跤好撂,手难学 - easy to learn throws, hard to learn grip fight

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 跤好撂,手难学 - easy to learn throws, hard to learn grip fight

Postby Fubo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:42 pm

johnwang wrote:
Of course if your opponent has winter jacket on then everything will remain the same.

That means my Gi training will be useful here in the Midwest for 6-7 months of the year. ;D Seasonal martial arts. I try to practice as much no gi as possible, when possible.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:34 pm

johnwang wrote:You will use more "wrapping" instead. You use one of your hands to wrap one of your opponent's arms, control his elbow with your hands and control his wrist with your arm pit (2 points control). You can also grab the inner part of his upper arm and dig your fingers into his muscle and skin. But this will require some grip strength training. You can also use under hook, over hook, head lock, waist surround, neck pull, ... to obtain the contact points that you need. It's like to switch from Gi Judo to no Gi Judo, it's not a simple task. The more experience that you have with the Gi Judo, the harder it is for you to switch into no Gi Judo. The reason is simple, the lapel that you used to depend on for your throws is no longer there. The SC side door control is completely none exist in no Gi environemnt. In other words, if your throwing skill depend heavily on you lapel grip, you pretty much have to relearn your throwing skill all over again. If your favor move is head lock then your problem is much less and all you need is to change your sleeve grip into your arm wrap. If you like to play defense and counter moves and you prefer to stay behind of your opponent then there is nothing need to be changed there. A tie, herd, spin, single leg pick, double legs pull, embrace, knee lift, inner block, trap, ... will work identical between Gi and no Gi environment.

It's kind of scary feeling in the 1st couple years of your evolution. You may feel that some of your past experience had been wasted (this is why so many people still are not willing to evolve yet). Since SC is more similar to wrestling than Judo does, the evolution is much easier for SC and harder for Judo.

Of course if your opponent has winter jacket on then everything will remain the same.

Thanks for the tips, I was recently having a pretty decent run against a wrestler and I know it was because of the lapel grip, since it allowed me to keep him at the distance I wanted him at.

Then the other day I was playing with a friend without much experience (jacketless) and I had a hard time controlling him playing my usual game. It gave me something to think about. I did notice that the keeping two on his power arm stopped him from being able to do anything, but also I couldn't do anything.

I think I need to spend some time doing the pummeling drill.

In SC is the overhook/whizzer usually used as a counter?

Last edited by CaliG on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby johnwang on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:47 pm

CaliG wrote:(jacketless) and I had a hard time controlling him playing my usual game.

You can still put your hand on your opponent's lapel position by putting your fore arm on his chest and your hand "hook" on the back of his neck. This way your elbow can still prevent him from coming too close. If him tries to punch you with the other hand, you can always raise your elbow to jam his punch. You can also slide your arm into a head lock or over hook if you need. This arm position in SC is called "mantis arm" (if you can image how mantis use it's fore-arm).
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:16 am

johnwang wrote:
CaliG wrote:(jacketless) and I had a hard time controlling him playing my usual game.

You can still put your hand on your opponent's lapel position by putting your fore arm on his chest and your hand "hook" on the back of his neck. This way your elbow can still prevent him from coming too close. If him tries to punch you with the other hand, you can always raise your elbow to jam his punch. You can also slide your arm into a head lock or over hook if you need. This arm position in SC is called "mantis arm" (if you can image how mantis use it's fore-arm).

I didn't even know that had a name. I use that a lot since I practice without a jacket most times.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:48 pm

JW, in SC do you guys do 2 handed belt grips?

In BJJ it's common for someone to just wrap their legs around you and fall to their back instead of going for the takedown. One thing I do to prevent this is grab their belt from the front and then the back to do a pick-up, kind of like the vid at 0:05.

It seems to be working well. It would be good to get your feedback on this throw.
CaliG

Postby nianfong on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I've never seen anyone lose at grip fighting so bad as to get both sides of their belt grabbed.... and in any case, that's not so good a control. you want to have one belt grip, and one grip on the outside somewhere. for embracing, behind the knee of one leg is good.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:24 pm

In BJJ it's common for someone to just wrap their legs around you and fall to their back instead of going for the takedown. One thing I do to prevent this is grab their belt from the front and then the back to do a pick-up, kind of like the vid at 0:05.

It seems to be working well. It would be good to get your feedback on this throw.

Where's the video of the dumbass who does that and gets his gourd smashed into the ground .
Last edited by shawnsegler on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks Fong, that would be a nice grip for a leg pick.

shawnsegler wrote:Where's the video of the dumbass who does that and gets his gourd smashed into the ground .

CaliG

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Gleh...that's like watching Joe Theisman get LT'd...so ugly.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 pm

was it the gracie that got kod?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Nah, Gracie was doing the slamming.
CaliG

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Do they call that "jump guard" in BJJ? I have always think it's a stupid idea to do that. It give you a perfect opportunity to drop your elbow right on his throat with your body weight behind it.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:46 pm

There's a huge heated grip thread active on the judo forum:

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopi ... =0&start=0

Good times,

G
Last edited by CaliG on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaliG

Postby johnwang on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 pm

CaliG wrote:JW, in SC do you guys do 2 handed belt grips?

I don't think it's a good strategy. You give your opponent's hands too much freedom. Usually you use one hand to grab the center of your opponent's belt (front or back) and another hand to control his leading arm. If both of your opponent's hands are free, he can "twist" your head and 'snap" your neck and that can counter almost any moves that you try to use. He can also use Taiji "twin peaks to the ears" on you in combat.

CaliG wrote:In BJJ it's common for someone to just wrap their legs around you and fall to their back instead of going for the takedown. One thing I do to prevent this is grab their belt from the front and then the back to do a pick-up, kind of like the vid at 0:05.

I usually just drop my elbow at my opponent's throat. After that he won't do that again. In SC, you are allow to hurt your opponent if he refuses to let go his grips during falling. I'm not sure the "elbow dropping during falling" is allowed in MMA rules or not.

CaliG wrote:There's a huge heated grip thread active on the judo forum:

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopi ... =0&start=0

The more that I look at Judo, the more that I can see the difference between 2 styles. Judo tries to stay in the "sport" environment while SC was always in "combat" environment. Sometime it's very difficult to convince any Judo guys that there are something called "combat" than just "sport".
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree about the judoforum, when you take everything from a sport
perspective then your mind will be closed to other considerations and
your only concern is how you win with a ref either by points or
impressing the judges and grappling against someone who has roughly
the same weight as you, which is obviously very different from what
you'll encounter on the streets which is complete and total chaos.
CaliG

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan