.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 am

Chris McKinley wrote:D_Glenn,
No thanks....I'll be out in the backyard eating red meat, smoking cigars and drinking scotch with Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchill and G. Gordon Liddy enjoying my uncultured Neanderthal status. ;D

lets not forget to call ...Denny Crain... ;D
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:17 am

Shooter wrote:
Wanderingdragon wrote:[/b]
I have mentioned on previous threads that if your art is an authentic art it should completely prepare you for all eventualities of combat , striking, kicking, throwing, locking, groundfighting,whatever is encountered in the course of conflict. Every TIMA , Bagua, Tai Chi, and Xing I, among the "Big Three" encompasses these necessities in it's arsenals, if you take the time to learn the art

oo oo oo...I wanna be the first to say it. Are you ready? Ok, here it goes;

Oh yeah, that's just common sense

How long have you had this idea knocking around in you melon, wanderingdragon? It wasn't long ago (yesterday maybe) that that kinda thinking meant that you weren't really training authentic ima.

No Scooter, common sense is in knowing this fight is over.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 am

Wonderingdragon, what fight?
Last edited by BruceP on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Ah! you noticed
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:57 pm

You know, I'm kinda disappointed that this thread went the direction it did and even, to some extent, that it was framed this way in the first place. We had a few interesting threads last year that, maybe for the first time on this forum, began to discuss the pragmatic aspects of the MMA approach to training in a fairly objective way without setting up an "us vs. them" argument yet again.

Just as importantly, there were several good ideas shared regarding how to take our TMA material and work it such that it yielded a similar pragmatic functionality to that found in the arts that usually comprise the MMA amalgam. It seems now, though, that instead of following through on some of those ideas and seeing where our curiosity might take us, we're back to viewing the situation as TMA versus MMA again. In fact, the tone of this very thread began by framing MMA as somehow needing exposure as to the myriad of weaknesses it contains, but yet somehow hides from the unknowing general public. There was also an implied "superiority of IMA" tone to it as well. Sadly, this spoke more to jealousy than anything productive. Perhaps we managed to salvage something of use out of it eventually, but really....can't we get past this mindset? Those on the MMA side abandoned the MMA/TMA feud a number of years ago now. It seems only those of us on the TMA side still seem to want to dredge it up again for the drama.
Chris McKinley

Postby mrtoes on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:13 pm

Chris I really doubt Yusuf wanted to create a confrontation with his question, but rather was looking for a new spin on a familiar discussion. Always difficult to see how these things will turn out (well or maybe not so surprising in retrospect)

The trouble is it's something for all sorts of people to push their particular viewpoint on. What is MMA? Competing in the sports combat we all know and love and the associated ruleset? Studying thai boxing with BJJ with takedowns? Any mixture of cross training that includes striking, standing grappling and ground fighting? Formless as opposed to form training? Modern strength building methods instead of traditional? Clarifying that would take a lot of the "us and them" out of it I think, as we could be objective rather than engaging in labelling.

I've been following both threads with interest anyway and look forward to further discussion on this one. Perhaps framed in a way that doesn't rub against people so much. I don't think I know enough to contribute myself and also I'm deliberately keeping my mind open. I'd be amazed if they don't both have something to offer. What I do know both MMA and TMA guys who can take me out with very little trouble whatsoever :) Clearly you can go a long way with either.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks Mr Toes :)

Chris... I would be interested to hear more on this, not just for my own training benefit but maybe also to dispel some of the idolatry on both sides of the divide. Here is hoping that those of you who do have the knowledge are willing to open a thread with a more sensible context.

peace

yusuf
Last edited by yusuf on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:10 pm

yusuf,

I was probably venting as much as you were, really. There are a few threads that I'll have to search up, but for the next couple of hours, I'm dealing with 70-80 mph straight winds and a huge grass fire in the state, so I'll have to get to it later this evening.
Chris McKinley

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:32 am

Chris McKinley wrote:You know, I'm kinda disappointed that this thread went the direction it did and even, to some extent, that it was framed this way in the first place. We had a few interesting threads last year that, maybe for the first time on this forum, began to discuss the pragmatic aspects of the MMA approach to training in a fairly objective way without setting up an "us vs. them" argument yet again.

Just as importantly, there were several good ideas shared regarding how to take our TMA material and work it such that it yielded a similar pragmatic functionality to that found in the arts that usually comprise the MMA amalgam. It seems now, though, that instead of following through on some of those ideas and seeing where our curiosity might take us, we're back to viewing the situation as TMA versus MMA again. In fact, the tone of this very thread began by framing MMA as somehow needing exposure as to the myriad of weaknesses it contains, but yet somehow hides from the unknowing general public. There was also an implied "superiority of IMA" tone to it as well. Sadly, this spoke more to jealousy than anything productive. Perhaps we managed to salvage something of use out of it eventually, but really....can't we get past this mindset? Those on the MMA side abandoned the MMA/TMA feud a number of years ago now. It seems only those of us on the TMA side still seem to want to dredge it up again for the drama.

Unfortunately It seems any talk to MMA usually devolves into TMA vs MMA. However I also find the general attitude of many people regarding this very question to be close minded. They act like if you say their art is missing X then that is an attack on what they practice. If anything by helping define clearly what areas of combat any art develop it allows us as practitioners to evaluate that art in context to what we seek to gain by practicing martial arts. There isn't anything wrong with an art missing something, there is simply too much to include every aspect of every type of combat from sport to military and everything in between.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:33 am

Calmly, objectively and rationally spoken, sir.
Chris McKinley

Postby JusticeZero on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:36 am

Honestly, i'm on the verge of classifying "MMA" (Does anyone know of any other names for this?) AS a european TMA.
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby RobP2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:38 am

JusticeZero wrote:Honestly, i'm on the verge of classifying "MMA" (Does anyone know of any other names for this?) AS a european TMA.

Longswords and bows - that's what it's been missing!
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 am

Ahem, Rob.....maybe your practice is missing those things. Mine also has shield, glaive, knife, axe and spear! I'm an SCA geek. We just had a big demonstration fair last weekend and another fighting event this weekend. :P
Chris McKinley

Postby RobP2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:33 am

Haha touche! Well I'm not averse to a bit of sword work.... Actually one of our guys trains in English backsword, quarterstaff and wrestling, so we get some interesting stuff from him.

Good luck this weekend!
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan